Long time reader, finally bought one - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Long time reader, finally bought one

Hey everybody! I've been looking at this model bike for over a year, and cruising these forums to make myself familiar with the VN750's quirks. Finally took the plunge and bought a 2002 VN750 with only 7,800 miles! Moving up from a 150cc scooter, and I've only had the VN about two weeks but really like it. So far I've replaced the battery with a Yuasa, replaced the stock headlight with an LED, and changed the oil. It starts up immediately now that I installed a new battery and headlight, but I think I might get new spark plugs as well.

Hoping to change the coolant and final drive oil and check the splines in the next couple weeks, but I've barely had time to ride it since I got it. Thanksgiving will give me some time to tackle these more involved tasks.

This is my first bike so some of this maintenance is a little intimidating, all I had to do on the scooter was change the oil and occasionally flush the carbs. But so far I'm digging it, working on it when I can, and all the mods outlined in the Vulcan Verses will give me something to do over the winter. Anyway, just saying hey, and I'm sure I will be back here with questions later this week!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_175807.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	45223  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome!

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

If there's any other maintenance y'all can think of, I'd be more than happy to know what else I should do with it.

I'm also planning on checking the stator over Thanksgiving and replacing all turn signals/running lights with LED's. I have been a little confused as far as which kind of LED's to use in the signals, etc. I've seen a few brands linked but none of them seem to have threads to screw into the turn signal housing?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 PM
GDI

Welcome!

To each their own, but haven't heard a compelling argument for LEDs yet. Motorcycle charging systems are different than cars. They need to dump off whatever power's not used. Unless you've got a use for the power you're saving. . . not worth it, IMO.

As far as maintenance. I would recommend checking the drive shaft and rear wheel splines, and greasing them up good with Honda Moly 60. This is an area that was neglected by the factory--some years worse than others. My 2003 needed some attention when I bought it. The inside of the drive shaft tube had a lot of metal powder produced by the lack of lube on the splines. There's still plenty of metal left, so I'm not concerned, but I have heard of drive-shaft failures when this is neglected too long.

Another area that I think is a little more important than some is the brake fluid. If yours is all brown and nasty changing it out sooner than later would probably mean improved brake action. Old fluid can make your brakes feel "notchy". An inncremental increase of force results in very little increase in braking, then all of a sudden they'll grab--not good!

GDI
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Welcome to the nucking futhouse. If she has any excessive vibration or if there are rubber chunks in the screens in the oil drains I'd look into changing the balancer bushings

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:21 PM

Welcome friend. Good time of year to buy. I just recently went LED signals front and back, the 2 tail lights, and the license plate. The front signals are no longer running lights. With all the watts I saved I added 2 LED spot lights at 18w each. The spot lights are switch controlled. Start up now is real strong.
Get rid of the stock signals all together. You need to get fork clamps to install new signals in the front, what I did. You could put them through the hole where the stock signals were removed from. Will need a washer as the hole will be too big.

2000 VN750
Digital voltmeter
Lubed spline (5k)
New tires (5k)
Pick up coils to .20mm
K&N air&oil filters
Relocate R&R
2 wire mod
Iridium plugs (7.2k)
Change oil and filter (8.6k)
Removal of the CA emissions (7.3k)
Cap Reed valves off the engine (7.3k)
Redesign stock seat (8k)
Change Engine Ice (8k)
Install KLR650 bars (8.3k)
Change final drive oil (8.3k)
Install power source & phone mount (8.5k)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 AM

Lube the spines tomorrow dude. Can not stress how important it is for some of those 2000 models. If your spline gets chewed up, you're going to be kicking your own ass up and down these forums.

As for LED lights, go for it. But you'll need a flasher unit for them to work. Also, add some additional lights to use up the extra power, as noted above. More light for the same power is always a good idea
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Also, hey didn't they discontinue Honda Moly 60? What's a good alternative? Please send a link and I'll buy it today.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:37 AM

Been a few years for me, but I think I picked mine up on Amazon. Probably any moly grease is better than nothing though
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptidcommander View Post
Also, hey didn't they discontinue Honda Moly 60? What's a good alternative? Please send a link and I'll buy it today.
I'm ordering this: Loctite 234227 LOC51048 Moly Paste Anti-Seize Compound
65% Moly.
Good reviews.
I have no prior experience with this but I've used a lot of Loctite products over the years and I trust them.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-23422...s&pageNumber=4

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement