The beginning - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

The beginning

Hi to all, I have been reading up on riding lately as I decided to buy a bike. I found a 93 vn750 on craigslist that I bought so I see it as no turning back now. I paid a bit much $2,200 but it only has 11,6xx miles on it and is in really great shape. Blue book said $1,600 from private seller $2,500 dealer so I figure we both made out a little.

Now reading through these posts has been very helpful and comforting as to some of the OH - NO's that can happen. I have never rode a bike before and plan on the riding coarse at the HD shop in binghamton.

I have already had an OH - NO without even riding it yet. It was about an hour and a half ride to get the bike and I wanted to buy or rent a trailer for the move (I should have). Well my brother who can get me a discount on a trailer talked me out of buying one and he would move it for me. Nice guy right? Well he did show up on time and we were off, he has an enclosed trailer 4 x 6 I think. So we arrive on time ( a pet pev of mine ) I am thinking great everthing is actually going according to plan. Well the seller opens the garage door to reveal the bike, this is when he informs me "uumm, I don't have any ramps". Not that it is very high off the ground, but he suggests unhooking the trailer to tip it back. Now I could be wrong but that just seemed like to many bad things could happen on the way down, not to mention the incline and small space. So we pick up the front end and get that in first, then with the bike in gear I grabbed the back tire gave it all I had, we got it in. I let him tie it down as he moves things all of the time and it was his trailer so I "think" he has it under control. Well we get on our way, we stop at a gas station (almost home already) I figure I should fill his tank for the trouble.He decides to look in the trailer to see the bike leaning against the wall "OH - NO". So I said what is done is done not going to be mad over it. The way he mounted the anchors in the trailer was part of the problem but it did rip the interior walls down, so we had nothing to tie it to we decided to leave it where it was rather then have it fall again. Now this is my fault, partially anyway, he thinks we are bringing the bike to my place but I had talked to our parents the night before and they cleared a place in their garage for me to put the bike. It slipped my mind until the ride back, I was just a tad excited. He told told me he did not have time to make the extra twenty minute trip, so we agreed that he would do it the following week. Well that came and went, I text him call him no answer or response at all, that drives me NUTS!! I finally had to corner him at work and he brought the bike over for me. Glad to say that there was no damage and I can't wait to ride, just need to learn first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM

Welcome to the greatest forum on the web Vulcan-brother! You got yourself a stellar bike there. No worries about the mishap, these bikes are built tough. Everyone knows the 93's are the fastest and best looking bikes of the Vulcan 750's! You did aight with the price too. I paid $2500 for my 93 that had 15k on the clock. Good idea on taking the safety course, they really do help. Don't forget about it even if you learn to ride in the mean time. When you first start, take it easy and go slow. Yes its a 750, not an 1800 but these engines are touquey as hell! Your bike has a LOT of 'spirit'!

Check out the Vulcan versus, tons of good info there. Hoss will being chiming in here sometime soon. He's got incredibly helpful links in his signature for people just starting out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. You'll find loads of personable knowledgable people here. Welcome!

BTW, where's Binghamton? What state are you in? And I don't mean "ecstatic" over buying the best bike ever...

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 01-22-2010 at 08:01 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum that has so much to offer! The VN750 is a lot of bike compared to others in its class. Be very easy on the throttle until you get the hang of things.

If you like, you can add your location to your personal information (go to User CP) so it shows up every time you post.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Welcome to the greatest forum on the web Vulcan-brother! You got yourself a stellar bike there. No worries about the mishap, these bikes are built tough. Everyone knows the 93's are the fastest and best looking bikes of the Vulcan 750's! You did aight with the price too. I paid $2500 for my 93 that had 15k on the clock. Good idea on taking the safety course, they really do help. Don't forget about it even if you learn to ride in the mean time. When you first start, take it easy and go slow. Yes its a 750, not an 1800 but these engines are touquey as hell! Your bike has a LOT of 'spirit'!

Check out the Vulcan versus, tons of good info there. Hoss will being chiming in here sometime soon. He's got incredibly helpful links in his signature for people just starting out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. You'll find loads of personable knowledgable people here. Welcome!

BTW, where's Binghamton? What state are you in? And I don't mean "ecstatic" over buying the best bike ever...
LOL... Binghamton, New York. Some people Identify this area with IBM as they began in Endicott, New York.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness stiervulcan. (LP, I just googled Binghampton, NY and it appears to be about 100-120 miles west of Albany on HWY 89.) I have learned as much about US geography on this site over the past 18 months, as I have about the vn750.

Congrats on finding a great new ride for yourself. The vn750 is a spirited bike, with lots of torque all through the lower and middle engine speeds at least. I have never wound mine right out, as I ran out of nerve before I ran out of throttle. Your comfort, and initially your confidence while learning to ride the bike, may depend too some extent on your physical size and strength. Too tall and your legs will feel like a twisted pretzel after more than 30 minutes or so, if you don`t have highway pegs to stretch out on.

If you are vertically challenged, with a short inseam, balancing #525 of mc at a stop, especially on uneven ground can be unnerving for a newbie. I`m ~5' 10 1/2" tall, and feel that the vn750 may be the ideal size for a rider just a little shorter than I am, say 5' 6" to 5' 8", and without this extra #100 I am carrying around my middle!

Having said that, there is at least one vn750 rider who is 6' 5" and finds it comfortable.

Check the link below and pay particular attention to the rear spline lube, MF-AGM batteries and NGK Iridium Spark plugs.
If you are going to practice before taking the MSF riders course, wear the best crash gear you can afford, even for slow speed parking lot practice.

Since you probably have a few more weeks at least until your riding season begins, spend a little time reading and internalizing some safety tips here:
www.msgroup.org

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-22-2010 at 05:16 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah... I am vertically challenged 5' 6", so the bike fits nice. I can plant both feet easily and when I sit with all my weight on the bike there is a little bend in my knees so I feel I "have" the bike fairly well.

K&N filters
MF-AGM Battery
93' VN750 / 13,600mi
Vestal, New York
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Should have seen it coming

Well I was telling a friend of mine who used to ride, that I got a bike! This is what I should have seen coming, he says "oh yeah, what kind of bike did you get?" I say " A kawasaki vulcan" he says "oh I'm sorry I thought you said you bought a bike". This is the type of thing we do to each other, I was just not paying attention to him He is also an HD guy which should have sent up red flags from some of the reading I have done. I'll get him back... soon enough!

K&N filters
MF-AGM Battery
93' VN750 / 13,600mi
Vestal, New York
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiervulcan View Post
Well I was telling a friend of mine who used to ride, that I got a bike! This is what I should have seen coming, he says "oh yeah, what kind of bike did you get?" I say " A kawasaki vulcan" he says "oh I'm sorry I thought you said you bought a bike". This is the type of thing we do to each other, I was just not paying attention to him He is also an HD guy which should have sent up red flags from some of the reading I have done. I'll get him back... soon enough!
well,...just tell him this......that 98% of all Harleys are still on the road,.......and that the other 2% of Harleys actually made it home!!!lol

I think you already got him back....you bought a VULCAN!
you bought a bike.... not a fashion statement!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I started on a 93 Vulcan 750 and without the VN750 Forum it would still be collecting cob webs in the garage where it sat for 10 years. This is an awesome place to be if you own a Vulcan 750 and even if you don't. I've made friends here that I've never met but hope to one day. I put over 9,000 miles on the Vulcan in a little over a year; couldn't get enough riding. I sold the bike last summer and bought a Harley Fat Boy that makes it home every ride

Ask questions and you'll get useable answers! Be sure you do a spline lube, no telling when or if it was ever done and you want to be sure that is done!

You're gonna love this bike, I did mine. Check my Avatar, there's a picture of both of my bikes; then and now.

Welcome to the fun!

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome, you've come to a great place with a great bike. You will grow to love both more as time goes on. As a new rider, take a safe riding course you will benefit a lot from that. Most important ride safe and keep you and the bike in good operating condition.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement