Greetings to old friends and new ones.. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Greetings to old friends and new ones..

I don't know why it took me so long to sign in to this forum, but since my Vulcan 750 has worked it's way back to the top of my favorite-bike list....here I am!

I use this screenname on other forums except the Concours Owners Group, where I am RoyR. I'm sure I've met many of you before at BeginnerBikes, BeginnerBiker, and Delphi forums.

I own a 2004 Vulcan 750 and a 2005 Concours. I've also owned a Vulcan 500. I have been riding again since January 2003, and rode a little bit, back in the 70's. I retired from the US EPA in December 2003 so there's alot of time to ride now. My home is just north of Mt.Vernon, VA, which is about 15 miles south of Washington, DC.

I've always had the belief that bigger is not always better...my Concours is a great bike, but the Vulcan is just plain easier to ride. A little voice in my head said to not be too quick to sell the Vulcan after I bought the Connie, and I'm glad I kept her. Now I plan to get the Vulcan in shape as a mid-sized touring bike.

I look forward to gathering info from you on adding hard bags, a topcase, and a windshield so the Vulcan can stand even with and--gasp--perhaps even replace my Connie as a tourer. I'm also interested in all of the rest of the information and experience other owners have put together.

All the best...safe riding..

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:29 AM
dsr

in the same boat

I am typing this quick because Im on my way to work. I own a Vulcan and love it. I am short and have good control with the bike. I very much want a full fairing and hard bags and I am considering buying a concours. I have looked for aftermarket hard bags for my vulcan and have come up with nothing. I worry that the concours will be to combersome in the city and that Ill regret selling the vulcan. Any advice.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

DSR,
I am 6' tall, weigh about 225 and have a 32 inch inseam.

With respect to the Vulcan 750, the Concours is heavier (640 lbs wet), taller (31 inch seat height), and much more top heavy. Under normal street/highway conditions I find it easy to ride. BUT--and that's a big BUT--if you let the Connie get away from you, the chance of recovery is much less than with the Vulcan. I know, because I had a static drop last May on an inclined gravel road, leading up to a sharp apron, up onto the highway. Granted I screwed up by turning the bars while stationary (very dumb), and I rolled backward a bit when I tried to launch (gotta use that foot brake!). But my feet were up higher than they would have been on a cruiser, and that 7.5 gallons of gas up high and 640 lbs also contributed to my problem. The riding position on a stock Connie also hunches me forward a bit to grip the bars, which puts one in a weaker postion to stop a fall than one would have in the upright cruiser riding position.

Maybe I would have dropped the Vulcan too, but if I'd had my feet lower, and only had to contend with the lighter and much lower center of mass of the Vulcan, I might have saved the day.

So, if I know I'll be riding on gravel or in less than good road conditions, I'd rather have the Vulcan. But cruizin' down a good highway, particularly in the cold rain, on a long trip, I lean toward the Connie with it's better protection, better seat, and much longer fuel range (I've gone 220+ miles without touching the reserve.).

Having said that, there are alot of COG folks who are well under 6 feet and are of quite average build (including women). So safely riding a Connie can be done if you are short. But not too short! And you need to be sharp about keeping those bars straight when you stop. And also be careful on oddly-angled parking lots, road shoulders, etc.

The Connie also requres valve adjustments every 6000 miles, which can be costly if you don't do it yourself.

If I had to choose one of my two bikes, I'd pick my Vulcan, if it can be outfitted to haul me and my gear on long trips. Certainly, the Vulcan is powerful enough for one rider and his/her gear, and it is as low maintenance as they get. But the 3.6 gallons of gas isn't much out in the boonies, and it remains to be seen how well I can equip it as a tourer (I trust the Forum won't let me down!).

I'm happy to continue this discussion here or feel free to IM me thru the Forum.

--Roy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:14 PM

Take a look at www.tourtank.com. An extra 2 or 3.5 gallons will bring you pretty close to your Connie's range.

Rick
'06 750
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!
I never knew about the TourTank!

--Roy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 12:45 AM

Welcome. ride safe WooWoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement