New VN750 rider + marbling/popping question - Help? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Cool New VN750 rider + marbling/popping question - Help?

Hey all, I'm from Greenville, S.C. I just got a 96 VN750, it really is a great bike. Just had a question about the popping, I tried the marbling trick but there really was no change. Is there a way to get the bike back to factory quality, maybe rebuild the clean air system on the bike, or the carburetor? I would imagine that it would not be that detailed but I really have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if I were to rebuild/modify the bike in order to get rid of all the popping, what would it entail and about how much would it run me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 PM

Not my trick, but take a lit cigerette or incense stick and run along the exhaust pipes by the engine and anywhere else theres a seam and see if the smoke is disturbed, could have an exhaust leak somewhere causing the popping..

85 VN700 Project Bike
Earshave
R/R Relocate
Mustang Seat
Custom grill cover
Busted Engine... removed, split, waiting on parts
Cleaning up & painting the rest

Parts still needed... wanted...
11" shocks, or one stock
Aftermarket exhaust... eventually
Extended forward controls or custom hwy peg mounts for my cramped legs...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

If it's popping that much you most like have a leak at the manifold. Buy new Kawasaki OEM Gaskets and install them. DO NOT use the Harley gaskets, they are not the same outside diameter and will slip when you install them creating a leak. The smoke trick G3PO suggested works. Look for my post on here too on Marbling, Coastering and more....It worked for me just great!

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Talking Thanks!

Thanks I will order the gaskets today. Does anyone know where to buy aftermarket seats or radiator chrome covers?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

These bikes are poppers to begin with, as the reed valves get carboned up pretty quickly and cause excessive popping on deceleration. If the marbling trick didn't solve it, (it doesn't eliminate the rumbling, but kills the excessive backfiring) then you have a leak like everyone above has already said. Unburned fuel vapors are going to get past the combustion chamber and into the exhaust and if they come in contact with fresh air, you'll get backfiring. The exhaust gaskets might be the problem or it could be other areas where there are connections in your exhaust, or even holes rusted through on the under side of the exhaust system. If you haven't already, shoot some PB Blaster on the exhaust manifold cap nuts to get them soaking. Otherwise you might have trouble getting them off and even snap off one of the studs they are screwed onto. PB Blaster will soak through and eat the rust that glues them together! Give it a soak a day or two before you plan to pull them and replace the gaskets, then soak it again the day you do the work. It also helps to warm up the bike before you start removing the cap nuts. Sucks to work on hot exhaust, but it is best for the nuts... Good luck!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Does any one know the part number for the exhaust gaskets? And possibly a good website to order from?

Thanks,

Hutch750
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Hey Hutch, I don't know this for a fact as I haven't had both types to compare side by side, but I read either here or on the Kawasaki forum that the KAW crush gaskets are actually a bit thinner than the Harley gaskets. Apparently the Harley gaskets are slightly smaller in diameter than the KAW gaskets! I bought the Harley gaskets and didn't have any problem with them shifting out of place and they sealed fine, no popping. But, I know of a couple different folks here who have used the KAW gaskets and they had some leaking. I suggest that if you go with the KAW gaskets that you grab a hand full of washers and put at least one under the acorn nuts so you can make sure you don't bottom out the nuts on the stud.

The KAW gaskets: part # 11060 bikebandit.com

The Harley gaskets: part #17048-98 your local Harley dealership

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Is this the right part "Kawasaki - GASKET,EXHAUST - 11060-1922"? When I click on the "fits machine" link the Vulcan 750 is not listed. Here is the web page I am looking at:
http://www.bikebandit.com/search-pro...ch=1&sc=9&pg=2
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Hutch, go to this page: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...s-1999/o/m4537
and scroll the categories down til you see Mufflers, click on the mini muffler pic and it will load the exhaust info. You'll see the crush gasket in the photo and the parts list below, where you can order them directly. I believe KAW uses the same gaskets on a huge number of bikes and you could probably get them at your local KAW dealership too.

It is the same gasket used on my 02 1500 classic, and I also checked the 06 1600 Classic, same gasket. Probably readily available at a KAW shop.

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Last edited by fergy; 10-22-2009 at 02:44 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness Hutch. You are finding out why this is such a great place for vn750 owners. Check the link below too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement