Coaster question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Coaster question

I took off my goat's belly and the smog lines to the cylinders. Instead of using coaster plates I just put 5/8" vacuum plugs and hose clamps on where I took the hoses off the cylinders. I get alot of popping on deceleration, would it be less if I put on coaster plates ? Also, I don't mind the popping, and I know you can reduce it by adjusting carbs, but can you tell me does the popping hurt anything ? Thanks

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Kawasaki introduced the 750 cc class Vulcan worldwide in 1985. Due to tariff restrictions in the United States on bikes over 700 cc imported from Japan, the initial US spec model was limited to 699 cc. The tariff was lifted in 1986 and the Vulcan went to 749cc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 12:02 PM

Vacuum caps on the exhaust inlets is fine, so long as they seal tightly. They are effectively the same as coasters, but look a little different (I think they look cooler on a black engine)

The popping doesn't damage anything, but it's less than ideal as it puts extra stress and heat on the exhaust (which it can handle fine, albeit with the side effect of bluing) Did you also cap off the vacuum port on the right-side carb? That could lean you out and cause excessive popping.

As for reducing the popping, just adjust your right-side carb's idle air mix screw out (CCW) 1/4-1/2 turn at a time to see if it helps with the popping. Should work fine so long as your carbs are clean and in good working order.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 12:24 PM

+1 on the caps, same thing.

Coast enrichers could be stuck, which would cause decel pop.

If I unplug the vacuum port on the right side carb, it will go off like a cannon on long decels. Not pop-pop, just one big ka-BOOM. Now that could damage a muffler, but pop-pops shouldn't.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thank you very much for the inputs !!

I love this forum, wish I had more knowledge of the Vulcan to help others out too.

I have a black motor, and the caps look fine, I used high quality anodized black hose clamps to hold on the plugs so NP there. Thank you for the info on blocking the vacuum line on carb, I will do that right away. My bike doesn't bang, it just pop pops, and call me crazy but I kinda like it, lol.

Another question please, My bike starts and idles great, but when I take off it seems like it is running on only one cylinder. It misses and sounds like a piece of junk, as soon as I give it gas and get going it feels like the other cylinder kicks in and runs great the whole time I am riding it, no miss at all. Any ideas, could it be because the vacuum line isn't plugged ? Thanks again for the help.

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Kawasaki introduced the 750 cc class Vulcan worldwide in 1985. Due to tariff restrictions in the United States on bikes over 700 cc imported from Japan, the initial US spec model was limited to 699 cc. The tariff was lifted in 1986 and the Vulcan went to 749cc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:17 PM

That sounds more like a clogged pilot jet in one of the carbs, on whichever cylinder isn't firing.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

TY

Thanks Spockster !

I will tank the carbs when I take out engine this fall to change stator. Guess it won't hurt to ride it that way a few months. I put a whole can of seafoam in it yesterday, that might help.

Is your name in reference to Spock from Star Trek ? If so you would like this, I got my Vulcan on the day Leonard Nimoy died and I call it Spock to honor him

1985 VN700A
FYI :
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanlover View Post
Thanks Spockster !

I will tank the carbs when I take out engine this fall to change stator. Guess it won't hurt to ride it that way a few months. I put a whole can of seafoam in it yesterday, that might help.

Is your name in reference to Spock from Star Trek ? If so you would like this, I got my Vulcan on the day Leonard Nimoy died and I call it Spock to honor him
You're welcome. Think you're the first to ask....

The day I got my bike, I rode by a friend's shop, he had an old Sportster then. When he looked at my bike he says, "Ya got a Spockster!"

Mine popped a lot on decel when I first started riding it, I had it earshaved and coastered before the first ride. One tank with seafoam and the popping stopped, I figured it was the coast enrichers. I still haven't uncapped the air screws.

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement