Michael from Arizona (with ticking noise) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Michael from Arizona (with ticking noise)

I've found a ticking noise, that is very soft, it is not a constant noise and I don't believe to be anything serious. The bikes only problem so far was a fuze box issue which I believe was brought on by water damage. After fixing that the bike hasn't had any issues to speak of. Cam chain tensioners? Doesn't seem likely I was thinking a feeler adjustment, or perhaps a seal leak as some of the orginal clamps where no longer on the bike. The ticking seems to be mostly when it starts up cold and at random times during riding the bike, though I have seen the engine heat to be a bit hotter than is normal, though I believe this to be normal with motorcycles with air and radiator cooling systems. If anyone wants to talk about it email me at [email protected] Or just post on this thread. Thanks for your time.
Also if anyone has the orginal stats and readings for Oil, feeler gauge adjustments, and helpful tips for a guy that does all of his own motorcycle maintenance it would be much appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Old Truck Junkie

There are no valve adj on this bike. Sounds like your problem is the start of the automatic cam chain tensioners (acct's) going bad. Your best bet if that is the problem, replace them with manuel can chain tensioners. You can look up this info and more in the vulcan verses.
I too when I had the problem thought that my lifter were going bad or needed adjusting.

BTW, welcome to the group.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Agree with niterider on the noise and the verses. If you do a search for forum member seebeeare, there is a link to a downloadable service manual in his signature. It's a BIG file. I just let the moths out of the wallet and bought the Clymer and Kawasaki printed manuals.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 AM

Welcome. I'm also in AZ. First thing you need to do is get a manual. If you have had other motorcycles, the Vulcan 750 is completely different from anything else you may have had. It's a real oddball. One of the things I like about it. I have already gone with the manual tensioners, after a 2 year battle with the automatic ones. Some other reasons for a ticking noise are the lifters not pumping up correctly because they are dirty, or not holding pressure due to wear, a vacuum leak, or the air injection system valve. I have removed the complete air injection system from my bike, as well as the CA evap emissions system, and recommend that everyone do it. There is plenty of information here on how to do it. The Vulcan 750 has a mechanically complex engine, with a lot more moving parts than most motorcycle engines, and some mechanical noise is normal, though I have had much simpler inline fours that made more, because they were air cooled. The liquid cooling dampens some of the noise.

It is my opinion, as a professional auto mechanic, that the Vulcan 750's cooling system is pretty marginal for the AZ summer heat, if you live anywhere near the Phoenix valley. It simply doesn't cope well with stop and go riding when it is 115+ degrees. Mine runs hot in the summer too, but is doing fine right now.

By the way, I prefer the Clymer manual. You should be able to find it at the library. The Vulcan 750 has not changed since it became a 750 in '86, till production ended in '06, so the manual covers all years. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 03-01-2010 at 01:07 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 AM

Here's some Kawasaki manuals on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...item45f1402d6f, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...item2eab71638f

And here's the Clymer:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...item2a046e75a7

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 03-01-2010 at 12:27 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, I am going with a Vacuum leak, it's what is more likely, as the noise is not constant, if it where the tensioners I think it would be a constant noise and quite a bit more clattery than it actually is. I know a bit about motorcycles and thanks alot of the links to pages for the guides. Also that explains the heat issue, Especially on long rides I might consider doing an overhaul, just remove and replace all of it with something a bit better. I don't know if this means anything to you guys, but when I first got the bike the coolant water bottle (plastic) cracked, possibly from pressure or heat? maybe just a poor design in putting something plastic near all those hot parts. I'll need to listen to the sound it's making a bit more before deciding if it needs manual tensioners. I've ridden with the very soft noise for quite a distance and see no difference in the sound. And it lessened quite visibly when I bought some clamps and tightened them over hoses and fittings that previously had not been clamped. So perhaps it is a vacuum leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement