First bike....Problems... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

First bike....Problems...

Hi, I just got my first bike a '95 750 with 17000 miles. I have looked a little bit through the site and have found some good stuff, but I'm not sure if I have gotten in over my head! The person I got the bike from has had it sitting for 4 years, and had taken the carbs off, and taken them apart for cleaning. Being my first bike, I am a little overwhelmed at what I am looking at. A box full of parts, and a baby jar full of screws. Me being a new father, and out of work right now, don't have a whole bunch of money to be spent on my new project. So just taking it somewhere to have them deal with my headache is not an option. Does anyone have a good website (or another thread on this one) or manual that may be able to help me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
There is loads of help available here. Definitely read through the Vulcan Versus. Get yourself a Clymer's manual. Download Kawasaki manual here http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf.(Warning: REALLY BIG FILE)

This should get you started.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 PM

First of all, congratulations on being a new father, I was one 20 years ago. Second, welcome to the forum. Third, yeah, you did get yourself quite a project. I hope you are mechanically inclined, if not, you probably did get in over your head. Even with all the help and information available, it is still going to take some mechanical skill to get this bike back together and running.

Hopefully all the carb parts are there. What kind of condition is the rest of the bike in? Sitting for several years without maintenance is one of the worst things that can happen to a bike, and can do a lot of damage to a lot of different things. I hope you are not in a hurry. A lot of money should not be necessary, some mechanical skill, and some good old fashioned ingenuity should take care of most of it. Can you post a picture or pictures of the bike? Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

It is a bit dirty in the pic, but I've gotten it cleaned up quite a bit the last couple days. Thanks guys, I will definitely have my laptop next to me the entire time I'm trying to put this thing back together!! As far as I can tell everything else seems to be pretty well taken care of, the tank was taken off and is clean, and there is a rag shoved into the ports where the carbs were taken off. I guess we'll see what happens when I get her all put together!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-04-03 08.32.19.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2624  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Welcome to the forum.

As you are unemployed you have the two of the major components you will need, the bike and the time to sort it. Add to that a modest pile of money and a little patience and you will soon be on the road and loving it.

One word of advice though, where it is usual to sometimes settle a crying brat by taking it for a short ride in the car this does not work so well on the bike.

Mine is a Red one.
Colour matched Bungee straps
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM

Welcome to the forum. If you go to your user CP and enter your location, there might be a member close to you that could assist with wrenching on the bike. Just a thought.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Congrats on the "new" bike! Looks pretty nice from the photo, and definitely one of a kind with that paint job. Looks good. There are a few folks on board here who have quite a bit of carb experience on these bikes and who, with a little incentive (much less than what a shop would charge you) might take the box of carb parts you ship to them and actually make a working set of carbs out of it. I would ask around here and see. It would be much cooler if someone close to you could come help you so you could get a few lessons and some OJT. I would be glad to clean them up and put them back together for you purely for the cost of shipping them back to you, but I have never had the carbs off the 750 in the three years I owned one. So, although I'm pretty confident in my abilities, (I've worked on gobs of carbs) it might be better to have someone who has been in them before to perform the surgery. There's plenty of help around here so don't worry, we're all here to help with anything we can.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by coclouse View Post
Hi, I just got my first bike a '95 750 with 17000 miles. I have looked a little bit through the site and have found some good stuff, but I'm not sure if I have gotten in over my head! The person I got the bike from has had it sitting for 4 years, and had taken the carbs off, and taken them apart for cleaning. Being my first bike, I am a little overwhelmed at what I am looking at. A box full of parts, and a baby jar full of screws. Me being a new father, and out of work right now, don't have a whole bunch of money to be spent on my new project. So just taking it somewhere to have them deal with my headache is not an option. Does anyone have a good website (or another thread on this one) or manual that may be able to help me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Welcome to the madness coclouse. Download the free manual from the toc website and find the exploded carbs diagram. Then lay out your box full of parts and screws on a big clean rag or towel and compare what you have with the diagram. Shoot a few pictures and post them, so every part can be clearly seen and identified. Then someone will be able to confirm if you have everything or not.

Crobins posted a series of pics in the gallery of disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the carbs a while back. There are no gaskets per se in the carbs, but it uses O-rings and some diaphrams that likely need to be replaced after 4 years of exposure to the air in a box. lance328 is one of our best goto guys, and offers the "bat phone" service line to many members to talk you through a job. I will try to find Cindy`s pics in the gallery, and post a link here. See link below too, for other service needed.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 PM

BTW,

0000 steel wool and BonAmi made into a paste will clean up that chrome spiffy clean. Any brand tire 'black' or tire 'gloss' will restore your plastic to a deep dark black like new.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM

Not bad at all. Interesting color. Not to crazy about the color, but it shows how nice a solid color paint job looks on the Vulcan. It looks like it is all there, plus a couple of expensive accessories, the extended backrest and the luggage rack.

I will let someone else deal with the carb issue, I have owned 2 Vulcan 750s, both bought new, and have had the carbs off each one only once, and only had the float bowls off them. I have cleaned/rebuilt a zillion motorcycle carbs, and am sure I woud have no trouble working on mine, but I have the advantage of being able to take them apart before putting them back together. Some of the screws, like the screws that hold the float bowls on, and the screws that hold the tops on, should be replaced with Allen screws, available cheap at Lowe's and HomeDepot.

About the rest of the bike, the first thing I would check before going any further, is the final drive splines. If they are worn out or damaged, you have bigger problems than carbs. Unfortunately this is a common problem on Vulcan 750s that were not properly maintained, most if not all of them were not properly lubricated at the factory to begin with. If those are ok, you're in luck. Next, drain the oil, and see what was in there. You may need to flush out the crankcase, and the pistons may be stuck in the bores. I would remove the plugs and pour some kerosene or diesel into the cylinders and let it soak.

You are going to run into dried out, stuck, rusted and corroded parts all over the bike, especially things like levers and cables, the throttle, switches, etc. Most of this stuff can be saved with a lot of work and some patience. While a lot of people would just throw away say, a stuck and corroded clutch cable, soaking it in lots of penetrating oil and working it back and forth will probably save it, for the time being anyway.

While I am not unemployed, I am not rich, and as an auto mechanic from the old days, I am a big believer in fixing things rather than replacing them. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement