New rider, considering a VN750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spockster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

New rider, considering a VN750

Hey everybody, I'm from Atlanta and I found a VN750 that I think looks really sharp and I might pick it up this week. I'm mostly wondering what's considered high mileage for buying used... I currently ride a 150 scooter, looking to move up to a motorcycle, and I found a 2003 VN750 with about 24k miles on it. It's being sold by a dealership so it at least looks really clean. I've been reading about common problems with this model though (spline lubrication, stator) and I'm wondering if 24k is too high for a new rider like me who doesn't want to spend a bunch of time pulling the bile apart to replace a stator. On the flip side, I sorta feel like if this bile was a lemon it wouldn't have lasted to 24k. If the spline weren't being cared for they would've gone out by now right? What do you guys think? I'm new, I'm okay at working on cars but I'm not amazing at it (changed my struts before, etc), do you guys think this bike is a good idea for a first bike? Price is 1300 btw, and the dealership said they don't have any sort of maintenance records.

I've lurked this forum enough to know Vulcans can last up to 100k with proper maintenance, I guess I'm just wondering if 24k is a high enough number that I should be worried about having to pull the engine to replace a stator, etc. I think it's been at the dealership for about 2 years as of right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30261359_10102556100461409_818517974603713329_n.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	43634   Click image for larger version

Name:	29792899_10102556100506319_2437852332848455383_n.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	43642  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:18 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard. I wouldn't be scared of it, but I haven't been riding that long either. Someone will chime in...

-2016 Indian Springfield
Chieftain bars
Roadmaster heated seat

-1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Ear shaved
Mufflers removed / 38/140 + 2 shims
Relay coil mod
Pick-up coil mod
Emissions removed
Lowered rear
Rear blinkers located in tail light housing
Petcock gutted

- Wife's: 2018 Can-am Spyder F3 Limited Pearl White
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 04:51 PM
GDI

My opinion is that it would not be the best choice. It would be an OK choice, though. My son recently learned to ride, and he's on an older Kawasaki 454. He's dropped that once and it's smaller and lighter than a Vulcan, but it really depends more on you than anything. A lot of it has to do with your physical size, and if you've ever ridden dirt, too. If you like the bike enough, you can certainly make it work!

I will say that I bought my bike from a dealer w/ just under 16,000 miles on it last August. Stator died by 16,500 miles! This is my second Vulcan, so like you, I knew what to expect. First one had problems w/ cam chain tensioners. There seem to be some little things with this bike that are problematic. Lots of bikes are that way. Most problem-free bikes I've ridden have been Hondas, but they're also *really* boring! I don't own any Hondas any more! Not meaning to offend anyone. Your mileage my vary. Might have had something to do with the Hondas I bought, etc., etc., etc.

GDI

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:20 PM
GDI

Just wanted to add that the hinge on the little storage compartment behind the seat looks like it may have seen better days. You'd better pull it off before you take the bike on the highway otherwise will probably get lost.

There's an easy fix, though. I'm attaching a couple of pics of mine--zipties are awesome!

GDI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ziptie-002.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	43650   Click image for larger version

Name:	ziptie-001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	43658  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 PM

The miles and the price aren't bad, stators just go. I think we've seen low mileage bikes with cooked charging systems. Bought my 2003 at 14k miles with a dead stator and dry splines, it must have about 20k now. Seems like it's got 30k more if I want it.

Maybe you can get the shop to test the stator + charging output, and grease the splines to make the sale. Have you tried to deal on the price any? If they held on price they might deal on those items. It's mostly just shop time and two fingers of moly.

It's got quite a few extras on it. Some sort of cover over the right headpipe, definitely aftermarket. Maybe it came with the pipes?

Rack, ext. backrest, saddlebag supports, running boards, windshield?, turn signal relocators.

As long as you respect the weight and power difference versus a scooter, you should be ok. Start nice and easy, get the feel.
Thorn likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
Just wanted to add that the hinge on the little storage compartment behind the seat looks like it may have seen better days. You'd better pull it off before you take the bike on the highway otherwise will probably get lost.

There's an easy fix, though. I'm attaching a couple of pics of mine--zipties are awesome!

GDI
Agreed. Mine had a stainless steel hinge installed by the PO and has lasted another eight years and will go much longer I am sure.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I'd buy it. You run the risk of dealing with a bad stator on any Vulcan 750 you buy. As there are no maintenance records it's even possible the stator had already been replaced.
If for some reason it did crap out there is about $500-600 worth of accessories on the bike you could sell. Looks like a Cobra exhaust, luggage rack, extended backrest, floorboards, bag support kit, and a windscreen.$$$

Your assumption that if it's gone 24k already it might be a solid bike is likely right. Whoever owned it looks to have taken care of it.

My only though would be to check the charging volts before you give them a check. Easy to do.

I do however suggest you take a new riders course before taking the bike out on the road. It isn't a scooter. It has a clutch and a shifter, it's much heavier, and of course more powerful. I usually suggest new riders start with a 250-300cc bike to start with. They are cheaper, cheaper to repair and easier to pick up.
But this is up to you. Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about things that can go wrong. That list is pretty big on any used bike you buy.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Another vote for taking a riding course and possibly starting on a smaller bike. The VN750 is a much heavier, more powerful machine with slightly different handling characteristics than a small scooter. Have you checked what KBB says the bike is worth? Dealers tend to charge more than private sellers would for identical bikes.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement