Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Back after lots of inactivity.

681 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Spockster 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So I signed up a long time ago made like two posts then disappeared for a few years. After buying a project 86 vulcan, selling my 95? Vulcan to get money to buy a car. then trying to get my project to run I've been reminded of this place with every problem I have with the 86. Anyways I figured I'd start back here again and re-introduce myself.

I live in Tacoma, WA
I've been riding on and off for the last 3 years. (Currently off)
I've pulled the engine from my bike so many times I can practically do it blind-folded now. I have no problem pulling the engine and tearing down the heads and cylinders.

Basically I've been all over the forums trying to figure out why I can't get the bike to run. I bought it for $200 the owner said that the repair shop said that the acct broke and timing got off. After Pulling the stator cover off the engine I found bits of plastic and metal. The Balancer came off and ground down a bit of the case sending bits of metal shavings to who-knows-where in the engine and broke a bunch of the dampers in the process. I replaced all the dampers, got the balancer back on. Put it all back in and.... no dice. I took it back out. I've done a lot of stuff since that which I could talk about if anybody was interested (and if I can remember, this has been sitting in my garage for over a year now.... maybe 2) but the Tl;dr I can't get my bike to run and thats probably a post for a different thread.

Thanks for looking at my rant!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
they didn't look bent to my untrained eyes. I lapped them while I had them out just to make sure they made a good seal. after doing a proper compression check, turns out opening the throttle makes a huge difference on compression checks, I found that front cylinder was at 175 and the other at 150. Would that be enough to cause it not to run right? I figured its due to me replacing the piston rings on the rear and not the front. oops. got the rings and the engine out now. I'll let you know what happens with new rings in the front.

Basically what happens is it'll run when cold then after running for 10ish seconds it needs some throttle and it just blows white smoke like the gas just isnt burning or something. plugs are wet and smell of gas. eventually I can't get it to run at all and I kill my battery.

also thanks everybody for the rewelcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.