Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yellow deposits on plugs

Good day fellow riders; friends and family. I have a conundrum. After a couple weeks of riding and breaking the girl back in to the roads of life, she had started to feel better and better. But now I have ran into an issue of her restarting after a long ride; not over heating. She just will not restart until she cools down and as said just prior she is not over heating. I decided to pull my plugs cause that is the first thing we do with any starting issues. Seeing a "yellow" discolor or like fine powder depositing on the electrode I ran to my Haynes to look it up. It states that is from "overly leaded fuel", this is 2017; where can you get unleaded fuel anymore lol.

My question is how do you lower the lead of your fuel? I did put 93 octane in her when I first got her fired up those few weeks ago but that was only 1 tank, have been running 87 octane since (4 tanks full). I did put a cap full of Lucas Carb/Injector cleaner through the very first tank to make sure everything was blown and cleaned out but no additives since. Ive searched the forums and have seen many say they use "Seafoam", does that lower your lead content or is just for cleaning/maintaining purposes. I dont believe this is the reason its not starting after a long ride but since I ran across it I needed to get some more information on it. Please help with some advice.

CURRENT BABY: 2006 Vulcan VN750, 13k miles.
PREVIOUS Big BABIES: 77 Kawasaki KZ400, 88 Honda Hurricane 1000, 78 Yamaha XS650, 84 Honda Goldwing 1000, 86 Suzuki GS550L
PREVIOUS Lil Babies: 84 Honda Passport 70 (modified the heck out of it), 08 Yamaha Zuma FX50 (just sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

well, current fuels have no lead at all in them. they have a lead substitute. as far as the plugs go, it must be an additive (either one you added, or one from the fuel maker) causing the coloration.

as far as the no start issue when warmed up. how long do you let it sit before it will start? if its more than say 5 mins, but less than 30, AND you have an AGM battery already, you may look into doing the pickup coil mod. it cures a lot of hot start issues

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You beat me to it. I was going to edit my post to clarify that my comment of "its 2017, where do you get unleaded fuel lol" was a joke. Its all lower leaded fuel since the 80s; but there is no such thing is purely "unleaded" fuel. I work for a fueling station, all fuel still has some traces of lead but not like before. LOL

PREVIOUS Big BABIES: 77 Kawasaki KZ400, 88 Honda Hurricane 1000, 78 Yamaha XS650, 84 Honda Goldwing 1000, 86 Suzuki GS550L
PREVIOUS Lil Babies: 84 Honda Passport 70 (modified the heck out of it), 08 Yamaha Zuma FX50 (just sold)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post

as far as the no start issue when warmed up. how long do you let it sit before it will start? if its more than say 5 mins, but less than 30, AND you have an AGM battery already, you may look into doing the pickup coil mod. it cures a lot of hot start issues
Its been an average of around 15 to 20 min and I do have a AGM battery. This issue has just started about 3 days ago.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Agree with mtb, probably a combination of the cleaning additives, fuel additives and ethanol, along with the slower/cooler burning premium gas. Any varnish cleaned out could also show up in the plug color. I'd brush the plugs clean, run straight 87 octane for a couple of tanks, then check the plug color.

Does it seem like the starter is cranking slower on hot starts? Thinking maybe the starter could be ailing, they drag worse when hot if the bushings are worn. Could check to see if there's a large voltage drop during hot cranking. Low voltage really affects the VN ignition.

Mine starts best without opening the throttle, and if it has been parked 5-10 minutes, needs the choke. The premium gas can cause hard starts, but it sounds like the problem is still there with regular gas.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Thumbs up

I agree with Spockster,I think it could be Ethynal. There was a pic of what the inside of a carb looked like cause of it. I do like Seafoam. Have no trouble starting hot,was going to say AGM,but....Iridium plugs????Good luck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Agree with mtb, probably a combination of the cleaning additives, fuel additives and ethanol, along with the slower/cooler burning premium gas. Any varnish cleaned out could also show up in the plug color. I'd brush the plugs clean, run straight 87 octane for a couple of tanks, then check the plug color.

Does it seem like the starter is cranking slower on hot starts? Thinking maybe the starter could be ailing, they drag worse when hot if the bushings are worn. Could check to see if there's a large voltage drop during hot cranking. Low voltage really affects the VN ignition.

Mine starts best without opening the throttle, and if it has been parked 5-10 minutes, needs the choke. The premium gas can cause hard starts, but it sounds like the problem is still there with regular gas.
Sorry for late response, as I was editing my original post the other day my monitor blew up

No on the starter dragging, its very strong and battery is perfect. Now that I have a couple days off im gonna gear into her. I already had planned on doing my spoines so will add on checking the puckup as was mentioned before. I dont open the throttle when I start and do only use the choke and adjust it as needed (mines the same way, after about 20 min or so I have to use 1/2 choke). I did pick up a new set of plugs (non resisters this time since I dont have to worry about electrical interferance) and will try the straight fuel without seafoam for a couple tanks. Thx for everyones response and again sorry for delay.

May you enjoy your ride as much as your ride enjoys you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement