Seems to be chargin fine but now - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Seems to be chargin fine but now

We noticed an oil leak. we tightend up all the bolts and it is still leakin think it is from the crankcase. Is this hard to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Can you post a picture of where it's leaking? That would help.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Hope i get this right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1670.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1934   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1671.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1935  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I cant tell exactly where in thos pics, can you use photoshop or something and circle the area and repost?

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
is it on the round ring of bolts around the clutch cover or the whole right side cover.I tell you what you can do to make it until riding season is over,mine was leaking at the top of the right side crankcase cover and I tried to tighten the bolts to no avail,it still leaked so here it is and i know this is not the proper way to fix an oil leak but it will let you ride until cooler weather and repair it right.set your bike on the centerstand and start it and bring it up to normal operating temperature,shut it off and drain the oil,loosen up all the bolts around the offending case(the leaker)do not pry on the case just loosen them up till they are not in contact with the cover. Take starting fluid and or brakleeen and spray the area that was leaking and wipe it dry,you won't be able to get it completely clean but do the best you can.Now using high temp black gasket sealer and run a thin bead along the seam where the two cases meet at the area where your leak was ,take a small flat piece of plastic or a clean putty knife or scraper and pull it across the bead of sealer trying to force it down into the area that was leaking,do this a couple of times and sit back and drink a coffee and take a break for about 15 and dream up new things you want for your bike.After the little break the RTV should be tacked up so retorque your bolts to spec wipe off excess sealer,pour a little oil in let it drain back out of the bike to wash out any solvent that may have got into your crankcase and about half a quart should do.If the leak is on the bottom I would let it set for however long what ever sealer you used said to cure,before putting the plug back in and refilling it with oil.luckily mine was on top and I could refill it immediately .I still had to give the sealer time to cure,before starting the bike but that oil leak is stopped for now and I'll keep an eye on it and replace the whole cover gasket this winter.Sounds Goofy I Know but it works ,the front engine covers on a Cat 992C Front end loader were notorious for leaking and it was a major teardown involving a boom truck to lift the radiators out and we would use this trick to wait for the next time they were in the shop where we had an overhead crane and a roof to teat it down and do it right,it is a50/50 shot and if it don't work you are just out a little time and a tube of sealant If it does you get to ride all summer before tackling that chore.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 06-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about the pic's It is leakin from the right side engine cover. The top bolt on the right. I don't have photo shop so thats the best i can do with the pic's Again i have to send a big thank you for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement