New member - 1996 vn750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimFavors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

New member - 1996 vn750

About 9 months ago I purchased a 1996 vn750 with 9K miles. It apparently has been kept in a garaged as it is very clean, has no rust, and is in sweet condition.
I have changed all the fluids and greased the drive shaft spline.

The bike had problems idling so I pulled the carbs, cleaned and kitted them. It ran wonderfully for a few months then started the dreaded fast idle problem. Checked the carbs again, but was not the problem. Discovered the petcock diaphragm was leaking fuel through the vacuum line and causing this problem. Tried an after market petcock which failed miserably. Then rebuilt the original for a complete fix.

The cooling fan was not turning on so I had to disassemble and repair the relay board. A few of the solder joints were cracked.

During the petcock problem I removed the air box (in one piece), and installed small cone filters. It is super easy to remove the carbs now. I tried re-jetting the carbs with various size jets but could not get smooth results through the power range. So I returned to the original jets and fabricated air restriction cones to slip over the filters. Had to play with air flow sizing a bit but was able to tune perfectly to the original jets. I used clear packaging tape to fine adjust the openings on the air restriction cones. I now have smooth acceleration through the power range with cone filters and the original jets.

Other mods I have done:
Converted the old filter housings into glove boxes. I used Gorilla tape as a lower hinge and mounted a latch on top to keep them closed. I keep a tool kit in one side and my gloves in the other. Very handy.
Clutch basket mod.
Installed a 7" LED headlamp by changing to a larger headlamp basket.
Installed a cell phone mount with wireless charger pad mod. Works great to keep my phone charged on the bike. And no cables to deal with.
ubertalldude likes this.

Jim Favors
1996 Vulcan 750
Earshave, Clutch basket mod, LED Headlight and lamps,
Orig air filters converted to hold gloves and tool kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:07 PM

Garage
I have a 6 page thread on rejetting after an ear shave. If you're running stock exhaust at sea level, it seems you'd want 38/135 vs the stock 38/132. I pulled my mufflers off, running open out the Goats Belly. I found 40/140 works perfect. Shims seem to cause issues.

It seems a shame to restrict your air filters like that.
That's just restricting your max power.

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Jason, thanks for you input. I plan to re-install 135's in the near future.

Yes I am running stock exhaust at sea level.

During my efforts of rejetting after earshave I did find noticeable power gain with the larger jets. But I had the variable of an unknown petcock fuel leak into the vacuum line. This was causing really weird issues and was quite the headache. So after fixing the petcock issue I decided to just go back to the original stock baseline and get the bike running smooth there. That's when I started restricting the air to match the original air cleaner flow. I was so pleased with those results that I decided to just enjoy the ride for a while. I would say this current configuration matches stock performance and smoothness across the power range. This gives folks an option to earshave without re-jetting.

That said, I am about ready to put the 135's back in (for power increase) and re-tune the air cones. The air flow will be easy to retune as I have multiple air slots on the cones and use clear packaging tape to adjust the air flow. I will post some photos after I get passed the junior member restrictions.

Jim Favors
1996 Vulcan 750

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

BTW: I have read your, and others, pages on re-jetting and refer to them often. Thanks to all who are willing to post this wealth of info.

Jim Favors
1996 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement