Maryland, Checking in! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
'89 VN750

Maryland, Checking in!

Howdy! My name is Brad, new to the forum here and still a newbie as far as riding and bike maintenance. I'm almost 20, and aside from working and going to school, the bike is what I like to do. Just wish the winter this year wasn't as crappy, I want to ride! But it's giving me time to work on the essentials.
I got my 1989 Vulcan 750 on July 13th, 2009 after taking the MSF class, and since then have been riding/tweaking the bike. I bought it to help get me out of a down streak, and when the weather is nice enough to ride in, I'm not sitting around anymore, which is definitely a nice change. A lot of the work that I have been doing has been with my neighbor, a family friend who has rebuilt a Honda Rebel 450 and Goldwing, and some of it I've been picking up on my own.
Just wanted to get my name out there, and hopefully in the spring/summer get my bike up to prime operating conditions. I'll apologize if, when asking for help, I refer to certain pieces by incorrect names, I'm entirely new to this field but am trying to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the best forum for the VN750. Lots of helpful folks here. You might want to look the Vulcan Verses over; lots of good info there. You can also add your location to your user info so it shows up when you post.

Many agree with you, riding is good therapy!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Welcome! Where are you located? Bunches of us throughout MD - I'm out in Brunswick. Stay warm and dry through this upcoming storm, and we can all begin tweaking again in a few days.

C

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
'89 VN750

I'm actually in Frederick myself, the bike resides at my mom's in Woodsboro, and when it warms up it will be moving to Myersville, where I live at now. Right now the bike it all sorts of torn apart, my neighbor and I took the carbs out and found a few problem areas, which we're slowly getting fixed and putting back together. When it gets warm, I'll have to look you up for a ride
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness Brad. Check out the Vulcan Verses as mentioned, see the link below and watch for and do the rear spline lube (especially if you have the rear tire off already). Also see MF-AGM batteries before buying a new one, and NGK Iridium spark plugs.

You may also want to use some Seafoam fuel conditioner in your newly serviced fuel system.

Here is a link to a free downloadable Kawi vn750 service manual, with exploded diagrams and parts names lists and numbers:
http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf

Come back with whatever questions you have. There are lots of good folks willing to help out whenever needed. Many have spare parts for sale too.
Also see ebay link down in the forums table of contents, directly to vn750 stuff.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letskillbrad View Post
I'm actually in Frederick myself, the bike resides at my mom's in Woodsboro, and when it warms up it will be moving to Myersville, where I live at now. Right now the bike it all sorts of torn apart, my neighbor and I took the carbs out and found a few problem areas, which we're slowly getting fixed and putting back together. When it gets warm, I'll have to look you up for a ride
Absolutely give a shout! Or if you need any help with the wrenching or parts - I've got a storehouse of extra bits lying around (have an 89 project 750 that I need to start on).

C
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Absolutely give a shout! Or if you need any help with the wrenching or parts - I've got a storehouse of extra bits lying around (have an 89 project 750 that I need to start on).
Cindy is a very good person to deal with on parts Brad.I have bought a few parts from her and they have been exactly as described,priced fair and shipped quickly,she is also a wealth of info and I hear a pretty fair wrench herself ,you are lucky if she is close by.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Columbus, Ohio

And by all means, learn from your neighbor. I wish I had a bike mechanic for a neighbor...especially if he owned a Rebel 450!

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Straight roads are evil

Where are the good (read: ultratwisty) roads in Maryland?

Welcome to the forum, Brad.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 07:13 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Welcome to Vulcan Heaven. I live in Joppa and while I no longer own my Vulcan I hang out here because this is the best bunch of people I've ever not met in person! If you need help with your bike you'll get it here and in a hurry. I didn't get my own bike until 2 years ago at age 57 and the only thing I knew about it was the handlebars were in the front. Just a few months later I was doing a spline lube and putting new pipes on it. Learned a lot and couldn't have done without this group. I still have a stash of misc parts, nuts and bolts and other miscellaneous sundry for it hanging around. Hit me up with a PM if you need help or a part.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement