Green-Horn - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_Grimm
Green-Horn

Break stuff! I finally got my FIRST motorcycle. I have wanted one for just over a DECADE. All I had to do was choose between my ex-wife or a bike. You see that I am now divorced. AHAHAHA!

Anyway, I am from Dalton, Ga. I am about to be 26 and I have had my bike since April. It started with 13,000 mi. and some change. I've since put 2400 on it. It was in poor/somewhat fair cosmetic shape and was in good running condition. I have since changed tanks ($100 eBay purchase) and repainted MANY parts of the bike. I have been working the rust off of various parts. It's fun to tinker with. I have used this forum for tutorials on coolant changes, etc. I find that I am always doing SOMETHING to my bike. My next projects have me mounting hard cases, getting some hypoid gear oil for the driveshaft, replacing a few coolant O-rings, steam cleaning the engine, replacing the signals, replacing the brake pads, cleaning & re-jetting the carbs, replacing the rusted bolts, and building a rear rack. The list goes on, of course.

It's an amazing machine for a 22yr old fart. It runs well. I have replaced the oil, oil filter, coolant, brake fluid, handle-bars, grips, placed extra lighting in the front and rear with a switch, repainted almost all the black and weathered plastic, replaced the broken clutch & brake levers, replaced the old cracked hoses, cleaned and lubed the air filter, replaced the tank, repainted the fenders to match, placed that Mylar 'chrome' trim, and stuff.

I got it for $1,200 and I have since spent ~$250 for paint, accs., replacement parts, new ('05) tank, etc. I didn't realize how much fulfillment there is in having this hobby. I love to go new places. Anyone in the area should let me know if they go for a trip.

Pics coming! I have my Boys this weekend. I should be free Monday-ish to snap some photos.

Man I hate computers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the group Mr Grimm. It`s good to get your fix from wrenchin` and ridin`. How old are your boys? Enjoy the ride, but stay safe for their sake and yours.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the group.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:50 PM

Welcome. I'm told bikes can become addictive, but I'm not sure...

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Welcome to the group Mr Grimm. It`s good to get your fix from wrenchin` and ridin`. How old are your boys? Enjoy the ride, but stay safe for their sake and yours.

Aidan is 2 & 1/2 yrs.
Andrew is hardly 1 yr.

I get them today! Woo! Little guy's started walking. It's very zombie-ish and sweet. I see now why children start out so damn fat. They need the padding. I hope it won't be a problem if I post pics of them along with my bike. Aidan thinks it's amazing. That's not saying much, though. He thinks my bicycle is a motorcycle, too. I try my best to stay safe.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Welcome. I'm told bikes can become addictive, but I'm not sure...
Yeah, and quickly, too. Worse than Methamphetamines. I am all about doing ****zen to my bike. It's fun to see what you can get for cheap and modify or upgrade.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Newb with a Bullet!

Welcome Mr. Grimm!

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Welcome Mr. Grimm you're going to love it here. Soon you will have a sexy grill to put on that ride to make it look even better.

Ride safe

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 PM

welcome!!!!!! Lots of great folks here to help.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Helpful Hints...

I have had my bike since April and have already put 2600 miles on it. It is an
'87 with 15k.

I have:
Bled the brakes (DOT 4)
Oil change
Replaced oil filter
Replaced the coolant (no flush)

I am in the process of....
Replacing front brake pads
Replacing coolant 0-rings (leaking slightly above rear cylinder)
Replacing coolant and will flush

What other standard maintanence or necessary "for a new to me old bike" maintenance is there? Don't pull any punches. LINKS and TUTORIALS WELCOME!!

I know that the splines and final drive need gear oil and moly paste? How does that work and where to I get the stuff?

Also, my front discs/rotors? have rings in them from the brake pads. Does this need to be rectified or is that ok? I am told this may cause glazing of the brake pads? Do the front discs need to be changed or can someone machine them smooth?

Furthermore, I LOVE to drive. Does the rectifier need to be moved and where is the Tutorial? Any riders in my area? How do I find them? Thanks!!!

Last edited by Mr_Grimm; 08-11-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement