Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Cranking problems

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  VN750Rider/Jerry 
#1 ·
Hi from boynton beach fla! Got a 99 vn750 awhile back. First bike in 20 years. Well anyway did the ear shave and had it running pretty good. Put new plugs in and it would crank over once or twice pull the plugs out and it turns over. Any ideas why?? Thanks

#3 ·
X2 that's why I keep advising everyone to do the coil relay mod. This will send 12 volts directly to the coils from the battery. I never have a starting problem. Your bike will love you for doing this mod. It's not that hard. All bikes want 12 volts at the coils. Any of the vintage bike forums stress doing this mod.Trust me it will make a big difference.

#4 ·
Sparkys 73150

Thanks for the tip did the mod and it started great 5-6 times. Now its doing the same thing .Pull the plugs it cranks great got a new battery also. Possible the starter too weak? Its fairly new. Any help would be great its driving me nuts!!!

#6 ·
check all your grounds from engine to frame to battery.

also check the positive connections from battery to solenoid to starter.

give the end of the starter a light smack or 3 with the handle from a hammer (not too hard, you could break the magnets). see how it cranks, if it cranks nice and solid, the brushes are starting to wear. starter rebuild or replacement

only a few things can cause no crank.. low voltage to starter (battery, wires, connections), worn brushes (starter cant make use of the electricity getting to it), bad starter, or flooded cylinders (fuel dont compress worth a shiate)
this is all of course assuming its trying to crank

#8 ·
I have always had starting problems with my Vulcan 750s, but usually only after they have sat a few days. I am on my third one, 2 bought new, last one bought used. I had to jump start the used one when I bought it. I rode it home, and immediately put a new battery in it. It is charging fine. No indication the stator has ever been replaced. Vulcan 750s seem to turn over very slowly compared to most Japanese bikes, even with a new battery. Even when jump started with a fully charged truck battery. I never checked the starter amp draw. maybe I should. On my '02 I took the starter apart and cleaned it, it was filthy inside. But it made no difference. My first thought was that after a few days enough gas evaporated from the carburetors that it took a while to refill them with that vacuum petcock. I still think that may be a part of the problem. But I also think the Vulcan 750 has a weak ignition system, and you just don't get a good spark at those slow cranking speeds. Iridium plugs made no difference.

In your case, if it won't turn over with plugs in it, you likely need a new battery. But it is also important that ALL the connections are good. That means good metal to metal contact, not just tight. Over the years I have found an amazing number of quirky problems caused by a bad ground, sometime a long way from where I suspected the problem might be. I have never made any modification to the starting, charging, or ignition systems. I have replaced one stator on an '02 bought new, at around 80,000 miles. I still have the original R/R. I did eliminate the unreliable bullet connectors in the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator.

Sorry if this post doesn't sound right. I'm on medication for severe back pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.