New member - first time rider - first bike '04 VN750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

New member - first time rider - first bike '04 VN750

Greetings all,

So glad I found this site.

Quick back story...turned forty today and was planning on getting another tattoo to celebrate. Instead, I decided to take an MSF course (mandatory here in FL, though I would have done it anyway), buy a bike and strike 'riding a motorcycle' off of my bucket list. Little did I know how lucky I am to live (Tampa, FL aka...sunshine coast) were I can ride comfortably with all my gear on at this time of year (yes, I wear it all; boots, overpants, jacket, full face helmet and gloves). I've been smiling and laughing like a five year old kid under my helmet every time I ride.

Anyway, as of four weeks ago I had never ridden, I am now the proud owner of a great bike (picture is exactly as in my sig file, down to mirrors and tires) and have managed to find this community with a wealth of information for this newbie!

I've put about 400 miles on the bike thus far and have been on the highway with it twice now back and forth two work 42 mile round trip.

I haven't done anything to the bike yet but put gas in it, I plan on proactively changing the oil and brake fluid this weekend (yes, with the help of a friend who has 15 years in the industry). And changing air filters as well. I also want to purchase a windshield (looking at the plexifairing 2 so I don't have to move the blinkers). Other than those three things, any other suggestions that I should be doing to a six year old bike?

Thank you to all of you, current and past members, for the valuable info that you've accrued here and which you offer to fellow owners freely. This site is invaluable!

Oh one more thing, what is the best way to go about finding an electronic copy of the owners manual/repair manual?

Lastly, I will be a supporting member of this site within the next week. It's well worth the small price for all of the information you freely offer.

Respectfully,

Gandalv aka The FNG

EDIT - Sig file isn't showing up for whatever reason...so adding it manually.

2004 Vulcan 750
Purchased November 9th, 2010 w/1216 miles
Found on Tampa Bay CL - listed for 3k paid $2400
First bike ever owned and first time rider

Last edited by Gandalv; 11-25-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Into the Darkness

That's really awesome to have you here as a member. With wanting to get a tattoo for your 40th birthday but instead buying a VN750 that is really awesome.

This website is full of great information and the members here are very helpful.

Happy Birthday and happy to see another proud owner of a VN750 and be careful out there on the road as a new rider.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
English Version

ACCT to MCCT conversion video
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18235

ACCT to MCCT Conversion Thread created by wib714
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

Proximity Construction
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness. I`m envious of your location now in winter, but not so much in the heat of summer. lol

Here`s the link to the manual.
http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf

See Ten Things link below for many more suggestions of maintenance/service/mods to be done to the bike.

I also suggest you spend some time on this safety site:
http://www.msgroup.org/

These folks are big on Parking Lot Practice (PLP) for new riders before riding the mean streets. Mr. James R. Davis, who is the founder and administator and a long time rider, continues to do 5 minutes of PLP on his 1500 Goldwing at a lot near his home before every ride. Paraphrasing him, he describes it as a chance to make sure that both the man and machine are ready for the ride that day. If anything feels *off*, like balance because of a head cold and blocked sinuses, perhaps the ride should be scrubbed that day. The evidence could be having to put your foot down to prevent a fall in slow speed, full lock turn.

I also recommend EVERY RIDER, NEW OR EXPERIENCED, read David L. Hough`s books on *Proficient Motorcyling - (#1) The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, and (#2) - Mastering the Ride*.
http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot.../dp/1889540536

If you read, digest, ponder and apply what you learn from these books and the safety site, it could save your life.

Enjoy the ride.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gandaly and many more. Boy did you fall through the right looking glass Alice! Welcome aboard, we are always happy to take another member who loves not only 2 wheels but the VN750.

My suggestion for a useful addition is running boards. Big increase in comfort since i put mine on. I love them. Use to KnifeMaker, but I am not sure the name of the other member who makes the same ones. In my opinion a great addition.

Ride safe and visit often bro.

:

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Yeah, Happy Birthday Gandalv, missed it in first post.

Floorboards available from at least 2 members, if you don`t want to make your own.

Knifemakers photo link to a bunch of his mods, including a drawing with measurements for the floorboards.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/
KM does not make them for sale anymore.

Cspinner uses the KM pattern:
Get your floor boards here http://www.chadsbike.com/floorboards.htm
http://s463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/Hawk_Vulcan/

lance328 also makes them, along with highway peg brackets, and a r/r relocation bracket from polished aluminum.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 11-26-2010 at 03:12 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

@NetMatrix - Thank you kindly for the welcome. I took a look at your restoration pictures. Glad you were able to get the bike into the basement to work on through the cold winter months! Looks like you have made lots of progress and will be ready to enjoy your hard work and dedication when spring rolls around.

@OlHossCanada - Thank you a thousand times over for the manual link. Quick question, is that still pertinent to my 2004? I took a quick look after downloading and thought I saw it was good through the 2001 model year. Can you clarify for me? I just added the msgroup.org link to my bookmarks to review later. I took a quick look on the amazon link and looks like I can pick up a used copy on the cheap! Lastly, you suggest running boards, those are on my wish list, however, I think the windshield will be first so I can get some of the wind off of me while going across the Tampa Bay from Tampa to St. Pete to work. 75mph with no windshield and riding upright on a cruiser is something that you can't describe to someone unless they have been there. I can't imagine going on a trip up to Orlando or down to the keys with one (not to mention lovebug season down here...yuck!).

@GemGuy - Damn right I did...to combine a few movie/story lines...I tripped, slipped and fell right in to the rabbit hole after taking the red pill... VN750=TheMatrix!!!

I am not sure I have much to offer the community by way of bike/riding advice, however, I am a computer geek of with 20 years in the industry and 30 years over all (first computer was in 1980, a Tandy from Radio Shack of course!)...so if I can give back in anyway by helping you all with data backup/recovery, virus removal, what to buy (and not to buy just as importantly), website hosting, database design/maintenance, etc, please don't hesitate to ask via PM!

2004 Vulcan 750
Purchased November 9th, 2010 w/1216 miles
Found on CL - listed for 3k paid $2400
First bike and first time rider
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Calif Rider

Welcome to the club, and have fun ridding all year round. I can almost do the same here in the north bay of San Francisco. Have fun with the LOVE bugs and all the other bugs during the summer. Keep the rubber on the road. Had one of my first bikes in Florida, at that time in the military, and did not stay on the road. Drifted off the road into the soft sand and with a rider, next thing I know is that I am face first laying in the sand. Good luck wiht all your rides.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Quick question, is that still pertinent to my 2004?
the manual is god all the way up to 2006 models, the only thing that might be different is the parts manual... use it for reference only and use the parts fiche at web sites like http://www.ronayers.com to order the actual part.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 AM

Wecome to the site Gandalv and Happy Birthday. I have a few suggestions. First, check out the Vulcan Verse's if you haven't. Second, considering the age and how few miles are on the bike I am deducing it has sat for a while. Might check into some new tires and run some seafoam through the fuel system. Third, dump the wet cell battery and get a maintenance free battery. Fourth, lube the splines on the drive shaft. Fifth, consider relocating the regulator/rectifier (aka: r/r); its under the battery box and over the pre-muffler (aka Goats Belly). The r/r has a tendency to get cooked, either by battery acid, the Goats Belly, or both. Hence, the maintenance free battery and relocation of the r/r.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Daily rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalv View Post
I also want to purchase a windshield (looking at the plexifairing 2 so I don't have to move the blinkers).
If you purchase a PFIII, you shouldn't have to move your blinkers, either. I didn't have to with mine, anyway.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!

Last edited by ksmnet; 12-09-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement