New Rider, New owner with a couple of questions. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

New Rider, New owner with a couple of questions.

Hey all, Im new here, coming from the Northern Seacoast of Massachusetts.

I just got into riding a few months ago when a good friend and my father did as well. I picked up a 2000 VN750 with around 5700 miles on it.

Ive ridden about 700 miles on it since then i've become more comfortable with the bike for sure, I love riding it, but one thing has really bugged me about it...

I don't know at what RPM I should be cruising, the bike seems really quiet and smooth at 3000-3500 RPM. But I've spoken to a few people who have told me I should be cruising at 4000-4500 RPM but the bike is a lot louder and seems to vibrate a lot.

I know the oil was changed when I purchased the bike, should I check anything else? Should the engine, after on for about 40 minutes running at 30-40 MPH be at about the halfway mark? or is this a sign that I need to do a coolant flush or something of that nature?

Does anyone elses Tach vibrate and wiggle more than the speedo?

Thanks! Ive been lurking for a while now, and figured I might as well post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Howdy, and welcome to the group! You have brought up several questions that the typical new owner will ask, so here goes. The engine on this bike likes to rev high. At highway speeds, you're gona be taching up into the 5000+ area. That's normal. Lots of new owners and veterans alike are often looking for a 6th gear. If you feel vibrations at higher rpms it might be several things, wind resistance, tires, carbs needing balanced, or maybe its just the road. If you rev the engine over 4K in neutral, does it vibrate excessively?

The tach has a wobble that every bike from day one has. It doesn't make sense that the speedo doesn't wobble in sync with the tach, but it doesn't. Tach does the watoosee while the speedo does the shuffle. That's the way it is, get used to it.

Temp gauge will run up to about midway on the meter if you are doing a lot of stop and go, or slow riding, especially on hot days. Under normal highway speed cruising it usually will drop a notch or two. Usually when the gauge gets around halfway, the fan will kick on if you're sitting still or barely moving. All normal.

If you haven't done the normal "new owner" maintenance to the bike yet, I would recommend looking for OldHossCanada posts on here and click on the link at the bottom of his signature and it will give you plenty to read and think about, for getting the bike in tip top shape. Also, you'll want to check your final drive/driveshaft splines ASAP. That procedure is in the bottom of my sig.

Great having ya! Enjoy the new ride!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

My biggest concern was the cruising RPMs. and the cooling, thank you for giving me an answer to them.

I also notice, your Bike is also missing the "V" off of the Vulcan 750 Logo, mine is missing the same, is this a common thing to have happen? haha

Thanks again,

ID

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
two years on my bike and I still try to hit 6th now and then.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 PM

Well since fergy said it all I will just agree with him.....the V on mine came off so i just peeled them off the rest of the way....You may want to check the air pressure in the tires that will surely cause some vibration..I know I been there at 22lbs it vibrates alot...and i to look for that missing 6th gear....i have put about 2200 miles on mine since March 09...ride safe and enjoy...you got a great bike there

2000 vn750 purchased in May 2008 13658 miles on her
degoated Cobra pipes added
metzler 880 on the rear in May 2009
Street Shield EX...(no more bugs)

NEEDED MODS
relocate rear turn signals
wanting to add a highway bar

But hey shes all mine and I love riding every chance I get!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've seen several "ulcan" stickers in photos here!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies... i'm a little nervous about taking some of the stuff apart, i suppose its my "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality... now if it was a computer... Haha

So the other day i rode after posting and really paid close attention, im still a bit confused, could someone step me through it?

Normally I try not to hit 15-20 mph in 1st,
25-30mph in 2nd (which is generally around 4k rpm I think?
30-40 in 3rd (by 40 im at 4k RPM)
40-50 in 4th (by 50 im at 4k RPM)

am I right in this? or am I way off? especially at 4k in 2nd and 3rd the bike just feels like it vibrates, 4k in 4th feels pretty smooth, as does 3kish in every gear?

I'm just not sure where I am supposed to be, any insight would be greatly appreciated!

and for the heck of it, a picture of it warming up for my 1st ride:

and for the heck of it:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Old Truck Junkie

If you are shifting at those rpm's (4,000 and up) is fine. I shift by what mood I am in. Ussually 5,000 and up. From time to time I will red line. As long as you stay down below red line you will be okay. This is a rather tough engine. It loves to run.

Welcome to the group.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the madness IC. It has been over a year now since I have been able to ride. This was my first motorcycle even though I have had a llicence for 41 years when I bought it a year ago in May. I only had the bike for 6 weeks before I broke my leg, so my recollection of exactly how I rode is a little hazy. I know that I didn`t like reving the engine much over 5K due mostly, I think, to the too high pitched exhaust tone. Fuel economy really drops too, once you go above 5K rpm. I probably upshifted at about 4K most of the time. I don`t pay too much attention to the tach for shifting, just shift by ear.

I know now, that when I was just cruising around the neighborhood, that I was lugging it too much, which causes the combustion chamber and valves to accumulate a carbon buildup. I think you want to keep your engine speed no lower than ~ 2500-3000 RPM in most cases, to avoid this problem.

As has been mentioned, this engine is almost bulletproof, and and likes to rev. So don`t be afraid to wind her up, you won`t hurt the engine. I would however try it in 3rd or 4th gear the first time, as 5th gear at the redline may be just a little faster than you wanted to go. I know that I haven`t wrung mine out all the way yet, I started backing off once the speedo hit 150 km/hr (~90mph). The speedo reads about 10% fast so I was really only doing about 80mph, I found out here on the forum, some time later.

Enjoy the cruise through the forums and down the road. See TEN THINGS in sig below.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 PM

hey IC I love to put mine thru the paces at times the other half and i love to race each other he has a Harley Electra Glide we get to 98mph or so and I give up but I can run with the big dogs...haha.....I have to agree with niterider I shift by my mood...

2000 vn750 purchased in May 2008 13658 miles on her
degoated Cobra pipes added
metzler 880 on the rear in May 2009
Street Shield EX...(no more bugs)

NEEDED MODS
relocate rear turn signals
wanting to add a highway bar

But hey shes all mine and I love riding every chance I get!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement