My new bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

My new bike

Hey everyone.

Just got a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan. Only paid $2,000 for it. I just started riding about a month ago. My first bike was a Honda Nighthawk 250. It was a nice little bike, but I quickly found myself wanting more.

A little about myself: I used to drive a 4runner, but being a poor college student, I could no longer afford to drive that thing around. I decided I could save a bunch of money by switching to two wheels. and boy am I glad I did. I doubt I will ever own a car again.

I still need to take it to my mechanic and have him tune it up and check everything out, but in riding it around my house a bit, it runs great.

Last edited by Mac84; 04-23-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 AM

Welcome to our world! Man, that bike for 2 grand is a smok'n deal! These are excellent starter bikes. Plenty of power, comfort and smoooooth. A highway gear would be nice but for around town and on scenic runs, you can't beat a good VN750! Some of the guys travel interstate on theirs but I don't think it was really made for that.

If you have any questions about your bike, then you've come to the right place. There are a lot of knowledgable folks out there who will gladly help with whatever you need. Again....welcome!

Name: "Bike"
*Battery connected at both ends!
*Real air in the tires
*New Registration sticker
*Seat wiped off
*Low AND Hi beam headlight!
*New #1157 tail light bulb
*Brake pedal still on the right
*Custom valve stem caps made from black plastic!
*Custom built ignition key from Kawasaki
Does anybody really care?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
if you have a couple tools, these forums are a LOT cheaper than a mechanic. update your user profile with location and such. enjoy the ride and welcome to the boards!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. By the way, I'm from Tampa, FL. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to make the complete transition from four to two wheels. Although we sure had a cold winter this year.

Unfortunately, I have zero mechanical skills, and it needs new tires at the very least. I guess I would just like the peace of mind knowing that someone competent has looked everything over and gives it a clean bill of health. One thing I have noticed is that it has trouble starting with ANY choke. I have to have the choke off it seems for it to start, once it starts I can apply some choke. Dunno what that's about. I'll have to do some more experimenting with it.

One thing I want to get for it is a good cover. Unfortunately It just sits out in the open right now, I don't even have a carport I can put it in. I found some tarp to put over it, but I'm looking to get something better.

Last edited by Mac84; 03-28-2010 at 07:38 AM.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. First things first. Do a final drive spline lube. Do it now. Yesterday would be even better. Unless you have already had it done. Second, you can get a fitted cover, get a good one, with a way to run a cable lock underneath the bike. I live in AZ, and sun will destroy a bike like right now. You could take a brand new bike, sit it outside here, and let it sit for a year. the only thing left would be the metal parts with the paint burned off them. And that is only a slight exaggeration. The bike would be damaged beyond repair.

I have 5 bikes and a quad, and I use them almost entirely for recreation. I have a car and a truck for transportation. If gas goes much higher, I may use my old '94 Yamaha XT225 DP bike for transportation. You just don't leave a nice bike in a parking lot around here. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Oh, and with all due respect, the Vulcan 750 is a great interstate cruiser. I have put close to 100,000 interstate miles on Vulcan 750s, without a single problem. This bike will cruise at 90 mph all day long without even breathing hard. That is of course with a single rider. It will not carry a passenger very far, mostly because the passenger will make you stop and let them get off. If you want to carry a passenger, you need a BIG bike, like a Goldwing, Harley Ultra, Kawasaki's new Voyager (or the old 4 cylinder Voyager) or Yamaha's Royal Star Venture. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Welcome to the group. That's a good looking bike.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

what is a spline, and how do I lube it?
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Go to the vulcah verses it has a write up on all the fixes.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Love My Baby

Welcome to the group, my new internet friend! Do the spline lube when you replace your tires. I just replaced mine with Pirelli MT66 tires and they are SUPERB. Cheaper than stock tires and much better handling, too. When the rear wheel is removed for the tire replacement, have the mechanic do a spline lube and use Honda moly grease, which you might have to buy yourself from a honda motorcycle dealer. Many mechanics might not know that a complete spline lube includes more than just the splines exposed when the rear wheel is removed. They should pull the final drive off and lube in there as well. This is a very important thing to do and it usually only gets done with tire replacement, so please don't forget to have it done or it might cost you bigtime in future repairs.

Good luck!

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light