Should be a VN750 owner this week - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Should be a VN750 owner this week

I found a 1995 Vulcan 750 with 12K miles this morning and made a conditional
offer to hold the bike until I can look it over and ride it.

I presently have a 2007 Suzuki GZ250 that I purchased new in April of 2008 to refresh my riding skills and get my motorcycle endorsement.

Needless to say 55 MPH is about tops on the GZ; which prevents riding on the freeway which I sometimes have a need to do.

I have been researching all of the different Mfr's. products and after experiencing the cost of motorcycle maintenance and learning quite a bit about the qualities of Air cooled vs Liquid cooled and the need for quite frequent valve adjustmens on the Suzuki, Yamaha, and Harleys; I settled on the Honda or the Kawasaki for the reasons of being liquid cooled and the hydraulic valve lifters.

Not knocking any ones bike; the Kawasaki had the best reviews for decent cruising speed with out having to change sprockets and all of the other tricks to get it to 65 / 70 mph with out the engine screaming for another gear.

I was real glad to be able to download a copy of the Service Manual from this forum. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions soon I hope, provided the bike checks out; if you guys know anything I should look for which would be obvious without asking the present owner I would appreciate hearing about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I'm sure you will get a lot of input, although our bikes arent perfect(charging system) and could use a 6th gear although you can run all day screaming 5000-5500 rpms and the bike likes it thats about 70-80mph. I'm sure you will be very happy with the bike. and you found the best tool for it if it needs work (this forum). these guys will climb on top each other to help you out and answer questions.
be careful when you get her though cause this bike has some serious pep, especially compared to a 250.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Welcome to these forums.

I can conform that the VN750 is very happy at 70 and if I had a screen or some better neck muscles and were invisible to the police would probably be able to raise that speed a little.

Mine is a Red one.
Colour matched Bungee straps

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Straight roads are evil

Welcome to the forum, Catchemall. You'll love the VN750, especially if there are twisty roads nearby. The Vulcan chews 'em up and spits 'em out!

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
you live in the right neck of the woods for some of the best help on here Lance is from around the Atlanta area and has forgotten more than most of us knows about the 750,and I don't hand out compliments lightly.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM

^X2! Look in the Vulcan Verses and the links in OlHossCanada's signature. Ask the guy if he ever lubed the drive shaft, and what with. Splines should be lubed with high moly grease.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness. Here is a link to the table of contents for the Vulcan verses.
There are several threads in the first section, Specs and General VN info, that may be useful to you in looking over a possible new ride.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/verses.php

Also check out link in sig line below.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM

The Vulcan 750 is a great bike, with a few issues. The worst of these seems to be the driveshaft splines. Seems Kawasaki never lubed any of them at the factory, and many people have had them get chewed up due to a lack of grease, definitely NOT an inexpensive problem. That's the main thing I'd be concerned about. It also sometimes has an easily fixed problem with the cam chain tensioners, and you have to remove the engine to replace the stator, but even that is not as hard as it sounds.

As for reliability, I put 80,000+ miles on a '93, and currently have 44,000+ on an '02. Only problem I've had so far was the cam chain tensioners, but like I said, that is an easy fix. And having bought both of them new, I did the spline lube thing shortly after buying them.

As for "needing another gear", most people think that about all bikes, having owned 45 motorcycles in my life, I've only had a couple that I thought actually needed a higher gear. Motorcycle engines are designed to spin a LOT faster than car engines, unless you have a 2000cc v-twin. Many of my miles have been at an indicated 80-85 in the left lane, that is nowhere near redline, and the bike will cruise forever at that speed with no problems, and still have plenty of power and speed in reserve.

It surprises me that your GZ tops out at 55, I have a Honda Rebel 250, which tops out at an indicated 80, which is an actual 74, (by GPS) and I ride it on the freeway at an indicated 65 in the right lane all the time. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

New to Me VN750

After looking at a couple of Bikes of the 1995 to 1998 vintage that were low miles and in perfect condition; NOT; I decided to look at one with 24K miles on the odometer.

The two older bikes had numerous problems; both had the rear turn signals broken off; one had a rusty fuel tank that had been supposedly cleaned and some type of coating put inside; plus the fuel guage did not work.

The bike with the 24K turned out to be the best of the three; it was pretty much a daily rider except for the last year and in that time only a little over 300 miles had been put on the bike.

Supposedly the tires were only 2 years old and in very good condition: NOT.

Any way I rode the bike; everything worked; needed some cleaning; no dings or scrapes; all of the lights were on the bike.

Thought I got a super deal until I read about the 2006 above.

Next day carried it to the local Kawasaki Dealer and got the fluids changed; Transmission, and Rear; the Rear was 50% low; but no signs of leaks. There was a tiny leak at the Clutch Cover on the right side of the engine, just enough to show up on the bottom of the crankcase. That is going to be replaced. The overflow tank on the radiator was overfilled as was the crankcase. The airfilters were shot; those are being replace.

The previous owner had just replaced the battery with a wet cell type, I have got to check the charging current; which if it is too much it will cause the acid to boil out of the battery. After reading the Battery Horrow Stories I am going to replace the battery with a MF type.

Tires are dry rotted; ordered two new tires; the tires should be here next Tuesday; while the tires are being installed the mechanic is going to check the seals in the rear and lube the splines.

His comment was it is a Sound Bike; since he is a member of a Factory Race team; he adjusted the Carbs; and the bike idles and runs great.

The 185.00 for the Basic Service was well worth the money; the mech. checked everything; things I would not have thought of.

The foot brake light switch was out of adjustment and the foot brake would not actuate the light.

Leaking clutch cover.

Measured the fluid removed from the rear end; rather than just draining and refilling.

Bike starts and runs great; cant wait until I get the new tires on her.

Here are a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10745.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2619   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10747.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2620   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10748.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2621   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10746.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	2622  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Good luck on the new bike and welcome to the VN750 Nirvana.

The charging system is weak so many of us have gone to LEDs to ease the drain on the elec system. If you keep it reasonable it should not be a problem for you. The 6th gear issue is something we get used to. If you take care of the motor then reving in the upper range is not a problem. She screams a little but it'll do a lot better than 80 if you're so inclined. It's a real good machine.

Putting floor boards on makes it so much more comfortable to ride. After riding your 250 you'll find the 750 has a LOT more balls.

Good luck and ride safe.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement