New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Starting over

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 1995 Vulcan and I am very excited to get back into the motorcycling world.

I was born and raised in Germany. I owned a CBR600F there and loved it. It was perfect for the winding German country roads.

Long story short, I sold the bike, got married, we moved and my 2 kids were born. Now it's already been 5 Years without me riding a motorcycle.
We moved to Wisconsin and a week ago I had the opportunity to purchase a 1995 Vulcan for a very good deal. I was going back and forth about it, since I wasn't sure about the "cruiser life". But it was just too comfortable on the first test drive not to buy it.

It is a project bike and has a couple of things it needs fixed and/or painted but that will keep me busy until this Wisconsin weather decides to warm up and be biker friendly.

I have done my own repairs and maintenance before, but this will be the first bike with a carburetor (which seems to be pretty nasty right now). I am excited about the journey and the opportunity to learn new skills.
ubertalldude likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 06:09 PM

Welcome! And congrats on the bike. Patience and the folks on here will definitely get you up and running.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!
Yes, the forums and past posts are covering all of my initial questions and should be enough help to get the bike spring ready.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 09:21 PM

Welcome to the machine!

If the Vulcan feels comfortable, you're already ahead in this game. Once you get to really riding it, you'll probably find it to be pretty nimble for a cruiser.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 10:51 AM

Garage
Welcome aboard!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 11:29 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Hallo und herzlich willkommen !

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:04 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. Carburetors are THE way to go, they can be cleaned and worked on, and last forever with the occasional replacement of a few inexpensive parts. Admittedly the Vulcan 750 carburetors are somewhat difficult to get to, but it is not as hard as some people make it. I have found a few tricks to make it easier.

There are some things to watch out for on any Vulcan 750. The final drive splines and cam chain tensioners are known problem areas on almost all Vulcan 750s. You have to remove the engine to replace the stator, so I would check the charging system before getting to far into other repairs. When working properly, the Vulcan 750 is one of the most comfortable bikes ever made. I have owned 2 Goldwings, and find the Vulcan 750 to be just as comfortable for a solo rider, and a lot more maneuverable. It is not so great for a passenger however. I weigh 240, and tried to carry my 130 pound daughter on the back. The rear suspension completely bottomed out. And it completely ruined the handling, which is at least IMO excellent for a cruiser.

If you have the owners manual, go to the maintenance section and do EVERYTHING on the list. If you don't have one, get one. They can be found on eBay. All Vulcan 750s are the same so any year manual will work. I have a Clymer service manual, but I don't believe it has the maintenance schedule in it.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement