Noob on board - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Noob on board

Hey guys (and gals I'm assuming). My name is John and I'm a new (very new) rider. I live in Mountain Iron, MN (up north). I've wanted to ride bike for years but it's never worked out. Finally said screw it and jumped in. Picked up a 93 Vulcan 750, got my permit (still need to get my endorsement), and signed up for a Basic Riders course (in Sept. unfortunately). I literally haven't taken my bike out of my driveway in the 2 days I've owned it. Hope to venture out (have some country roads next to my house) in the next couple days to work on shifting, braking, etc. Not gonna lie, I'm a little apprehensive. Easy stuff like turning and braking scares the crap out of me. But I love the outdoors (hunting, fishing, trapping, etc) so I look forward to getting out to ride. I know the apprehension will soon wear off once I get going. Wish me luck! I'll take any newbie advice you have. I already posted a thread about a weird ignition problem my bike has (I searched the old ones I didn't find a similar one). Hopefully someone will know something. Thanks again and I look forward to the community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum, JB.
I wish you well with the learning curve.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:10 PM
GDI

Well, sounds like you're still at the stage where you're learning the muscle memory. Some simple advice is just remember that if you need to stop, squeeze the brake and the clutch levers--no need to worry about shifting or back brake when you're learning and things get dicey!

Also, don't worry too much if you tip it over. Just about everyone has a bike go down at some time when they're learning. It would be nice if we could all learn from others' mistakes, but usually we have to make a few of our own to really get it all figured out!

GDI

Last edited by GDI; 08-04-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: cleaning it up a little--didn't make sense

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:50 PM

Congrats on the new ride. We all gotta start somewhere and a Vulcan isn't a bad starting point. A ride you can grow into.
You have enough time to get comfy before your skills test date. However, I'm not sure if you want to take the skills test on the 750. I don't know how big you are and if managing our bike will be easier for you. I'm 150 and been off and on riding for 13 years. I decided to borrow a neighbors Honda CM250 for the test. I had practiced with the Vulcan and I could pass it 8/10 times. It didn't help the DMV's course had a slight angle to the parking lot. So when I was going clockwise that's where I was failing here and there. I didn't feel like failing and having to reschedule and blah blah blah. You bring in MN by September it's gonna be a bit cold already? This could play on your comfort having to wear extra layers just to stay warm.

2000 VN750
Digital voltmeter
Lubed spline (5k)
New tires (5k)
Pick up coils to .20mm
K&N air&oil filters
Relocate R&R
2 wire mod
Iridium plugs (7.2k)
Change oil and filter (8.6k)
Removal of the CA emissions (7.3k)
Cap Reed valves off the engine (7.3k)
Redesign stock seat (8k)
Change Engine Ice (8k)
Install KLR650 bars (8.3k)
Change final drive oil (8.3k)
Install power source & phone mount (8.5k)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I actually will just take the test at the BRC in Sept (yes, looking like an eskimo). They have 250s that you use for class.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Great advice GDI. Took it out for about 30 minutes this morning in the neighborhood. Shifting was "easy", braking went better than expected. Turning from a stop needs some work. haha. Had to stop at a very pothole infested intersection and ended up laying it down when the front wheel got stuck. Picked her up, hopped back on, and off I went. Got the first one out of the way!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Welcome to the machine!

Potholes! If they aren't going to fix them, they should paint them white.
roadpouring likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrooks View Post
Turning from a stop needs some work. haha.

When turning from a stop, fingers off front brake, throttle up 2000 rpm or so(better more than you need than less. You could take it to 3 or 4000, it wouldn't matter but you won't need it that high) and steady holding it there, ease out clutch and control your speed with the clutch and sometimes simultaneously with the rear brake. Once the clutch is engaged, do not disengage fully or down you go, especially with forks at full lock, right or left. Keep it moving.
If you feel it going down, let out more clutch and perhaps more throttle(if it wasn't high enough to begin with) and it will right itself. You want to keep your clutch somewhere between just engaged and fully engaged, never disengaged and not fully engaged, slipping the clutch until the bike is fully underway in the direction you want to go and safe.
If you do go down, pull that leg way up or it could be pinned down under the bike.

Before starting the turn, shift your body weight to the opposite side from the direction turning and lift your chin up and point it far off into the direction that you intend to go. Don't look down or you'll likely go down.

Last edited by roadpouring; 08-04-2018 at 08:17 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:40 PM

You could take a motorcycle riding course. They furnish the bike which would be smaller and lighter than the Vulcan.
They'll train you through the basics and inform you of things that you never would think of except through bad experience and if it's like Tennessee, you just take your graduation certificate to the Motor Vehicle place and they issue your license.

It's usually two grueling days and payment, of course.
But... it's worth it.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:52 PM

Mountain Iron...very familiar with that area. My sister and her family used to live in South Grove, and now they live in Eveleth. Been all over that area, nice area to ride in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement