Suggestions for new VN750 owners - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Suggestions for new VN750 owners

This has been done numerous times, but I thought I would post my own version. Jerry.

Maintenance tips for the new owner of a Kawasaki Vulcan 700/750 motorcycle. The spline lube is mandatory, items 3 thru 16 are very important.

1. Get a service manual.
2. Do a complete spline lube BEFORE riding the bike. While you have the rear wheel off for the spline lube, check the rear brake shoe condition, replace if necessary. Make sure you get the rear brake adjusted properly when you put everything back together.
3. Change the oil and filter. 10w40 or 20w50, type or brand does not matter.
4. Change the rear drive gear oil with motorcycle specific shaft drive oil.
5. Change the coolant with motorcycle specific ETHYLENE GLYCOL coolant (the GREEN stuff).
6. Clean or replace the air filters with stock or equivilant.
7. Check the tire condition, replace if worn out or badly cracked, inflate to pressure shown on sidewall.
8. Replace fluid in front brakes, bleed the brakes properly, and check the pads for wear. Replace if necessary. Check brakes for proper operation.
9. Check clutch adjustment, adjust if necessary, check for proper operation.
10. Lubricate all cables, throttle, clutch, choke, speedometer, and rear brake.
11. Check throttle and choke for proper operation and adjustment, adjust if necessary, check and adjust idle speed if necessary.
12. Check carburetor synchronization, adjust if necessary. If bike does not run right, or if it has been sitting for some time, it is recommended to remove the carburetors, disassemble and thoroughly clean them.
13. If you have a regular battery, check the electrolyte level, and add distilled water to bring the level up to the top line.
14. Check operation of the horns, all switches, and all lights, repair if necessary. Check and adjust mirrors.
15. Check the condition of the spark plugs, clean or replace if necessary.
16. Don't forget to do the spline lube. This is serious. Most of the Vulcan 750 final drive splines were not properly lubed at the factory, and the damage this can cause is severe. A new final drive unit costs $1000.

These are all just maintenance items needed to get the bike back in good safe ridable condition. This list does not include any actual repairs, which may need to be done depending on the condition of your bike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The following things are optional, but recommended.

1. Replace the battery with a sealed maintenance free AGM type, if you have a regular battery.
2. Remove the CA evap emissions system, if your bike has one. If it has already been removed, make sure it was done right,and that everything necessary was capped and plugged, and the fuel tank is properly vented.
3. Remove the complete air injection system, if your bike still has it. If it has already been removed, make sure everything was properly capped/plugged.
4. If you have any starting problems, replace the plugs with NGK iridium plugs.
5. Get and use a battery tender
6. Use Seafoam for regular maintenance, to keep your fuel system clean. It also works as a gas stabilizer if the bike sits for awhile.

Read the Vulcan Verses, especially the parts about the stator, balancer, and cam chain tensioners.

Don't assume anything. Ask questions if you have any doubts. Instructions for doing all of the above are either in the service manual, or on this site. If you can't find something, please ask.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the riding part. The Vulcan 750 is a great bike, it is smooth, fast, comfortable, reliable, handles great for a cruiser, and will hold freeway speeds effortlessly.

If you are a beginner, be careful. While the Vulcan 750 is easy to ride, it is a bit heavy, and has a bit too much power for some beginners.

The Vulcan 750 is NOT a good bike to carry a passenger on.

If you are a total beginner, or an inexperienced rider, take the MSF beginners rider course, and get your motorcycle endorsement.

Wear whatever protective gear you feel comfortable with, but PLEASE wear a DOT approved helmet.

Always ride with the right attitude. The right attitude is just as important, if not more so, than skill and experience.

Welcome to vn750.com. This is a great forum, and it is here for you. Please use it and enjoy it, and, oh yeah, please read and follow the rules. Welcome aboard.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Just bumping this back up to the top. Jerry.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Having just been a victim of POOGS, I would recommend adding;

- Prevent the 'Phantom Out Of Gas Syndrome' (POOGS): Disassemble the gas cap vent and inspect blockage or debris. Spray carb or brake cleaner down the gas cap vent tube to prevent dirt from reaching the gas cap vent. Check the gas vent line exit point (usually in front of the rear tire) and make sure that it is not rubbing against the rear tire.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Well done Jerry! That is a lot shorter and easier to follow than the thread I started over a year ago. I encourage all new riders/owners to print a copy of this list and take it out to your garage or where ever you work on your bike, and check off every item as it is completed.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
Having just been a victim of POOGS, I would recommend adding;

- Prevent the 'Phantom Out Of Gas Syndrome' (POOGS): Disassemble the gas cap vent and inspect blockage or debris. Spray carb or brake cleaner down the gas cap vent tube to prevent dirt from reaching the gas cap vent. Check the gas vent line exit point (usually in front of the rear tire) and make sure that it is not rubbing against the rear tire.

I never thought of that. It has never happened to me. I have COMPLETELY removed both the air injection system and the CA evap system from my bike, and have vented both the tank vent and the overflow to the atmosphere. So even if the tank vent plugs up, I still have the tank vented through the overflow. I installed 2 new hoses on the tank fittings, and ran them out underneath the bike separately. I thought I might have a problem with gas spilling out the overflow, but I haven't. You have to really overfill the tank for that to happen. It is something to be careful about though, even though the hose does not exit anywhere near the rear tire, it would still be possible to get gas on the rear tire if it came out the overflow, and that would not be a good thing.

I may still rig up a "catch bottle" to stick the overflow hose in, to make sure that doesn't happen, and still have it vented to the atmosphere.

I also realize that non CA bikes do not have that overflow fitting, and if the vent plugged up, it could cause the problem you are talking about. Jerry.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

How many times must the same threads be made?

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

Last edited by wkrizan; 05-12-2010 at 01:16 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to ravdaveed Send a message via Skype™ to ravdaveed
Lightbulb

It is far too easy to forget, or overlook, the important things if not constantly reminded... Hence a wife's genetic predisposition to nagging... So, I would venture to say this thread MUST be made, moved to the top, restated, etc... On a regular basis, especially since newbies to the site may not know their way around yet and if it is readily available and pervasive for them then it will be of much more use. Not to mention, that a continual reposting, or bump to the top, of this thread and a devotion of newbies to do all on this list immediately will help with the eventual problems they may end up having otherwise.

Unless, wkrizan, you are really afraid we'll just run out of stuff to talk about without having people have ridiculous, annoying, and unnecessary problems with their bikes if this type of thread is continually posted.

1990 VN750
Got it on 9/10/09
7683 original miles when I got it
7870 current (constantly adding more)
Mods already on bike:
Kuryakyn Iso Grips with throttle boss
Kuryakyn Iso pegs with heel rests
Windshield (not sure what brand or style, just look at my pic)
Leather Saddle bags
Leather t-bag
Mods since I got it:
Wet Battery
Many more to come...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdaveed View Post
It is far too easy to forget, or overlook, the important things if not constantly reminded... Hence a wife's genetic predisposition to nagging... So, I would venture to say this thread MUST be made, moved to the top, restated, etc... On a regular basis, especially since newbies to the site may not know their way around yet and if it is readily available and pervasive for them then it will be of much more use. Not to mention, that a continual reposting, or bump to the top, of this thread and a devotion of newbies to do all on this list immediately will help with the eventual problems they may end up having otherwise.

Unless, wkrizan, you are really afraid we'll just run out of stuff to talk about without having people have ridiculous, annoying, and unnecessary problems with their bikes if this type of thread is continually posted.
Or one could just bump or add to one of the 20+ other identical threads to the top of the list...hmmm...just a thought.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 PM

I think it would be a good idea to combine several of these type threads and make them a sticky on maybe the general forum and/or the newbie forum so that they are easy to find.

We see plenty of newbies here that ask some of the same questions all the time, or they tell us about something they did when they DIDN'T ask a question and now they're reaping the "benefits" of their efforts.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Bump.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement