Blue wire mod issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Blue wire mod issue

Hi, I have a 2003 and Iíve been loving every second of it until recently. My headlight stopped working. I did the blue wire mod and the light works! Great except now it wonít start. Iíve charged it and then it starts but it needs another charge again or it will strand me. So I switched it back to the original spot for the wire and it doesnít drain the battery but now Iím back to where I started with no headlight. Was there something I missed with the mod? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:21 AM

What are the charging volts?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Iím sorry Iím not sure what you mean exactly. When I rev it it goes up to 11.5 then goes down. I know thatís much lower than it should. But itís showing the meter go up but not staying anywhere substantial (with blue wire mod). Not sure if this answers your question. Thank you

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Garage
One of the three wires from the stator acts as a trigger for the headlight relay, so if that wire isn't getting voltage, you have no headlight (unless you do the blue-wire mod). Or your relay has burned out.

Doing the blue-wire mod doesn't really re-route the circuit so that it uses any NEW components that might be causing a vampiric drain. It's more likely that your stator and battery are limping along just barely keeping you on the road when your headlight is off, but when the headlight is on, you're drawing more amps than you're producing, and you eventually run out of pixies.

11.5 is more than "lower than it should". It's "failing horribly".

I recommend you yank the 10-pin connector out of the junction box, remove the yellow wire, then plug the connector back in. Start the bike and check for AC voltage between the yellow wire and the bike frame. Don't let that wire touch anything while the bike is running! If you don't read something like 5v AC (don't know the "good" range) there at idle, your stator is fried.
Spockster and MSattler like this.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, is it possible I just need a new battery?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigconey View Post
Thanks, is it possible I just need a new battery?
Very unlikely. The battery mostly has an effect on starting. For the purposes of this conversation, the bike should run on it's own without the battery once the engine was running.

Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

It never dies once running ever. It just wonít start after a couple times since the mod and will start everytime when I reverse the mod to stock. But no headlight
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:46 PM

Garage
Hopefully the recommendations in comment 4 will shed some more light on the situation. While digging around in the wiring, it's probably worth checking the output of each stator lead, and checking for a short-to-ground.

Service Manual Download
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

This was my first post but Iíve skimmed through stuff on here before. Pretty amazing response times. Thank you Iíll check some stuff out
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

For a week I was just riding in the day with the headlight off and the blue wire mod back to stock so the light doesn’t work and it fired up perfect everytime. Now, I redid the blue wire mod so I have a light and unhooking the 10pin box whenever I stop or overnight. Plug it back in and it’s started everytime. Somehow it must be drawing off the battery with it hooked in(connected)and not when it’s unhooked (disconnected). Do I just need to add a switch to make this function less of a pain in the ass? Why is the blue wire mod drawing power when it’s off? Thanks

Last edited by Craigconey; 07-31-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement