Future Engine Damper part availability, please read! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Future Engine Damper part availability, please read!

Hey guys, Matthew Wellington recently posted in frustration about the lack of availability on the rubber engine dampers that commonly fail / need replacement on our VN750's. I confirmed with Partzilla there was indeed a national backorder on damper 92075-1747. At the time of the call, all they could tell me was there was no ETA for future fulfillment and that the part was still active and not discontinued (marked obsolete) in the Kawasaki parts catalog. Given how common it is for the dampers to fail and need replaced I was uncomfortable having so little information and uncertainty regarding this critical part. So I took it upon myself to contact Kawasaki directly on behalf of us all to get answers. Here's what I was told...

The damper is still active in Kawasaki's parts system but given the age of our bikes, as of now Kawasaki ONLY fulfills orders for the dampers on a "as requested" basis. As of right now, 20 of the 92075-1747 dampers will be shipped from Kawasaki to partnered Kawasaki parts dealers and dealerships on September 9th to fulfill backorders. The order for these 20 dampers was processed June 7th. So it "appears" there is roughly a two month wait (backorder) time to get dampers from your dealer / internet parts vendor (Partzilla, Ron Ayers, etc). The customer service agent at Kawasaki agreed with my deduction (2 month lag time to fulfill) but cautioned I (we) should not take this to be set in stone.

I explained to her (Cathy) that the dampers on the VN750 is arguably (vs stator) the single highest reason to pull the engine out of the frame for internal engine service. I stressed there is no aftermarket provider of these dampers and urged for greater quantities of the dampers to be produced. I asked to speak with the person or department responsible for decision making regarding part ordering / fulfillment at Kawasaki to explain and make a case (on behalf of us all as a community) for increased damper production. Cathy told me she did not have the authority to directly put me in direct contact. She did however, take my email address and phone number saying she would contact them on my behalf asking them to contact me directly about the damper's. Cathy additionally noted that authorized dealers and part vendors have the ability to speak with the department in charge of ordering parts to make a case / argument to increase supply.

What you should take away from this is....

1) Should you need dampers (and Ebay does not have any or enough to make a full set (6) for sale), order them from your dealer / parts vendor and be prepared to wait months for them to show up at your doorstep.

2) The dampers are being made available for sale based on backorders ONLY at this point. Dont make the mistake of waiting for them to show up in dealer / parts vendor stock!

3) If you have not already replaced your engine dampers or have high miles on the set you previously changed out, would be wise to order a full set of dampers now so that you are not forced to garage your VN750 and wait months for replacement dampers when yours fail. For quick reference, a full set of replacement engine dampers consists of....

4x - 92075-1747

2x - 92075-1748

See thtanner's "How To" thread for a complete list of "other" parts you will need additionally to change out the dampers (link below)

https://www.vn750.com/forum/31-engine...tallation.html

If / when I get a response from the decision makers in the parts fulfillment department at Kawasaki I will promptly share what they had to say.

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

Cobra Full Exhaust (Single Sided)
M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Sunpie 7" LED Projector Headlight / KZ750-B 76-79 Bucket & Trim
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
Aftermarket Grips & Mirror's
Full Chrome Tach / Speedometer
Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Rotella T6 / Bosch 3323 Filter

Last edited by Iceshot; 07-31-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:30 PM

Wonder how a set of Delrin bushings would work?

Just have these folks cut 500 or so: Delrin® | Plastic Sheets and Rods | Alro Plastics

Can get a 7/16" x 8ft Delrin rod for $35. Enough for roughly 30-32 sets of five bushings.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 07-31-2017 at 04:53 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Wonder how a set of Delrin bushings would work?

Just have these folks cut 500 or so: Delrin® | Plastic Sheets and Rods | Alro Plastics

Can get an 7/16" x 8ft Delrin rod for $35.
Provided Delrin was interested in making these for us, for starters I would imagine they would need 1 new 1747 and 1748 damper for reference (weigh, measure, etc). Then I'm confident there would be shared universal concern for how well Delrin's (plastic?) bushing / damper would hold up inside our engines. How well they endure the unique stresses, heat, vibration absorption, durability, and long term exposure to oil. To "sell" these as a viable alternative, someone would have to be willing to install a "test" set and log 1000's of miles with good results before "some" of us would be even willing to consider buying & using them instead of the oem rubber dampers in our bikes.

I encourage and welcome "out of the box" thinking for sourcing another alternative, but unless Delrin or other parts manufacture is willing to make a exact (or near) clone of the OEM part, it's going to involve a lot of groundwork and careful transparent testing to convince us collectively to use (buy) the "new suppliers part" (over the OEM dampers) in enough quantity to justify their efforts.

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

Cobra Full Exhaust (Single Sided)
M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Sunpie 7" LED Projector Headlight / KZ750-B 76-79 Bucket & Trim
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
Aftermarket Grips & Mirror's
Full Chrome Tach / Speedometer
Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Rotella T6 / Bosch 3323 Filter

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:00 PM

I think a set of five all the same (smooth sides) would work, probably not much magic in those two ridged OEM bushings.

Delrin is a trademark of DuPont, now known as Chemours. Probably the toughest bushing you'll find that's not all metal.

The Alro company was just the first link I found offering it, along with cutting and CNC services. I could probably go out tomorrow and find Delrin rod cheaper, it's made here.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Still would need the steel sleeve inside them. Thats gonna add a lot to the delrin parts cost. And with our luck, the sleeve is not an easily obtainable size

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:25 PM
Old Fart

Garage
This may be a stupid question (I ask one every few decades ). But how badly would the Vulcan run if you simply removed the balancers from the engine?
ubertalldude likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
Still would need the steel sleeve inside them. Thats gonna add a lot to the delrin parts cost. And with our luck, the sleeve is not an easily obtainable size
Maybe, maybe not. The Delrin is probably tough enough to run without a metal sleeve. There's no rotation on the damper weight posts, and we don't know the reason OEM chose the sleeve or the material for the bushing. Cost maybe? Delrin bushings get cut in machine shops all over, to keep factory machinery running.

There may be a better material than Delrin, but that's the one I know something about, and it machines very well. If the stock rod diameter fits, that leaves one operation to put a hole down the center. If not, then it's another operation to turn the outside diameter.

Not sure about running with no damper. Would have to modify both ends of the damper shaft, there's weight on both ends. And the shaft drives the oil pump. Probably still a pretty buzzy ride at best.

2003-21k mi

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:49 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
This may be a stupid question (I ask one every few decades ). But how badly would the Vulcan run if you simply removed the balancers from the engine?
smooth as a crackhead on payday.balancers are made for balancing. I don't think the engineering department would put them inside the engine for no reason.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
smooth as a crackhead on payday.balancers are made for balancing. I don't think the engineering department would put them inside the engine for no reason.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
Well there was a reason...to make it run "smooth". The Vulcan motor is rubber mounted AND balanced. Remember there are Harley's that are rubber mounted, but not balanced. (There are ones that are balanced and not rubber mounted)

The issue with the Vulcan balancers going out is they self destruct and tear through the engine case. Obviously if they were not there to begin with the engine, still rubber mounted, would vibrate more. My question is would this be intolerable or would it only be as bad as an unbalanced Harley?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:32 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

^ yeah, but if I want to ride a unbalanced motorcycle, then I'll just buy a Harley.

yup, "smooth as a crackhead on payday." classic!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 07-31-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement