New owner and rider - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Intro—So i recently purchased a 2004 Vulcan 750 with 1470miles on it and it’s been sitting sense 2005, I started to somewhat get the bike back on the road by: clearing the gas tank of rust, cleaning the carbs, getting tires, changing all the fluids, simply cleaning the bike, and a battery. I joined the forum with the hope of getting help with some issues and possibly provide good feedback to what I encounter to help others.
Problem—The engine will run but there’s oil getting into the combustion chamber and leaking out through the exhaust pipe. I’m guessing a seal, however I was wondering if there’s anything I can try to help without breaking down the engine.

Last edited by VULcan2004; 05-15-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. There are 3 ways oil can get into the combustion chamber. Through the carbs (from the crankcase vent) valve guide seals, or past worn rings. If there was enough oil to actually leak out the exhaust, it should be smoking like crazy with the engine running, and the plugs should be badly fouled. Other than from the combustion chamber, there really is no other way oil could get into the exhaust.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Welcome. There are 3 ways oil can get into the combustion chamber. Through the carbs (from the crankcase vent) valve guide seals, or past worn rings. If there was enough oil to actually leak out the exhaust, it should be smoking like crazy with the engine running, and the plugs should be badly fouled. Other than from the combustion chamber, there really is no other way oil could get into the exhaust.
Thank you for the response. I’ll have to check and see what can be done to fix this, and yes while running there was a lot of smoke.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VULcan2004 View Post
Thank you for the response. Iíll have to check and see what can be done to fix this, and yes while running there was a lot of smoke.
Everyone loves Seamfoam. You can run it in the oil or the gas (or both). Assuming nothing is broken or overly worn, the Seafoam might clean out some junk. If you suspect the oil is coming through the piston rings, you can do a compression check.

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM

I use full strength Seafoam to fill carbs with if the bike is going to sit for a while. I have used it in oil on used bikes, but you still have to change to oil about 10 times before it will stay reasonably clean. I would first do a compression check and see what you get. If the compression is low, nothing but an engine rebuild will fix that. If it's the valve guide seals, that's a bit easier, but still a whopper of a job. Being a 2004 with under 1500 miles on it, it may have a lot of problems caused by deterioration over the years. That's why I always start and warm up stored bikes at least every 2 weeks, to prevent internal rust and corrosion and rubber seals from drying out and leaking. That bike may have sat there for 15 years without being touched.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
Old Fart

Garage
It's possible the previous owner poured oil into the the cylinders knowing it was going to sit for awhile.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Quote:
...oil getting into the combustion chamber and leaking out through the exhaust pipe.
I'm skeptical of oil making that trip without turning to smoke first. Could it be fuel and just washing black soot out of the exhaust? That could be a stuck float in a carb causing that, very common with one that has been parked a long time.

Are both cylinders getting hot after running? One cold cylinder, and strong gas smell, could be a sign of a stuck float.

I would suspect oil rings stuck with carbon, but you just don't have the miles for that.

Quote:
It's possible the previous owner poured oil into the the cylinders knowing it was going to sit for awhile.
x2 on that. How long did you run it?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
That is certainly possible, but I would think that unless they did it recently, that oil would have seeped past the rings and out of the cylinders a long time ago. You also mentioned a rusty tank and having to clean the carbs. Now, I'm OCD about such things, but I could store a bike for 15 years with virtually no deterioration at all. It would require some attention. I have a couple of bikes stored right now, and they have been for the past 3+ years. But they have non ethanol storage fuel (the stuff is $20 a gallon, but lasts for 2 years) in them, they are connected to battery tenders, and they are started and warmed up at least every couple of weeks and thoroughly warmed up. I sometimes even ride them around the back yard so that everything that is supposed to be moved gets moved. If I were forced to let a bike sit for an extended period of time I would have removed the tank, drained it, and coated the inside with oil. I would have filled the carbs with oil. I would have propped it up to keep the tires off the ground/'floor. And yes, I would have filled the cylinders with oil, and sprayed fogging oil through the carbs to help protect the valves and valve seals. I would also have sealed off the intake, exhaust and crankcase vent to keep moisture out.

I still recommend a compression or leakdown test to see what you are dealing with. It is possible that the rings rusted in the bore, and the seller got them unstuck before selling the bike. But there would likely still be extensive damage to both the rings and cylinder walls.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

First thank you for all the help.

Now a couple things about the bike:
-I did a compression test and all 4 came out to approximately 165psi (cold)
-the bike was not properly stored, however all seals I have come in contact with have been in great shape. (It was garaged the whole time)
-the carbs and the fuel tank were cleaned out 100%
-oil and coolant have been replaced- still waiting to change brake fluid
-Tires were replaced
-I filled the fuel take with 91oct and a small amount of Seafoam.
-For it to start I have to give it throttle, it won’t start without the throttle. (Maybe not enough fuel getting to the engine).
-when the bike is running it is still smoking a lot (maybe some smoke is coming from the seafoam, I’m pretty sure it’s not just that.)

Last edited by VULcan2004; Yesterday at 03:58 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VULcan2004 View Post
-For it to start I have to give it throttle, it wonít start without the throttle. (Maybe not enough fuel getting to the engine).
-...)
When you open the throttle during cranking, you're giving it more air. This tends to point toward too much fuel before the engine starts.

Can you answer any questions from my first post?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement