Check out the Vulcan verses to get an idea of what maintenance you should do, but a short list of my recommendations follow:
1. Lube your spline. Who knows if that has ever been lubed by a previous owner!
2. AGM battery if you don't already have one. Wet cell batteries suck. Change it before its too late
3. Put a voltmeter on the bike. It'll potentially save you from getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, like I was, if/when your stator fails.
4 Change all your fluids. Coolant, Brake, Oil, final drive (am I forgetting anything?)
5. Remove the goats belly, or at least move/replace the R/R. The goats belly tends to cook the R/R
Down the road:
1.Get some Iridium spark plugs. makes the bike start much easier
2. Blue wire mod and 2 wire mod. Takes a load off the electrical and makes starting easier
3. If you plan on pulling your carbs, do the ear shave. Makes things worlds easier getting them back in
We're here if you need help