newbie looking for info - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Question newbie looking for info

Ran into a 96 Vulcan 750 with 14k on it for a pretty low price. Thought this would be a good place to find out about it. ---
Wondering if this is a good bike for the wife and I to take 2-up trips of 3hrs or so.
Also -- are parts available for a bike this old?
What sort of maintenance issues or weak points should I look out for when I go to see this bike? Is 14k too many miles for it?
And -- Can one still get windshields, luggage rack and saddlebags to fit one?

Oh -- Where can I find a maintenance schedule or service manual for one? I don't think the owners manual is with this one.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Vintage bike addict

Ok. There is plenty of power for 2 up riding. Will it be comfortable for you? That would depend on you and your passengers size and seating position. Seats can be modified or replaced. Parts are available. As with many bikes the charging system is prone to problems. The biggest maintenance issue is caring for the final drive. Get the driveshaft splines lubed at first opportunity. There are not a lot of after market items available that are VN750 specific but bags and windshields can be fitted. Manuals can often be found on ebay. A download version is also available. I don't have the link just now.
Welcome to the forum.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I weigh 185 and the wife is around 135. There just isn't enough room on the bike for the two of us. After 1/2 an hour, it is agony. Used parts are plentiful on ebay and new parts are still available at various dealers. The bike was produced from 1985-2006, and changed little during that time.

Yes, luggage racks, windshield, highway bars, and bags are readily available. No, 14,000 miles is not too much. With proper maintenance, the engine should make 100,000. One other "problem" with the bike is you have to pull the engine to replace the stator. Look in the Vulcan Verses section of the forum for lots of helpful info. Welcome to the forum!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The Vulcan 750 is a great bike for a solo rider. It has a few problems unique to it, but so do most other bikes. It is very reliable, and the basic accessories such as saddlebags and windshields are available for it.

What the Vulcan 750 is not, is a good 2 up bike. I've been riding one since '93, and took my 2 daughters for rides as soon as they were old enough to reach the pegs. I'm 6' 200. They are both grown now, and simply do not fit on the bike as passengers, and no, they are not overweight.

IMO, no bike is ideal for carrying a passenger, motorcycles work much better as one person vehicles. If you are looking for a bike that is capable of carrying a passenger without their being absolutely miserable, look at a Goldwing or Voyager. They are specifically designed to carry passenger, and are the best bikes available for doing so, but even they are far from ideal as far as carrying passengers go.

From what I know, the 1500/6 Goldwing is probably the best bike available for passengers, its bigger and roomier than the earlier 1200/4, and the 1800/6 is aimed more toward sport riding, and is not as comfortable all the way around as the 1500/6. I have owned an '84 1100/4 Goldwing, and have ridden the other 2, but never owned one.

The Vulcan 750 is definitely not a comfortable passenger carrying bike, unless your passenger is a child, and they just seem to be tougher than most adults. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Love My Baby

My wife Karen and I rode my 750 to Key West and back for our wedding annivesary, about 200 miles each way. More than enough power and great gas mileage to boot. Karen's only complaint was with the light rain we caught on the way home. She didn't complain about discomfort on the bike. We take the occasional short ride out to eat or to the beach on it too, with no complaints. However, everybody is different and the 750's seat is not designed for frequent or long rides with a passenger. Most of the time on by myself on it.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness torque. Unless you and and your wife are significantly smaller than average ( see flitecontrols post above), I would not recommend the vn750 as a two up bike. I`m not particularly tall at 5' 10 1/2", but I weigh in at ~#300. The 750 has plenty of power to haul me around, and even has enough room for my small grandkids, say up to #100, for short rides with me around town.

For rides more than 30-40 minutes, I need to get either a different seat or an extra seat pad, and some highway pegs to stretch out on. I don`t know how big rubyrick or his wife are, that they are comfortable for a 200 mile trip, but I suspect they must be smaller, and slimmer folks.

I have a friend who has owned and ridden 2 or 3 Goldwings over the past 20 years, and then bought a new H-D Electra Glide in 2005. His wife has her own 750 Shadow, but often rides 2 up with him too. She much prefered the Goldwings to riding double on the Glide.

I have no personal experience riding a `wing, but suspect that Jerry`s comments about their superior 2 up carrying abilities, may lead you to a more comfortable ride than the vn750 will give you. Good luck in the hunt for the right ride for you.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement