Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
News and Announcements Information and news related to the website

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes?

Quote:
'Loud pipes save lives' and 'the louder it is the faster it is' are all phrases youve probably heard before, but for a lot of people particularly the non-riding public loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious. Which camp do you find yourself in?
Read more about the Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:07 PM
NewB to Vulcans

I live close to a major, busy, road intersection, I hate loud anything automotive.
My Vulcan is plenty loud enough with stock exhaust.

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member

Garage
Ive never subscribed to the Loud Pipes thing. When Im driving a 4 wheeler my windows are up, the AC and radio are on and I cannot hear those bikes that I see closing in my rear view mirrors until they pass me.

Now the straight pipes on a B-25 Mitchell are something else!

37K+ Miles
Relocated R&R
LED License Plate Bolts
Solar Panel Battery Charger
Relocated new Turn Signals to Taillight Housing.
Replaced original round, chrome rear view mirrors with black, squared mirrors

June 2006 - Sept 27, 2013

Current Ride: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
4th Ride: 1981 Kz1000 LTD (2008 - Storage)
3rd Ride: Wife (1999 - 2005)
2nd Ride: 1982 Kz1000 LTD (1983 - 2004)
1st Ride: 1977 Yamaha XS-650 (1981 - 1983)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 05:04 PM

I think overly loud pipes are obnoxious, and make all us bikers stereotyped. I live in Southern Maine, and frequent an establishment called Bentleys Saloon. On any given day, there can be 1,000 bikes or more. It is a very large Saloon, very much more so in the summertime, when the tourists overcome our town on their obnoxiously loud bikes. The cops give this place their highest priority, due to the morons who just can't pull out quietly and respectfully to the neighbors, and patrons inside. Much better in the spring and fall when the tourists go away, then local bikers just putt-putt out, and attract zero attention. Loud pipes help no one, safe and courteous riding helps everyone. I love my 86 VN750 with the stock pipes, and so does the rest of this area. On another note, if anyone is ever cruising in the Kennebunk\Kennebunkport area on their Vulcan, and want to meet for a cold one, message me, lol. Let's just leave quietly. visit bentleyssaloon dot com and you will see how much fun it is, if people would just ride courteously.
Thorn likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

loud pipes are obnoxious in my opinion. also, where I live, 80 percent of the population is either deaf, blind, or both. now by deaf, I dont mean they can kinda hear, I am talking about 80 percent or more hearing loss. ya know, the kind that even hearing aids cant really help with. Its kinda funny listening to what I just said, echoed from the hearing aids. even more hilarious when they go into feedback squeal!
1RadCJ5 likes this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RadCJ5 View Post
I think overly loud pipes are obnoxious, and make all us bikers stereotyped. I live in Southern Maine, and frequent an establishment called Bentleys Saloon. On any given day, there can be 1,000 bikes or more. It is a very large Saloon, very much more so in the summertime, when the tourists overcome our town on their obnoxiously loud bikes. The cops give this place their highest priority, due to the morons who just can't pull out quietly and respectfully to the neighbors, and patrons inside. Much better in the spring and fall when the tourists go away, then local bikers just putt-putt out, and attract zero attention. Loud pipes help no one, safe and courteous riding helps everyone. I love my 86 VN750 with the stock pipes, and so does the rest of this area. On another note, if anyone is ever cruising in the Kennebunk\Kennebunkport area on their Vulcan, and want to meet for a cold one, message me, lol. Let's just leave quietly. visit bentleyssaloon dot com and you will see how much fun it is, if people would just ride courteously.
loud pipes have saved my ass on numerous occasions. I've had many times when someone was about to pull out in front of me when I've pulled in the clutch,and revved it up a little and the driver stopped and looked at me with a surprised look on their face.now diesel pickup trucks with their stacks and black smoke are annoying

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
minikrew likes this.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
I live close to a major, busy, road intersection, I hate loud anything automotive.
My Vulcan is plenty loud enough with stock exhaust.
^ this ^

I'm half deaf now and so is my dog.

Eff jake brakes, flowmasters, fart cans, screamin' beagles, sony xplod, woofer this n that, rollin' coal and straight stacks. Most bikes sound like crap with the pipes hacked off, my neighbor's sounds like a helicopter at full chop. I can sit on my front porch and hear crap cranking it 5 miles away, it's ridiculous. I can sit in my living room and feel the music.

I do like the Rineharts on the HD Ultra and I have heard some decent sounding VNs with various exhaust mods.

Got stock pipes on mine, but earshaved, and I have been able to get the right attention by blipping the throttle when there was no time to find the horn button. (low speed city traffic) The carbs make some extra noise. The first reaction should always be to avoid and evade, whenever possible.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:18 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
damn you outta hear my 81cb750 with her R.C. performance 4 into 1.sweet music.am tempted to take out the baffle. am getting deaf myself and need to hear when I need to shift,as the tach quit working

sportster seat

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 07-13-2017 at 11:21 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:20 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
as for the stereotype, you get that the second you throw your leg over the bike

sportster seat

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 AM

I know what you mean Doc, my CB750 had some 2 into 1 turnout duals. At 10,000 or more rpm, it just wailed. Think the CB350 was louder and a lot more nasty sounding, some aftermarket mufflers about 3ft long with not much in them.

I used to be the worst, everything was headers and glaspacks, the dreaded Thrush or Tiger mufflers, Basani or Hooker chambers on 2-strokes, etc. Never thought a thing about turning the Peavey up and wailing on it either.

For many years now I've been keeping the pipes quiet. Got a real screamin' case of tinnitis going and it just keeps getting worse. One night at the track it felt like a pencil got jammed in my ear, and it's been on ever since. For quite a while I always had earplugs, even mowing grass, but finally gave up, it was just too late.

I think there's a whole lot more traffic now, and a whole lot more people building for loud pipes, loud stereos, etc. A lot of the stuff has a really good sound, but people don't have any consideration about how or when they use it. I swear I could do a video tomorrow and you'd think I was at a track or an airport runway. Guess it's time to move out to the mountain top.

Saw one of the new Camaros, with a giant muffler like a steamer trunk and four outlets. Well two of those outlets are on pressure sensitive valves that bypass the baffles when you stand on it. Electric cutouts are getting popular too, I guess the old manual cutouts are all done.

When I moved here in '85, I wondered why all the neighbors were deaf. I found out.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement