99 750 Vulcan - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Yes it charges beautiful 13.5 as soon as the fan kicks in to cool the engine is when I see the voltage drop and stops charging let sit for 15 20 minutes charges again until fan comes on I am lost I know cars pretty much the same thing on a bike just smaller just weird that it stops charging when the fan comes on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I start the bike up let it get hot fan kicks in voltage drops to 11.9 unplug the fan voltage goes up to 12.4 at idle but tops out at 12.7 at 4000 rpms
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Patterson View Post
Ok so I start the bike up let it get hot fan kicks in voltage drops to 11.9 unplug the fan voltage goes up to 12.4 at idle but tops out at 12.7 at 4000 rpms
Not charging at all after it warms up. 12.7 is about normal battery voltage, without adding any charge. 12.4 is close to below normal battery voltage.

I would test the stator hot. It's common for them to charge ok cold and short out when fully warmed up.

There's also the AC voltage test on each leg of the stator to read AC volt output.

A substantial voltage drop with the fan is normal, but you're getting no charging once it's hot.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

So I was looking at my rectifier connector looked pretty bad cut it off wired direct so know I am getting 12.8 out of rectifier at idle but battery is not seeing it test at battery is showing 12.2 at idle
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So I was looking at my rectifier connector looked pretty bad cut it off wired direct so know I am getting 12.8 out of rectifier at idle but battery is not seeing it test at battery is showing 12.2 at idle
Not charging at all.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Just tested stator everything is testing good resistance and ac voltage DC voltage out of rectifier is 13.5 but again battery is only seeing 12.5 one of my stator wires split off before rectifier and goes to main fuse box what is that for
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Just tested stator everything is testing good resistance and ac voltage DC voltage out of rectifier is 13.5 but again battery is only seeing 12.5 one of my stator wires split off before rectifier and goes to main fuse box what is that for
That wire splitting off is the trigger for the headlight relay. You could try the Blue Wire mod to see if voltage improves at the battery.

I believe the white wire off the r/r is the charge wire, you might try running it directly to the battery.

Last, you could try the Two Wire mod. It's known to cure this low voltage problem with the stator, r/r, and battery being good. Same situation Tanner had, posted in the mod thread. He went from no charge with all new components, to 14.5v.

2003-21k mi

post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

So I did 2 wire mod and blue wire mod headlight stopped working altogether I am really thinking my fuse box is bad
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:08 PM

Question

Quote:
So I did 2 wire mod and blue wire mod headlight stopped working altogether I am really thinking my fuse box is bad
Hmm, we've seen this before, but it brings a lot of questions.

Used the correct JB plug for each mod? Smaller plug is the 10-pin, larger plug is 8-pin.

Which mod did you do first? Did you test after the first mod?

Have you read the mod thread? Some have had the same problem, and until I re-read some of the thread, I can't elaborate very much on what the fixes were.

There's more than one wire of each color, some may be on the same plug, so you have to find the correct pin on the correct plug. Example: Blue wires for fan and headlight, but there are others also.

Certain years of the bike may have different colors than I found on my 2003.

You should be able to reverse the blue wire mod to see if the headlight comes back.

Suddenly my phone has crashed, and I have a hard time using my PC right now, which also just crashed. I can't sit at the desk for very long, but I'll look into this ASAP this evening. Thorn and others were a big help in the two wire thread. My phone is charging, and I guess the PC will get a scan.

2003-21k mi

post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Did 2 wire mod first starts in gear so I know it's right test still nothing at battery did blue wire mod next for headlight test no change went to put headlight back in right spot no headlight moved it back to mod spot no headlight all fuses are good I am completely stumped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement