Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
News and Announcements Information and news related to the website

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Alpha Geek

Oh, you're gonna do this again, huh? Just like the "ethanol is teh ebil" thread? I should know better than to bite on your obvious troll bait, but I hate seeing others misinformed by people who have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

For those not aware, I have a great deal of mechanical experience, definitely more than this guy who seems to enjoy trolling every technical he sees me post, and I also have not only certified master mechanics and mechanical engineers in the family but people teaching such things at a college level to those becoming certified in these fields. I also don't vomit out a line of crap, pseudoscience, and myths because I only speak about what I KNOW that I know about unless I've specified otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Since when? ...Most I've changed...I know of no others
Yes, they are absolutely designed that way. Doesn't mean it always works. Yeah, most that people change have stuck partially or fully closed because that's when people NOTICE. It is known by every competent mechanic and automotive engineer that this is a FACT.

Quote:
the oil turns to paste.
Show me an engine being drained of this "paste" aside from a few traces like clouding on sight glasses. It's a non-issue for a vehicle that gets up to operating temp even occasionally.

Quote:
Has to happen in the crankcase too.
LOL. Not to any appreciable degree from just sitting, and if the engine gets decently hot at all, it will drive the moisture out, otherwise we'd have a lot of cars with iron blocks and heads just rusting holes right in them.

Quote:
To say that oil does not go acidic, flies in the face of decades of motoring data that says otherwise.
You're being nonspecific to be misleading. The reserve alkalinity depletes and you get viscosity "breakdown", yes, but that's from heat and mechanical degredation, NOT from sitting. If you knew the first thing about organic chemistry, you'd understand the underlying principles. You don't, and you don't, and I have a damn degree in it. Seriously, you don't know who you're arguing with all the time.

Letting it sit does essentially zero to both alkalinity and condensation. Think about the source of the article and how oil companies and Jiffy Lubes have been saying for decades and are still telling us to change every 3000 miles. It's a load of crap.

I know better than to reply to your trollish goading again, so don't expect a response.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:30 PM

I know I'm talking to a youngster that thinks he learned everything from a book, versus decades of real experience and compiled data combined.

Wasn't troll bait, just batting down some of those motoring myths. Ya know?

Not sure what your problem is with me, don't much care, but I bet my first guess is right. When you spout nonsense, I'm likely to dispute it. But no, I won't follow the garbage responses line by line. Not sure exactly what words have triggered your tirade of sarcasm and name calling, I guess anyone that disagrees with you can be a target.

If all thermostats have been designed to fail open, Motorad would never have received the patent for theirs.

I've got 30 year old quarts of oil in the garage. Open one up and pour it out, guess what, the bottom 1/10 or so is like mayonnaise from condensation in the bottle. It's been known for decades that condensation contaminates the oil, it's indisputable. Get out and work on some engines Mr. Engineer.

There's a reason engineers are the running joke in industry.

Ethanol sucks son, go back and look in your carbs again. ha! Yep, you have just enough 'knowledge' to be dangerous. As I said in your favorite thread, you are too young to have ever seen or used real gasoline. Deal with it.

PS - Capitalizing the word FACT, does not make it one.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 03-09-2017 at 12:36 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexadecimus View Post
don't expect a response.
Sounds awesome.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 PM

MotoRad | Products| Fail-Safe

Fail-Safe Thermostats offer premium, patented technology for superior protection over any thermostat on the market. Only Fail-Safe is designed to lock in the open position when overheating occurs due to a failing cooling system component. This allows maximum coolant flow, thus preventing expensive engine damage.

Exclusive, patented design

Locking technology prevents costly engine damage
100% tested and calibrated
Manufactured with the highest quality materials from an OE supplier

Fail-Safe is designed to help protect your engine when overheating occurs. When overheating occurs, Fail-Safe automatically locks in the open position to permit maximum coolant flow.

When standard thermostats fail, they lock in the closed position and prevent coolant flow to the engine, which can possibly cause serious damage to your engine. Fail-Safe has a patented safeguard against overheating damage.

Fail-Safe thermostats are designed with a unique extra stroke that allows operation in two stages:

Stage 1: Within normal operating temperatures, the Fail-Safe operates the same as any other thermostat.

Stage 2: When overheating is caused by a deteriorating cooling system part, the Fail-Safe has a secondary stroke that activates a precision engineered piston that automatically locks the valve into a wide open position allowing coolant to circulate freely.

Note: Once the Fail-Safe thermostat has locked in the open position, it must be replaced and cannot be used again.

Don't confuse "failed" with "stuck open".

2003-21k mi

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:30 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexadecimus View Post
The only way any appreciable amount of condensation would collect is if the bike never gets up to normal operating temps. It really should not be an issue. In that case, I'd check the t-stat. They're designed to fail open rather than failing closed and overheating.

Also, in my experience, water in sporty primaries is usually from rain or wash water getting in through one of a few places.
if oil comes out of a Harley water can find its way in

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 03-09-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement