Excess oil overflow - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Excess oil overflow

Hi all, I have excess oil is coming out of my breather pipe behind the back cylinder. The motor is running well and I canít think that this is normal. Is there meant to be a reservoir to catch this excess oil? If not any idea how I can go about stopping this rather anoying problem. Thanks Luan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Forum Faciliator

Re: Excess oil overflow

That is a new one on me. The crankcase breather hose is at the front of the front cyclinder and connected to the airbox, so I'm not sure what pipe you are talking about..

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Do you think the guy who rebuilt the motor has swaped the blocks? I have got cone type air filters directly on my carbs as apposed to the 'air boxes' so any other sugestions. Got the pipe directly into a beer can at the moment. Not to pretty as you can imagine. Thanks L

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Forum Faciliator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony
Do you think the guy who rebuilt the motor has swaped the blocks? I have got cone type air filters directly on my carbs as apposed to the 'air boxes' so any other sugestions. Got the pipe directly into a beer can at the moment. Not to pretty as you can imagine. Thanks L
Don't know, can you post a picture?

RB

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I am sorry it took so long to get pics but here they are. It is the back cylinder and the overflow pipe is just above the water resivoir cap in the first image. cheers Luan
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Old Fart

Garage

Was not sure what I was looking for from your photos untill I went out in the garage and looked at my bike. On mine, there is a large hex bolt plugging the hole in the casting. ( the one closest to the camera in photo #2) and the only other hole is the one next to it, and it is plugged up on my bike too, with what looks like a flush press in plug.

Which hole is leaking the oil? perhaps the plug fell out. The only "oil overflow" that I am aware of on this bike is actualy called the oil "breather" and it is on the front of the front cylnder...and should be connected to some type of filter.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

It is the pipe on the left in photo 2 that spews oil. It bows air similar to the exaust but not as strong when the bike is running so wondering if there will be any ramifications if I plug it up. Perhaps the bike will run better if I do. Do you think I should plug it? ps enjoy our member photo...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 AM

Loony,

It appears that you might have a freeze plug missing. Could the "spewing oil" be dirty coolant instead of oil? My bike appears to have a plug in the pipe that your're referring to in your photo, although I can't find any mention of it on the parts diagram. Your bike could probably run fairly good for a while with just a low amount of coolant circulating, plus a little air-cooling effect on the cylinders. When the coolant gets hot, it starts spewing out of the hole where the freeze plug is missing, possibly?

The hex-head plug that you see to the right and in front of the subject "pipe" in the photo is called a "breather plug" in the parts diagram. Your cylinder looks like it doesn't include the breather plug. Maybe a non-usa model difference.

CD in Frederick, OK
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thaks a mill for your input. I think I will plug it up soon and take it for a slow cruise to see if it is 'happy'. I don't think any harm can come from it. Cheers L
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 AM

Smile Re: Excess oil overflow

(Nothing like being redundent but just to let you know.)

I was just going over my bike making sure nothing much had worked loose and checked back there.

The rear cylinder on mine has a plug in there.

The same spot on the front cylinder appears to have a coolant hose going in at that place (reversed obviously).

You should plug it up for sure, and make sure you have plenty of coolant in your reserve tank.

In a rebuilt engine coolant sometimes can get pretty oily. And especially if the water has been boiled off and you are just getting residue and a little water spitting out that hole.

CD your engine looks very clean in those picts!! I wish I had someplace inside to park my bike.

Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement