Hi all from Yorkshire, England - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi all from Yorkshire, England

Hi all
I have just picked up my 1987 VN750 and took a small gamble on it as it has no MOT. When i first saw it i thought wow thats better than the internet pics and to be honest it really does look a tidy bike.
I have a question tho that i have tried to find the answer to on the internet and on these forums but cant quite seem to find an answer.
Upon getting it home and fired up i was giving it a quick once over aqain and tried the lights all lights work ok BUT when i put the light switch to the 1st position my tail light comes on AND also both front indicators illuminate almost like running lights. When i operate the indicators they still flash as they should.
When i put the light switch to the 2nd position the indicators go out and the tail light works as it should and both full and dip beam work as it should.

So i was wondering if this was how they were ment to work or is it a wiring problem.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by shaunmc; 06-09-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Altered date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmc View Post
Hi all
I have just picked up my 1998 VN750 and took a small gamble on it as it has no MOT. When i first saw it i thought wow thats better than the internet pics and to be honest it really does look a tidy bike.
I have a question tho that i have tried to find the answer to on the internet and on these forums but cant quite seem to find an answer.
Upon getting it home and fired up i was giving it a quick once over aqain and tried the lights all lights work ok BUT when i put the light switch to the 1st position my tail light comes on AND also both front indicators illuminate almost like running lights. When i operate the indicators they still flash as they should.When i put the light switch to the 2nd position the indicators go out and the tail light works as it should and both full and dip beam work as it should.

So i was wondering if this was how they were ment to work or is it a wiring problem.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Vulcan Forum shaunmc, from sunny southern Alberta. Congrats on getting one of the best midsized motorcycles available, and finding The Best Forum.

The vn750 was manufactured for sale in different markets, and has some differences in the electrical features. North American bikes have daytime running lights with no on/off switch, only a hi/low beam switch.

VNs sold first in Europe or the UK have an on/off switch as well as a hi/low beam switch and a passing switch, according to the Clymer manual. I`m not sure about your front signal indicators shuting off in "the second position". I believe my bike has the front signals on at all times, and flashes "off" to indicate a turn. The rear lights only operate as turn signals by flashing "on".

There is a free Kawasaki service manual here: http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf , but it is big (2395 pages). Someone posted a link for a much smaller one (331 pages) few days ago. I`ll try to find it for you too.

Here it is: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11269

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-09-2009 at 01:12 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 AM

Welcome to the group.... greetings from the Netherlands...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Where abouts in Yorkshire are you?
It should be possible to rewire the switch to standard UK spec without too much trouble. I may be able to help if you need it. Running as you are will confuse drivers over here. My VN is wired with the lights always on US style, which is great as long as your battery is good.

'89 VN750
14000 miles on 20th April 09
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response all.

OlHossCanada - i double checked the operation and it is how yours works. Thanks for clearing that bit up.

RetroGaz - Near sheffield and i was wondering about looking at altering the wiring so it was Uk spec.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:24 PM

Hi Shaunmc, I'm near Cleethorpes. If you get stuck with the wiring PM me and I'll help if I can.

'89 VN750
14000 miles on 20th April 09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement