klr650 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

klr650

Hey everyone. New to the site and have a question. I ride a KLR 650 and love it to death. Only street riding from me. I plan on taking a two week vacation and plan on riding the east or west coast. I was thinking about trading in my KLR for a 750 vulcan for the trip. What issues does this bike have and is it dependable. My KLR has given me no problems. Some new padding for the seat is all I need for the KLR. What reasons can anyone give to make me decide to get the 750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 AM

Well, it depends, it depends, and it depends. Your KLR has given you no problems, all you need is new seat padding, and you love it to death? I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here but why aren't you taking the comfy (to you) dependable bike you already own?

With this limited info, one thing I can say is you may have to worry about the seat on the 750. Most people here find it a tail bone murderer on long trips. You'll prolly need a extra pad, some beads, or to find one with an aftermarket seat already on it. Other than that, she's as good a bike as you'll likely to take on a long trip. Assuming she wasn't abused you should be aight...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Dual Sport idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo11 View Post
Hey everyone. New to the site and have a question. I ride a KLR 650 and love it to death. Only street riding from me. I plan on taking a two week vacation and plan on riding the east or west coast. I was thinking about trading in my KLR for a 750 vulcan for the trip. What issues does this bike have and is it dependable. My KLR has given me no problems. Some new padding for the seat is all I need for the KLR. What reasons can anyone give to make me decide to get the 750.
I just did a three week trip on my klr this summer. It was the perfect bike for my trip, but I saw more dirt than pavement. I don't think I'd trade my klr for anything, but then again I also own a Vulcan.
I will say that riding the slab all day will be a lot easier on the Vulcan. The klr is tiring to ride at highway speeds. Now if you don't have a windsheild on the Vulcan it could be worse.
Another consideration is parts. Klr parts are cheap and plentiful, but vn parts are nowhere near as common. For me, I'd never choose the vn over the klr for a trip longer than a weekend. Just my 2c.

Oh yeah, if you can ride a klr for more than an hour, the seat on a Vulcan will be fine.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Drive less, ride more...

I would agree with Liberty's answer above about the factory VN750 seat.

You may find that (with the factory seat) you need to stop every 50-60 miles to give you tush a rest.

But the real answer to your questioning lies in how the previous owner(s) treated the bike in question. If they've neglected her, she may indeed later give you problems--regardless of how well the bike may have been made otherwise.

Having owned my '05 since almost new, with just one previous owner who simply broke the bike in for me, I can tell you she's been a reliable machine. But I've treated her pretty good, too.

This VN750 forum will nonetheless be very handy for you, as it will educate you on the bike big-time and how to avoid problems with it.

Except for the uncomfy factory seat, the bike has a fuel tank that's a bit on the smallish side for long trips. A tankful will take you about 150 miles on average b4 you need to fill up. There are places out west where another on-board fuel supply will come in very handy. East of the Mississippi River, however, you should be ok without this extra fuel.

Past that, given good maintenance, the bike is actually a very good touring machine. You'll pick up some handy features with this bike that most cruisers don't have anymore.....like a centerstand, a tach, a fuel gauge, self-adjusting valves, and more. It also has tubeless tires, so a flat tire is usually fairly easy to repair away from civilization.

This bike was manufactured with very few changes for a long time (20 years), so spare parts for it should be available for quite a while.

For a cruiser, it has very good power, is very smooth, handles very well, and is fun to ride. With its Ninja-based engine, it is more of a "sport cruiser"...whereas many other cruisers are merely Harley wannabe's.

Amazingly, the bike has very little support from most accessory vendors, despite its 20-year production run. However, some creativity on your part along with help from this forum will get you around this problem in most cases.

The bike will carry a back-seat rider, but it's best if he/she is a child or a small adult. Past that, it's really a solo rider machine.

Hope all this helps with your decision...

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Where do you live Apollo? I have a tried and true VN with a Mustang seat I might want to trade for KLR. Just rode one the other day. I'm looking for a dualsport.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
Where do you live Apollo? I have a tried and true VN with a Mustang seat I might want to trade for KLR. Just rode one the other day. I'm looking for a dualsport.
Mount Olympus, dude. Get pics!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I talked to 2 riders from Great Falls, Montana this summer who were on their way home from Alaska and the Arctic Ocean. They were traveling on a pair of KLR650`s, and after probably something like 4,000 miles, seemed pleased with them for the trip.

If you pick up another bike for a long distance ride, make sure you do several hundred miles of shakedown riding locally, before setting out for the left or right coast.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I appreciate the input. I live in Hutto Texas. Here's a pic of me and my KLR. Mine is the green. white, and blue one in the front. Have never taken it offroad, strictly highway riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copy of hill country ride 007a.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	3228  

San Diego Chargers fan.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Daily rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo11 View Post
Have never taken it offroad, strictly highway riding.
Now, what's the point of having a bike like that if you're not going to take it off-road? I'm just saying...

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmnet View Post
Now, what's the point of having a bike like that if you're not going to take it off-road? I'm just saying...
I know. It's my first bike I have put on the road and baby it. One day when I have two bikes and one is a KLR, then the KLR will get more use.

San Diego Chargers fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement