No longer a potential new owner.... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

No longer a potential new owner....

....picked up my 2006 750 with 475 miles!!! Much of my decision to buy came from this site...lot of positive comments here. Thanks

Have some questions and comments:
Bike vibrates more than I would have expected. Normal?
Clear plastic (drain?) tube from battery area dangling under bike. Normal?

With lingo like "shaved", "degoat", "R/R", etc, where the glossary?

Lots of different thoughts around exhaust replacement and/or rejetting...any concensus of opinion? Speaking of pipes, V&H dot com and links supplied on this site, only show V&H pipes from '86-'05....what about '06 and beyond?

This site, while helpful, seems a bit cumbersome to navigate (find stuff you really want)....just my $0.02

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 PM

First step is to read the VULCAN VERSES. Vulcan 750 should not vibrate, they are quite smooth for a V-twin.

57 years experience,Zero accidents. Starting with 1947 Indian Chief. Now VN750 , V65 Magna, Burgman scooter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Love My Baby

Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
....picked up my 2006 750 with 475 miles!!! Much of my decision to buy came from this site...lot of positive comments here. Thanks

Have some questions and comments:
Bike vibrates more than I would have expected. Normal?
Answer: NO. Buy a click-type torque wrench at Harbor Freight and properly tighten all the main bolts that could cause vibration

Clear plastic (drain?) tube from battery area dangling under bike. Normal?
Answer: YES. Buy yourself a glass mat maintenance free battery ASAP. You don't want to wait until the battery dies or spills battery acid over your new baby's frame and electrical junction box, etc.

Answer: Not sure. Good idea to put one in the Vulcan Verses?

Lots of different thoughts around exhaust replacement and/or rejetting...any concensus of opinion?
Answer: No concensus on anything anytime anywhere! Except on getting a maintenance free battery, that is.

Speaking of pipes, V&H dot com and links supplied on this site, only show V&H pipes from '86-'05....what about '06 and beyond?
Answer: Everything that fits an '05 will fit an '06. There is nothing beyond an '06, that was the last year mama kaw made the VN750, god rest her soul.

This site, while helpful, seems a bit cumbersome to navigate (find stuff you really want)....just my $0.02
Answer: You'll get the hang of it. Glad you're here!

Thanks again!

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

Last edited by rubyrick; 07-19-2009 at 07:17 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:31 PM

hmm iunno my vulcan gets kinda buzzy at high speeds.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 AM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Shaved: Remove the air cleaner pods, replacing them with something else.

Degoat: Remove the "pre-muffler" that sits under the frame.

R/R: Regulator/Rectifier that controls the voltage. Lots of folks relocate it because of the heat generated by the goats belly.

Of course these are the non-Webster's definitions but at least I understand their meaning only because I've read and re-read the posts on this forum.

I'm on several forums and this one is the best laid out, easiest to find something, and has the best members! You'll love it here as much you will the new bike.

Congratulations on the "NEW" bike - you found a gem!

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Calif Rider

These bike really do not vibrate. Something is not right when they do. Mine, like a few others have said, vibrate a little between 3500 to 4000 RPMs. But even then only a little noticeable. It is new bike and the vibration should not be there. You have a lot to check to see if you can find the problem.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Like stated earlier, torque down all bolts to proper specs. If still experiancing vibrations might consider checking into the balance dampners. I find it hard to beleive that they would go with so few miles on it but one never knows.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
it could be as easy as the motor mounts on the vibration too. I had one slide off while cruising down the highway. check the rubber on your mounts and see if they look okay. there are 3 mounts, 6 bushings!
as for the lingo, you will have it all figured out soon although putting it in the verses and maybe a sticky in the newbie threads is a great idea.
as for site navigation, if you cant find it ask, these guys and gals will be all over it!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

more newbie questions

OK, I think the vibration is more perception than reality to this new owner.

However, it does backfire like crazy on deceleration....read the threads around marbles & coasters (more terms for the glossary)....seems everyone agrees it's the right thing to do so I "coppered" mine [maybe I can start a new trend ;^ ) ]...anyway, the inside diameter of a 1/2 inch copper pipe cap fits perfectly over the outside diameter of round portion of the reed valve. I cut the cap in half, slid it over the end, and reattached the hose....is it my imagination, or does it run smoother?

Does everyone agree factory 1 5/8 turns of fuel mixture is too lean?

OK....have to ask 'cuse my wife wants me too....What is the official color name of the red paint Kaw puts on it's tanks....and (are you ready) what helmet manufacturer comes closet to that color?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
OK, I think the vibration is more perception than reality to this new owner.

However, it does backfire like crazy on deceleration....read the threads around marbles & coasters (more terms for the glossary)....seems everyone agrees it's the right thing to do so I "coppered" mine [maybe I can start a new trend ;^ ) ]...anyway, the inside diameter of a 1/2 inch copper pipe cap fits perfectly over the outside diameter of round portion of the reed valve. I cut the cap in half, slid it over the end, and reattached the hose....is it my imagination, or does it run smoother?

Does everyone agree factory 1 5/8 turns of fuel mixture is too lean?

OK....have to ask 'cuse my wife wants me too....What is the official color name of the red paint Kaw puts on it's tanks....and (are you ready) what helmet manufacturer comes closet to that color?
Congrats on getting the new ride, and finding another cheap, easy and reversable way to marble/copper cap the emmission controls. I think you are right about 1 5/8 turns out on the fuel mixture being too lean, but I will let those who have played with such things give you the correct numbers.

Here is Colorrite Paint`s site with your Candy Persimmon Red and Ebony Black colors. http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colo...TOKEN=39239335

lance can give you a professional opinion on painting your helmets to match the bike.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement