New to riding - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

New to riding

Just wanted to stop in and make introductions. This site seems like a fantastic resource, and I'm excited to be part of such an active community.

I'm a brand new rider (started in late July) and my 2006 vn750 is my first bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the group. Have you looked at the list of things new riders should do on OlHossCanada's signature?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Have you looked at the list of things new riders should do on OlHossCanada's signature?
Yes, I did. I still have more to do with the bike (precious few good places to tinker with a motorcycle on a college campus). However, I did:
  • Make a habit of the pre-ride inspection.
  • Replace the stock battery with a maintenance-free one. (It makes all the difference in the world for easy starting.)
  • Have all the fluids replaced or topped off as soon as I got the bike.
  • Order the Clymer's guide, and it should be waiting for me at home.

I also am planning to move the r/r to the bar near the passenger peg. I'm saving that one till Thanksgiving break so that I can have a garage in which to work.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Heck, while you are doing that you might as well check and lube your splines! Welcome to the group!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I may do that. I'm a little scared to do it, but I figure it's going to be garaged for the winter by that point anyway.

Also, I notice that you have the r/r relocated to the same place I'm planning to put mine. Have you ever had any trouble with the r/r causing discomfort to a passenger? I would expect the two possible problems would be hitting the ankle or burning the ankle (note that I have no idea if the r/r actually generates that much heat, so that may be a ridiculous question).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersHobo View Post
I may do that. I'm a little scared to do it, but I figure it's going to be garaged for the winter by that point anyway.

Also, I notice that you have the r/r relocated to the same place I'm planning to put mine. Have you ever had any trouble with the r/r causing discomfort to a passenger? I would expect the two possible problems would be hitting the ankle or burning the ankle (note that I have no idea if the r/r actually generates that much heat, so that may be a ridiculous question).
where are u from u should edit your personal info so it shows up on your posts im sure someone localy can walk u through what ever scary tear down u may come up with

1.) Hey man the splines are a must to lube It comes highly recomended or u could end up like kenny ...

2.) What is your passenger doin on the back without a pair of boots??? i just relocated mine to there and am waiting for parts to put the bike togethere so i really dont know if its in the way or not...

3. Welcome to the family and Congrats on the first bike u picked a good one keep the rubberside down and alway practice safe habbits... ?Have u takin a moto safty course??

OH yeah i forgot there is a factory service manual in my signiture below its not a substitute for a paper copy but it does help out ALOT

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator

Last edited by seebeeare; 09-24-2009 at 12:21 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Never had a problem with a passenger getting cooked by the rr, but passengers were not on there often or for very long rides. I agree that passengers should be wearing some type of boots anyway.

If you need any help with the spline lube you can holler at me. I'll be glad to walk you through anything you need.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I always require a FF helmet, jacket, long jeans and boots on my passengers. Unfortunately, some women's boots just barely cover the ankle. I was thinking they might get too much heat through the jeans, and I'm glad to hear that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebeeare View Post
Have u takin a moto safty course??
Yes. I took the MSF basic rider course. It was a huge help, and I'm probably going to go back next summer for the advanced rider course.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness. Did you find this site before or after you bought the bike?
I`m glad to hear the link below has been of assistance to you. Here are a couple of more sites to help you get your motorcycle fix for the day, when the bike is put up for the winter.

Here is a link for safety tips: www.msgroup.org

And another with training DVDs available: www.ridelikeapro.com

Enjoy the ride, and keep the rubber on the road.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-24-2009 at 03:31 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Anders welcome to the group.

These guys are giving you a hard time about your passenger. You're probably happy you have someone sitting behind you and now they want you to have a dress code with boots and all kinds of other conditions. It cuts down the selection :-).

Most important, ride safe.
Gemguy

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement