New rider, new (old) bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

New rider, new (old) bike

Have been lurking awhile, after receiving an '85 VN700 for Christmas. Oil, coolant (as well as replacing the radiator drain plug with a steel one, as it was leaking badly) and plugs changed out.

Replaced the battery for one of equivalent type (didn't know better) and still had starting issues - needed an external battery to jump it most of the time. Starting problems are not good when learning clutch and throttle control, with the amount of stalling which goes along with that! Put in a Sears YTX14AH(L)-BS (#44005) - the one made by YUASA - and the starting problem has gone away (Probably not a surprise to most, here).

The previous owner used it as a daily commuter and has around 26K on it. It runs reasonably well, apart from the rattles on the left and right which I take it to be the cam chain/tensioners.

So, just saying 'hi'; there seems to be a decent amount of knowledge and help for this series of bike, here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. You have the first year Vulcan 700/750 made. There are several things I recommend you check/service. If the cam chains are indeed making too much noise (plenty of info on that here), you need to do something about it before loose chains destroy the engine. I went to manual tensioners. You will also probably need to remove the carbs and clean them thoroughly. But first, before anything else, you need to do a final drive spline check/lube. There is also plenty of information on that here too. That single thing has probably caused VN750 owners more grief than any other single thing.

Also, since your bike is so old (nothing wrong with that), listen for any unusual noise coming from the left front of the engine, just ahead of the left footpeg. There is a balancer in there, with rubber dampers, and the dampers tend to deteriorate after a long time, allowing the balancer to damage the case.

Obviously the first thing to do is to change the oil and filter if you have not already done so, use the oil drain on the left side of the engine, not the one on the bottom. There is a screen behind it that needs to be checked for debris. Often you can avert serious problems just by checking this screen. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Calif Rider

Welcome to the club. Like Jerry said you have many thing to check over before you do any real ridding. The can chains could be your problem like you said or maybe you have a few loose bolts on the bike. You need to check all bolts for tightness. Check or change all your fluids on the bike. Have fun making the bike yours and the way you will like it. You need to do alot of reading and ask all the questions you need to fix your bike. Have fun!

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Welcome to the VN700 Madness.... I recommend taking a basic riders course... even being an advanced rider, the basic course taught me a lot, and I plan on taking the advance class this spring.

The ratles could be the ACCT's or it could be loose exhaust shields... I would check both... I am wondering if your charging system is up to snuff...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 PM

Welcome to the forum. The Vulcan Verses and OlHossCanada's signature contain lots of infor for new owners.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ARAtai
Hi there mate.
This is by far the best forum on the internet when it comes to bikes knowledge.
VN is one of my bikes and I bought it around 6 months ago.
I had starting issues when hot, followed the advice of some of my friends here on this forum and installed a MF battery (I paid over $ 110 for a $67 battery and waited over 4 weeks for it to be shipped). But it was worth it. Now the starting issue is TOTALLY GONE!!!
So you are in the right place. You have a great bike there. She does need some love and care but over all she is reliable like an independent, straight woman.
Cheers mate. Happy Vulcaning!!!!!

If you ride like there is no tomorrow, there won't be one!!!

Rebuilt Engine, Carbs & Starter Motor
M/F Battery
VN800 R/R (Relocated)
Head Light On/Off Switch
F&S Engine Guard & Luggage Rack
Givi Windshield
Givi E51 Hard Saddle Bags
Relocated Rear Signal Lights
Kuryakyn Grips
Custom Spot Lights
Custom Tank Bra
Custom GPS Stand

To be Added Soon:
Voltmeter
12V Cigarette Lighter Output

Wish List:
Iridium Plugs
LED Brake Light
V&H Cruzers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness OceanTwo. If your bike is still hard starting with a new MF-AGM battery, perhaps it was not properly charged before using it, or your practice sessions at low rpm are not keeping it charged. You may need to keep it on a battery tender until you are riding regularly with engine speeds at 3k rpm or over.

Ngk Iridium spark plugs will likely solve any remaining hard starting problems. You want NGK part # DPR7EIX-9. Advance Auto apparently has the identical plug with their own part number 7803, that sells for a few $ less.

Here is a link to the verses with more info about plugs than you ever wanted to know.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162

X2 to above advice to find a fix noises before they cost you a bigger repair bill.
Try Grambos trick in verses, to determine if the ACCTs springs are weak.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

The Sears (Sealed) battery solved the starting issues, which is great. Unfortunately, I was just doing a ride around today to warm up the diff/rear gear casing to change out the oil in there and suddenly got stuck in neutral... Luckily, only a few hundred yards from home, just around the block.

Quick look on the forums here, showed a similar problem with a shifter spring not 'springing', so hope that's the cause - similar symptoms: stays in neutral, but the gear change lever has full travel in both directions returning to the center position smoothly.

This forum certainly is a veritable source of knowledge
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 PM

The Vulcan 750 is a very unusual bike in the U.S, even though it was in production for 22 years. Apparently they only sold a few per year. There is no other bike even remotely close to it mechanically, it is the only bike that engine was ever used in, and it is a very unusual, and very complicated engine, but it sure does run good. I'm on my second one, both bought new. This forum, and the Yahoo Groups VN750 forum, has the biggest collection of information about the Vulcan 750 in the world. If it has anything to do with the Vulcan 750, you will find it here. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement