Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Forum Upgrade

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  LibertyPilot 
#1 ·

Sometime today (possibly) or tomorrow, we will be performing a major upgrade of the forum software. Because of this the forum may be down for a period of one or two hours.

Afterwards, some features may take a day or two to come back online (mainly the Photo Gallery and the Links gallery). All other features of the board will work normally (posting, etc...).

The updated software gives you a few new nifty features to play with (I'll post more info after the upgrade) and makes the entire forum more stable.

So, while we are busy re-coding stuff and the forum is down, go out and go for a ride! (...or If you are in a cold climate like me, go and think about riding!)

Thanks all!

See less See more
#5 ·
Good job DMAG, and I don't know if it has anything to do with the upgrade or not, but I haven't seen the "unavailable" message come up since you worked your magic.

#6 ·
Good job!!! Thanks

#7 ·
not sure if this is related... but today there were 2 spam postings....ahhhh!!! looks like we will need to do some added sign up measures if this keeps up

#8 ·
I noticed more spammers too. Two so far today and one either yesterday or day before, I can't remember.

#9 · (Edited)
If you see any spammers...report the post...it will automatically let the staff know about it.

Use the Report a post feature on the offending post:

On related note, I noticed 90% of the spammers all come from the same domain. So I banned anyone from registering with theose domain names in their email addresses.

#11 ·
One note regarding spammers.. They have been striking fast. They sign up and post and run. We try and catch them as soon as the post shows up but sometimes get caught up in the bill paying work *G*
(I check in from work when possible)
Chances are they never intend to repeat post or even check for any responses to their post.
DMAG is working on something that may make it harder to post spam first thing.
A few other forums we moderate some newcomers. It's added work in that we also have to approve each new member too and if they look suspicious they are moderated. That means we also have to approve their posts during the probation period. (more work)
As DMAG said, just let us know when you spot one and we will zap them as soon as possible. :hitanykey

#12 ·
bcde709 is a spammer and has posted several times. Same message but several posts. Maybe an email validation. Should be able to make it automated for less admin work :) That way when they try to register, they will also need to confirm their registration via email. If that email address is on this forum's blacklist, then registration gets denied.

#13 ·
FLOWERS It means that... You love the beauty of nature, the scent of flowers and appreciate this timeless romantic gesture. OR You get some twisted joy out of watching vegetation wither and die...
what eloquence! ...I kinda like this spammer. can we keep him around!?

#14 ·
What are spammers objectives? Are they bored? Do they think people are going to click the links they post and actually buy their stuff? They just seem like bored people doing dumb stuff for the sole purpose of annoying us meaningful folks. I don't get it, why would anyone ever become a spammer?

#17 ·
They're used to promote phishing sites and other crap. They try to get them to show up on major search engines. Some of them will ask "Hey are these [insert product here] any good?" and post a link to it. Or sometimes have a link to a specific site in their sig or profile

On another forum I belong to, we had some spambots that had a tiny, pretty much invisible image in their signature which was used to track how many times people viewed their posts.

#18 ·
^ I see. It just seems counterintuitive to me. They're so identifiable at this point. I wonder who would read something they can't comprehend, click a link they weren't looking for, then buy something they don't need. I don't understand how they're effective and if they're not, what purpose they serve. Ok, sorry for all the questions and thanks for answering them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.