New owner in Dayton, OH - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
1986 Vulcan 750

New owner in Dayton, OH

Hi! I am a new owner of a 1986 Vulcan 750. The bike only has 5,500 miles and has spent the last 18 years sitting in a barn. I took the bike to local service shop, where the carbs have been rebuilt and tank relined. They have the bike started, but there is a bad top end noise. I am hesitant to have them further service it, as the price tag is going to climb pretty steeply. I am thinking of maybe tinkering with it myself, even though I have little experience with motorcycle engines. This forum, however, seems like a great resource.
Anyway, the bike is in pretty good shape externally. This will be my first motorcycle, although I have been riding a 125cc asian scooter for the last 18 months.
So, the next day or so I am going to have to make a decision on the future of my bike.
Just wanted to say hi and see if there are any members close by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Love My Baby

Hi jrw32. Congrats on the bike purchase. Only 5500 miles on an '86? What a find!

Can you describe the top end noise with a bit more detail? Our bikes are known for a grinding rattle-like noise caused by the cam chain tensioners, which is an inexpensive fix if you do it yourself.

Hope you enjoy your new bike. Read the Vulcan Verses in this forum and follow the suggestions for all new bike owners - it will save you much grief. Also, may I suggest you take a basic riders course and then an experienced riders course. I will make you a much better rider and could really save your life or at least your bike! Look up these classes by clicking HERE. There's one in Xenia which is close to Dayton.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hi and welcome to the group! 18 years sitting in a barn! That's a shame. Probably the worst thing you can do to a bike is let it sit. The noise is something that we would need much more explanation of to be able to "guess" at what is causing it. Like Rubyrick said, these bikes are notorious for a ticking noise from the cam chain tensioners, and the hydrolic valve adjusters are relatively noisy too in a good running engine. All the rubber on the bike including tires, hoses etc. probably are dry rotted and will cause you problems if they aren't replaced. Tires are no option of course! The bike could end up being a "money pit", but on the other hand, with that few miles, if the engine is sound, it could end up being a nice bike with the TLC it will take to get it in shape to ride and some time invested!
I hope Lance reads this cause he will have some good advice for you.
We're all here to help, so what ever you decide, we're all ears!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
The Professor

If it is the lash adjusters normaly they will pump themselves back up after running for a while. Get the bike from the shop and thank them for their services. I would change the oil and filter if it has not been done. drain and fill the coolant system if that has not been done.

Get a can of Seafoam and add to your oil as directed on the can, this will aid in cleaning old varnished oil and help pump up the lash adjusters.

Start the engine and let it run for about 20 minutes, keep an eye on the temperature gauge, don't let it hit red.

Turn the engine off and check brakes, tires, air pressure and make shure it is ready to ride.

When your ready warm the engine for a couple of minutes then take it for a 20-30 minute ride, keep the rpm's under 4000.

After a few short rides the lash adjusters should have pumped back up, if they are the problem.

Some tapping and rattling is normal and can be minimized with a little TLC.

If you do not have a Clymer Manual get one ASAP.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. When you get it running, be easy on the throttle. This baby's got a lot more power than you're used to.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

welcome to the madness! this site (by far) is the greatest! there is so much info here! the people are just great! please give us more info on your bike and I know this site will be able to help you fix it. also these bikes are really easy to work on.

also there are a few people on here that live down that way near you in Ohio too.

Last edited by ruger; 07-08-2009 at 12:03 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
1986 Vulcan 750

Thanks for all of your replies. I will get the bike from the shop soon and try to classify the noise a little better.
My one fear is the bike becoming a money pit...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
If you don't do your own wrenching, you might want to check out the dealership in Middletown, just off I-75. They're a pretty good shop.

http://www.middletowncycle.com/default.asp

If you want to go all the way to Cincinnati, I like Miami Cycle Works.

http://www.miamicycleworks.com/

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 07-08-2009 at 01:14 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness jrw32. Take some time to get to know your new ride. The Lady Vulcan will turn on you if you twist the throttle like you are used to doing on your 125cc scooter! Follow lance`s directions and check the TEN THINGS link below. Spend some time reading the Vulcan Verses and looking through the tech forums tables of contents. You are bound to find threads with answers to some of your questions.

Don`t be afraid to try working on the bike yourself. Most of the service and repairs can be done with a basic metric toolkit. Take some good close up pictures if you can, or draw some diagrams of what you are working on, before you start pulling stuff off. Take your time, keep the parts laid out on your bench or shelf in the order they came off and come back here for help when you need it.

There is a free downloadable Kawi service manual here: www.tocmanufacturing.com . TOC also supply heavy duty springs for the Automatic Cam Chain Tensioners (ACCT) found on the vn750, along with good directions for rebuilding the acct.

Take rubyrick`s advice and take the MSF Basic and Experienced Riding Courses, then get out and enjoy the ride.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Garage
Welcome to the group. As long as you didn't pay a lot for the bike, sounds like minimum costs for a bike that old.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement