Just slapped down some cash on a 2005 VN 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob112o
  • 2 Post By kryptonianjorel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Just slapped down some cash on a 2005 VN 750

Hey folks,

Well, after months of trolling forums and bumming from dealership to dealership sitting on bikes like goldilocks looking for one that is "just right", I stumbled upon a VN750 at a local dealership.

https://www.motorcitypowersports.com...OwnedInventory

And for a pretty good price too! Yeah, 28k miles, but maybe there is some logic in the good old "if it was going to brake, it would have already" logic that I have been applying to buying used cars for years.

From the second I sat on it I knew it was all over. The shop is topping off the fluids and giving it a final inspection this weekend, and I'll be taking my MSF course this weekend as well. Could do worse for a first bike, I'm sure.

I'm a happy resident of SE Michigan and am just itching to start the adventure of motorcycling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 01:11 PM

Welcome buddy. This is the bike that got me riding again after almost 15years since the last one. It's a great first bike that you can still grow into as you get more experience under your belt. Check the Vulcan Versys to knock a few must do things. Get yourself a maintenance free battery and check the spline to see if it's gotten lubed when you get a moment.
Paulywog likes this.

2000 VN750
Digital voltmeter
Lubed spline (5k)
New tires (5k)
Pick up coils to .20mm
K&N air&oil filters
Relocate R&R
2 wire mod
Iridium plugs (7.2k)
Change oil and filter (8.6k)
Removal of the CA emissions (7.3k)
Cap Reed valves off the engine (7.3k)
Redesign stock seat (8k)
Change Engine Ice (8k)
Install KLR650 bars (8.3k)
Change final drive oil (8.3k)
Install power source & phone mount (8.5k)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 01:34 PM

Welcome!

WHat Rob said. Hell, call the shop and see if they'll check the splines for you free of charge. Might sound stupid, but the spline lube is essential and some bikes apparently didn't get any
Paulywog and Thorn like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 02:29 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard! Picked up a 750 as my first ride, and it's been absolutely great.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Garage
Congrats, and welcome. I took my New Rider course a couple of years ago, but didn't buy a bike until about 7 weeks ago. It's been a great first bike for me. The one you just bought looks great. No toolbox on the seat, but you got saddlebags, so who needs a toolbox (it's not much of one anyway). Good price, especially from a dealer. Good luck, and be safe.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readparse View Post
No toolbox on the seat, but you got saddlebags, so who needs a toolbox (it's not much of one anyway). Good price, especially from a dealer. Good luck, and be safe.
I used the toolbox for my LED light controls. nice waterproof-ish container for not-so water resistant controllers and such
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonianjorel View Post
I used the toolbox for my LED light controls. nice waterproof-ish container for not-so water resistant controllers and such
It's just sour grapes on my part, since I lost my toolbox door pretty early on Another item on knifemaker's "ten things you should do" list that I didn't do soon enough.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome,this site saved me a lot of money when I bought my 1st vulcan. Lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help. Enjoy your new ride.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:39 PM

PO used duct tape to hold the door on. I made some cuts with a dremel and gorilla glued a door hinge on the inside of it. Works like a charm
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonianjorel View Post
PO used duct tape to hold the door on. I made some cuts with a dremel and gorilla glued a door hinge on the inside of it. Works like a charm
Keeping the door on wouldn't have been that hard of a thing to do, had I trusted it to stay on by itself like I should have (meaning, I should have not trusted it at all). The first time I took the door all the way off (because I was taking the seat off, etc), it looked pretty sketchy when I put it back on, because it just sort of sat there on top of the bottom half of the toolbox, and between that and the lock, it was just going to stay there?

Anyway, I fell for it. What did I know, after all? Surely the Kawasaki engineers had put their best guy on this very question, and there was some dynamic at play that would take me years to learn in advanced physics classes.

Nope. It was gone by the end of my next ride. Of course it was. And I hadn't yet even seen the sticky thread(s) about those first things you should do when you get a VN750.

Could be worse. There are much more important, and expensive, things to lose. I'll replace mine one of these days. The big question is whether I'll be able to re-key it to match the ignition key, or if I'll have to re-key the whole bike if I want to have one key for everything (meaning both helmet locks, the ignition, and the toolbox). I suspect that's what I'll have to do if I want to have a locking toolbox. Low priority, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement