New Rider in Austin, Texas - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

New Rider in Austin, Texas

My name is Travis the user name comes from my International Scout II.
I took the MSF course around a month ago and last week I bought a used bike.

I picked up a 1991 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. It has less than 3000 miles on it. Somebody apparently moved from New York and traded the bike in at Central Texas Harley Davidson. Now that the bike is somewhere with a long riding season, I plan on putting some miles on my time capsule.

I picked up a Shoei RF-1000 and some armored gloves. A buddy gave me a old Gericke all season ammored jacket that is very hot but will do for now.

Travis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum. It's a great bike and there are lots of knowledgeable, helpful folks here. I got a mesh jacket and pants fairly cheap off ebay, and I believe there is a thread under the vendors section of the forum for leatherup.com. They have good stuff at good prices. OlHossCanada will be on here soon to greet you. He has a suggested list of things for new riders to do. One of the most important is make sure the rear splines on the driveshaft are lubricated. Many (mine included) left the factory with no grease!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan Forum, Travis. That bike is a beauty, especially with only 3000 miles on the clock. I have a `91 as well. The factory colors for 1990 and `91 are "Maroon" and "Cosmic Splendor Red".

Your bike appears to be Black (or Ebony) and Gray, with Chrome side covers. My list shows these to be factory colors for the years 1987, `88 and `89. If you want to check, there is a sticker on the rear fender under the seat with a model number on mine. (A-7 is a 1991, A-1 =1985 up to A-21 =2006).

It`s not really a big deal as there were very few changes in the bikes over those 21 years. But here are a few that you can easily check:

-Front brake master cylinder from 85-90 is rectangular. 1990 on is round.
-Fuel cap closes without a key from 85-87. 88 and up need a key to close.
-Turn signal self cancelling from 85-88.

There is also a list of frame and engine serial numbers for model years in the Clymer manual. Not sure why your colors and registation model year do not agree. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

In any case, it is still a great bike. Enjoy the ride.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Welcome to the club. Everyone here is extremely helpful and pretty knowledgeable about the VN700/750. If you have any issue with your bike, I'm sure you'll find a solution here.

I just moved from Dupont, WA to Cedar Park, TX and the one thing that I've noticed is Texas drivers are oblivious to motorcycles. Ride safe, stay visible, and expect the unexpected. Enjoy your bike and stay safe.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
welcome to the group...lots of great stuff here... you are in a great riding area...I miss the year round riding season... I lived in Killeen for several years
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I have a round master cylinder, keyed hatch, and my turn signals do not self cancel.
I have not checked under the seat yet.

Not sure what's up?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You might want to check the lower right mount for the engine guard. Looks like the bolt is missing or it was never attached to the frame. May just be the pic or my eyesight, but looks like it may be hitting the exhaust.

Also see you have the stock rear tire. Check the date code and ensure the tires aren't too old. Three numbers in an oval = tires made in the last century. Four digits = first two are the week and last two the year it was manufactured. Don't go by how "old" they look.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 08-17-2009 at 01:34 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Vintage bike addict

Welcome aboard. Very nice looking steed you have there.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

You eyesight is fine. That engine guard is not right. I have to pull the exhaust off to remove it, so I am waiting until I have the new gasket (also I have heard something about being able to stop the "popping" when rolling off the throttle).

Research and then execute. I will not ride the bike much until I have done some of the basic things that I am reading about.

The list is something like this:

Order bags (I like the Leatherlykes with the relocation kit)
Order windshield (which one? - how do I fit it to my height?)
Order fluids for changing (oil, cooling, lube the splines?, brake)
Order new exhaust gasket - which one?
Replace the original rear tire to match the new front tire (Dealer replaced it for free during their checkout and inspection).
What else?

Travis
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Another newbie

I just discovered this site and just signed up because it looks like I'm going to find lots of useful info here. I'm buying a '94 750 tonight. I have never ridden, so I'm taking the MSF course next month. I wasn't going to buy anything until after the course, but I couldn't pass up the chance to buy this bike. It seems perfect for a beginner (at age 45). It has just under 12,000 miles on it and it appears to have been well cared for - ridden by a grandma (probably around my age) and her husband who both ride Harleys now that she's changed up for an 883 Sportster. I'll post a picture like the one above after I get the bike. Nice picture!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement