Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Newbie From New Jersey

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  E30TECH 
#1 ·
Hello folks -

I found this site by doing a search on Yahoo.

I picked up my 1st street bike on Saturday. I decided on the 2004 Vulcan 750 with 2900 miles. This was listed on Cycletrader.com on the 19th, and I bought it on the 20th :)

I only have my permit - as I am waiting to take my class (NJ Rider Education course). My class is scheduled for July 8th and 9th.

#2 ·
welcome aboard,

i took the course last year and it really cuts the learning curve for riding safely. the 750 is a great bike to ride as you can tell. just check the rear splines to make sure you have grease in them. the 2003 and some 2004 vn 750's had no grease from the factory. there are a few of us from jersey in here & the yahoo group. best riding IMHO is in sussex county (few cars and lots of twisties). hope to catch up with you and ride sometime.

ride safe, john

#3 · (Edited)
options

If the free NJ class is why you are waiting soo long and if you get the itch many of the community colleges and even big dealers like buel/harley offer the same cource (well accredited the same) but you have to drop the $$$
call around because they all have different schedules and such.
Personally I have been working 7days/wk and was never able to go

Also if you still want to wait for the free cource for knowledge and insurance discount you can take the test in one of those little 50cc scooter in NJ

I had to go on my own and when I showed up at cherry hill power sports for the rental, I was given that.. I wasn't even aware that it was legal but other than the tight cones for someone who never rode a scooter before it was easy!

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

I found some posts about those splines last night. I figured I would have a look at mine. I should have all of the tools I need - I even have some moly based grease on hand. Thanks for the warning on that. I saw a post with step-by-step instructions. Is the job really that easy?

The course I am taking is $225. I signed up in the beginning of May and got lucky to get a July class! I was the last person to get in. I signed up before I bought a bike. The chain of events happened so quickly. I did not plan on buying a bike until after the course.

I do have a permit and I have a date setup with a buddy to take a 150 mile trip thru north west new jersey into PA on all secondary roads. I live in Jefferson NJ, so Sussex is just up the street. I'm definately up for meeting people and cruising the countryside.

Thanks again,
Perry

#5 ·
Hey Perry,

I have been riding for a year, and took the MSF course here in NJ. The VN750 is also, my first bike.
I grew up in Jefferson (Lk Hopatcong side). My family still lives there actually. I live in Somerset now....but I am up there often.
After you get comfortable riding, we should meet and for a ride....

Congrats on the bike. This forum and the Yahoo forum are going to become your best friend for info! :)

Dom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.