Newbie in KC - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Newbie in KC

Good day people. Why is it a good day you ask? I just got my first bike just a few days ago. I love it. Been wanting one for quite a while (like 16 years). I got a 92 kawasaki vulcan 750. It's a fixer upper but that's what I want to do. I plan on getting a V&H exhaust put on it and a few minor things over the winter. I also want to paint it myself. I'm so excited I want to do it all right now. lol

I'm a new rider (never ridden before) and I plan to get into a Motorcycle Safety Course as it will help on the insurance too. I know how to ride but any little help for a first time rider will come in handy.

I'm glad I found this forum so I can do it ALL!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 PM

From a rider with 100,000+ miles of experience, here is some advice. Get 1000 miles under your belt riding back roads away from main traffic before you 'think' you are comfortable around typical traffic congestion. Take it from a New Yorker, this will allow you to 'learn' your bike. How it rides and handles and best prepare you for when you ride in congested traffic patterns. Motorists do not see you and you are always on the losing end of any contact.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan forum Lw3. I notice you say your bike is a fixer-upper. Is your bike running and rideable now? Check the TEN THINGS link below. ( there`s more than that there now though). Especially pay attention to the rear spline lube, a MF_AGM battery, NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs, Seafoam fuel treatment and why you need a voltmeter to monitor your charging systems health.

You sound a lot like me, except I had been carrying a MC licence for 41 years, and just bought my first bike a year ago in May. I took the riding course even though I didn`t have to. I learned that there was A LOT about riding that I didn`t know. Unfortuneately the course didn`t save me, as I got too wide on an exit ramp just one day short of six weeks after getting the bike and dragged my leg against the guardrail for 50 feet. I`m still nursing a broken leg after 14 months, but am looking forward to riding next summer. It`s called a Vulcan addiction, I think. <G> The bike suffered little damage, a few scratches and bent windshield brackets mostly.. A friend rode it home for me.

The vn750 is a great bike, but as a new rider treat the power with respect. It has plenty. Enjoy the ride and stay safe.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 08-23-2009 at 12:57 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubya3 View Post
Good day people. Why is it a good day you ask? I just got my first bike just a few days ago. I love it. Been wanting one for quite a while (like 16 years). I got a 92 kawasaki vulcan 750. It's a fixer upper but that's what I want to do. I plan on getting a V&H exhaust put on it and a few minor things over the winter. I also want to paint it myself. I'm so excited I want to do it all right now. lol

I'm a new rider (never ridden before) and I plan to get into a Motorcycle Safety Course as it will help on the insurance too. I know how to ride but any little help for a first time rider will come in handy.

I'm glad I found this forum so I can do it ALL!!!
Welcome to the madness. You have the best year of Vulcan Made... wait that's because I have a 92 as well... post some pics of your bike... we are a bunch of picture whores...lol

take it easy, ride safe, and looking forward to seeing your bike come a long
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the group. Ride like you are invisible, because to some, you are.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement