Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

965 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
i just bought a 2001 750 from my wife's cousin. it's a nice bike and only has 6700 mile on it when i bought it. i really enjoy riding it a lot more than my suzuki gs500. its time to get a windshield for it though and maybe look for a better seat. any recommendations? :motorcycl

#2 ·
Damn low mileage on that bike. Great score. I have a 2000 but it had over 20,000 miles on it when I bought it. The seat sucks. Such pain on long rides. A lot of people seats from Vulcan 900s and Sportsters on their bikes. People with 900s complain about how uncomfortable their stock seats are but they have to be better than ours.

#3 ·
I'm real fond of my Spit Fire windshield. It's not real pricey, though there are cheaper ones. The Chinese one I bought a couple of years back had hardware that wasn't much harder than cheese! The Spit Fire is better than that anyway.

I've also got a Corbin seat off Ebay and it looks a little rough, though the price was right. Some people don't like them because they're hard--almost like a wooden chair. This is the first Corbin I've tried, though I've had aftermarket seats on other bikes. I like this seat better than any of the others on other bikes previously.

Welcome aboard!

GDI

#4 ·
+1 on the Corbin seat. If you can find one. (Not sure if they are still available at Corbin, but I bought mine used anyway)

As for windscreens, the Plexifairing 3 is highly recommended if you want full coverage. As is the Plexistar 2 (which I had)
I also had a Memphis Sheilds "Hellcat" that was great for a small sized screen.

Photo of the two side by side:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/1490861142/in/album-72157602271287132/

#5 ·
Welcome. I have had two bought new Vulcan 750s, a 1993 and a 2002. I traded the 1993 (with over 80,000 miles on it) in on a new 2001 KLR650 and that didn't work out. In less than a year I traded the KLR650 in on a 2002 Vulcan 750. That one made it to 108,000, and the engine failed due to a broken cam chain. I let it sit for a couple of years, and bought a 2006 Harley Sportster 1200 to replace it with. While I love the Sportster, I got to missing the Vulcan 750. I recently bought a 1997 with 21,000 miles on it, completely stock. It needs new tires (which I have) and a few other minor things. It runs beautifully. However, due to having my car stolen recently, I've had to put it on the back burner and get my other car fixed up so it will be reliable to drive. I hope to get the Vulcan finished by the end of summer (hear in southern AZ, winter is riding season)

Before riding it much farther, check the final drive splines and cam chain tensioners. Both have issues on the Vulcan 750, and can cause some very expensive damage. Yours has such low mileage you can probably save both the drive splines and replace the cam chain tensioners before they destroy the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.