New Owner/Rider Phoenix Area - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

New Owner/Rider Phoenix Area

Hello everyone. I just recently purchased the '86 750 pictured below. At the time of purchase, the engine was running fine. Now it's overheating. It's pretty gradual...after about 20 minutes of riding it starts to boil over.

I took it to a local Kawasaki dealer, they said there were some leaks and the cap needed to be replaced. They fixed that and flushed the system and gave it back to me saying it was okay. I made it a few miles away and it started boiling over again. I barely made it back to the shop.

They took their sweet time with it and called me back saying the only thing they could think it is is a blown head gasket or warped head.

I didn't want to pay their enormous price tag for that job so I'm slowly working on tearing the engine out right now.

I'm a bit concerned that it may not even be the head/head gasket as there hasn't been any smoke at all from the exhaust. The oil did have a strange color to it when I drained it though.

I don't believe it's the radiator or pump as fluid is definitely moving through the system. I pulled the thermostat housing to replace the thermostat only to find that the housing was empty.

Just wanted to introduce myself and get everyone's opinions on the matter while I'm waiting for my parts to arrive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the group! That's a mighty cool looking saddle on your bike. Someone more experienced with the cooling system will pipe in here directly, but my gut feeling is that not having a thermostat in that bike, especially in your climate, might have been causing the problem to begin with. And finding weird coloring to your oil, really sounds like a blown head gasket, which would be from overheating, I think.
Like I said, someone more knowledgeable will show up here soon! Good luck.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 AM

i would say what fergy said no thermostat would let it overheat im in peoria az and what it going to be 115 today my head gasket was blown at 10000 miles and i had that weird coloring in my oil and it was the front head but my never overheated later weedy1

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Fergy. I like the saddle as well although it doesn't help with the sweat that Arizona will rip out of your pores.

I've skimmed around the website so forgive me if I overlooked it but are there any tutorials or hint articles on dropping out the VN750's engine? I'm following the Clymer manual but it always helps to have the experienced chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement