Minnesota here. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Minnesota here.

New to the forum. Havent bought yet but found a 2002 with 11k miles on it. Doesn't look neglected and runs great. Guy wants $1000 for it. Seems reasonable, right? Anyway, my plan is to head the bobber route. I love me a project. My question is, is there any "must do" mods or upgrades I should do or consider before I dive into the aesthetic stuff? Or could someone point me in a direction to research myself? I appreciate any help. Tha k you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 08:44 AM
GDI

Welcome!

That's kind of an open-ended question you've asked, but I don't mind rambling on!

The Vulcan Verses is the area of the forum w/ accepted practices and recommendations and such.

Many of these bikes came from the factory w/ very little in the way of lubrication on the drive-shaft splines. That is something that is relatively easy to take care of and definitely important. You would want to get yourself some high moly content lube (Honda Moly 60 is what I use), and then take the back wheel off. There are splines in the back wheel on the output side of the gearbox that should have moly 60 on them. Then pull the gearbox off the drive-shaft tube and grease the input side of the gear-box as well as both ends of the drive-shaft. Details are available in the Verses, I believe. Honda Moly 60 is good stuff, so likely would not have to do the drive-shaft again unless you are in there again for some other reason. I generally add a little to the back wheel splines whenever I change tires, though that is likely not really necessary.

The electrical system is a known point of failure on these bikes as well. You may want to upgrade the regulator/rectifier and move it away from the "goat's belly"? I did that when my stator failed at 16,500 miles. Also added a voltage monitor to kind of keep an eye on things, and did the "Tuxedo mod" at that time. May not want to do all that 'til you have a reason, though.

The automatic cam-chain tensioners are another problem area. Generally, they'll let you know they're on the way out well before there's any actual harm done, so probably not something to worry about right away. Lots of members have replaced their automatic tensioners with manually adjusted tensioners as the factory replacements are no better in terms of longevity than the originals.

Chances are with an '02 you'll be thinking about changing out coolant, brake fluid, fork oil, final drive, etc. May want to do fork seals? I did mine on the '03 as the dust caps were cracking and showing their age. . . .

Then there's the mirrors, bags, seat, paint. . . . Lots of fun!

Wanted to add--$1000 is a steal for an '02 w/ 11,000 miles, in my opinion!!!!

GDI

Last edited by GDI; 09-15-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: commented on price for the '02
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Welcome.
Read this thread:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750...-new-ride.html

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 03:43 PM

Garage
Welcome to the site. Glad to have you.

1986 Vulcan 750
Purchased June 2018, as a first bike.
Put 1,300 miles on it so far.

AGM Battery, Iridium Plugs
SeaFoam does wonders, and I'm protected by Ride-On
Back tire: Dunlop Challenger.
Front tire: Dunlop Challenger, but about to replace it with a Kenda Cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement