So, as of late, my moto's been shakin' pretty good. Shook itself good enough to get full butt-o-meter and footpeg vibrations, even shook the top motor mount loose and almost out. SO! Tore the engine off and did the dampers to ease the obviously excessive engine vibrations. 3 weeks later, I now have:
3-new gaskets/o-rings on everything
4-painted the engine Satin GM Black
5-installed a used MOSFET R/R
and I more or less wanted to post the results (and some pics to come later)
excruciating details BELOW
1 - the dampers (92075-1748 x 2 ; 92075-1747 x 4) fell out of the balancer gear as soon as I pulled it out of its place. They were fully intact but were obviously shrunken and there was visible play between the gear and the balancer shaft when rotating the engine The new ones seem to have calmed the vibrations of the engine felt by touching the engine, and now the footpeg/butt vibration is not as violent as it was at 5k rmp, but the vibration is still there, albeit not harsh. The mirrors shake slightly at idle, as does the bike as it sits on the centerstand. Not sure if it could be considered "normal" but until it proves tiresome or harsh, I will assume it was a successful and proper install. Jacked the engine slightly, loosened all 3 motor mounts, then torqued them all to 33 ft-lbs (I believe this is the correct torque spec) and I will see if this helps.
2 - the stator was gunked up a little bit as can be seen in a previous post. I cleaned it with a bit of gasoline and rinsed it with distilled water while I had the stator case off to do the dampers.
3 - (stator case gasket 11060-1089 | exhaust crush washer x2 11060-1119 | screw o rings x3 92055-109 | stator cover o ring 92055-1319)
4 - Stripped the factory paint with a few coats of aircraft remover, a nylon brush, toothbrush, and a hose, then painted it with VHT Engine Enamel - GM Satin Black. Masked off the coolant tube, bevel gear case side chrome, and oil feed line up to the base of the V so they would remain chrome. Bought one can, got 3 light coats in and ran out before being able to apply a medium wet coat. Shoulda bought 2... but I ran to the store before it dried and finished it
5 - got a used FZ-09 R/R from ebay and wired it up with new Furikawa connectors and a 30 amp inline fuse. Keeps 12.5 at idle, climbs quickly to 13.6 and stays there. I may be experiencing a brownout in the wiring, or may not be fully charging, or simply have a faulty used R/R.
6 - NGK iridium IX. Had a coupon for 25% off at advance auto, that's a whole free sparkplug!
also, as a fun side note, the upper coolant spout from the rear cylinder sprung a leak as I filled it with coolant. Took it out, cleaned the o-ring, flipped it, dabbed a bit of RTV on there let it cure for 20 hrs, and now it's fine.
Always take your time, and for puttin' the engine back in, HAVE A BUDDY HELP. That sucker is HEAVY
If you have any pointers, comments, or questions, I'm all ears!