Just Picked Her up Yesterday. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Cool Just Picked Her up Yesterday.

Just picked this up yesterday, traded a 2006 KFX 400 for it. 2003 VN 750 20k miles. What is the first thing that I need to do to it. It was just recently at a shop getting a tune up. For some reason the temp gauge doesn't work along with the fuel gauge. Missing a few chrome pieces here and their, but overall in great shape and runs really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27179_673430428204_34317083_38926145_2409715_n.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2623  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
welcome to the family lube the splines for instructions look for any post by fergy the instructions with pictures are in a link in hes signature. then check out the vulcan verses.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
The temp gauge sending unit is under the right side frame cover in front of the gas tank close to the coolant cap , make sure it is plugged up.If it is plugged in and has a good connection unplug it and turn the key on and touch the wire you just unplugged to a good ground on the frame and watch the gauge it should sweep all the way to hot on the gauge ,dont hold it to ground any longer than necessary to test the gauge,as it can damage the gauge if grounded too long.If the gauge works the sending unit is bad if not the gauge or the wiring are the culprit and you will need to digg a little deeper but not far,there is also a similar test for the gas gauge I suggest you download the manual,or buy a clymers or haynes manual in a pinch.I have a factory and a haynes and i have found the Clymers to be a better aftermarket manual.Nice ride ,by the way it has a lot of goodies that are sought after on here already.I noticed the extended backrest luggage rack and wind shield for starters,some body spent some money on accessories that you won't have too if that is your thing and if it isn't you have extra bling to sell to make it over your way,Good find and sounds like minor issues,welcome to our little corner of the net,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 AM

Hey Quicksilver...Glad to have you aboard! Nice bike choice dude! Take Vulcanjoes' advice and tackle those rear drive splines. Can't stress that one enough. Bought my bike with 16k on 'er and she looked very well taken care of yet mine were rusty-dusty! Fortunately I caught them before any damage occurred. Cleaned 'um up and lubed. Now I sleep a little better at night!

There are a lot of knowledgable people out there who are more than willing to help out a fellow rider. Welcome!

Name: "Bike"
*Battery connected at both ends!
*Real air in the tires
*New Registration sticker
*Seat wiped off
*Low AND Hi beam headlight!
*New #1157 tail light bulb
*Brake pedal still on the right
*Custom valve stem caps made from black plastic!
*Custom built ignition key from Kawasaki
Does anybody really care?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:17 AM

Welcome to one of the best bike specific forums online. Bike looks good, though I have to admit I don't care for the plastic chrome car door edge guard around the fenders and tank. I noticed someone removed the emblems, I removed the sidecover emblems on my '02, well actually they removed themselves. They were coming loose, and my pant leg caught on the right one and ripped it right off. I may also remove the tank emblems and replace them with something else.

As was mentioned, the spline lube is the absolute first thing you should do, before even riding the bike. Virtually every Vulcan 750 ever made either didn't have the splines lubed, or they did it wrong. Hopefully you will catch it in time. It is NOT a cheap fix.

After that, just get a service manual (I like Clymer), and start doing all the services, except the steering head and swing arm bearings. That is such a major job I would leave it alone unless you notice a problem. They can wear considerably before becoming dangerous, you will have plenty of warning. I would not disassemble the swingarm or steering head unless I was going to replace the bearings. other than that, oil and filter change, coolant change, final drive gear oil change, replace fluid in front brakes, check pad and shoe wear, replace if necessary, replace or clean and reoil air filters (I just replace mine, I get the Emgo filters from denniskirk.com for a small fraction of the cost of Kawasaki oem originals), remove, disassemble and clean the carburetors, then maintain with Seafoam, lube and adjust the cables, replace the stock battery with a maintenance free AGM battery if it doesn't already have one, some claim iridium plugs help starting.

If it were mine, I would remove the CA evap emissions system (if it is a CA model) and the air injection system, they are both nothing but trouble. Bike runs much better without all that crap. Read about the cam chain tensioners (I recommend the manual ones if you have problems), the stator, and the balancer. Then go RIDE. Jerry.

BTW, 20,000 miles is nothing for a properly maintained Vulcan 750. I put over 80,000 on a '93, and currently have over 44,000 on my '02.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 04-04-2010 at 02:23 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:12 AM

Looks good. You came to the right place, people here have a wealth of knowledge to get you squared away and riding safe.

1996 Vulcan 750
1980 XJ650 Maxim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:13 PM

Welcome to the forum. You've found one of the biggest benefits to owning a VN750!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness Quicksilver. Check link in my sig line for more info.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement