Ye Old Balance Dampeners / Vibration Issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Ye Old Balance Dampeners / Vibration Issues

Been having some excessive vibrations lately in the handlebars, seat, tank, and footpegs... I know what that means.

BALANCE DAMPENERS (most likely, anyhow)

I lost part of my upper motor mount a few weeks back and finally got around to properly replacing the missing components with stock rubber mounts, but I'm still getting excessive vibration around 4k RPM. I'm going to try and jack the motor up slightly, loosen, then re-towque the motor mounts to 33 ft-lbs and see if that helps.
IF not, I'll be looking to replace the dampeners. Now the question is:

- what to do about the stator while I have it out? -

I know it works great, confirmed by the fact the bike has never needed a battery charge/jump, and that the voltmeter reads 14.5+ at 4k+ RPM. It is also an '05, so should I even worry? Another question is:

- what can I do to prevent this failure in the future? Is it even preventable? -

because I ride it all the time, but the bike did sit in various used bike lots for presumably a VERY long time, as evidenced by the bad gas trash in my gas tank, bowls, carbs.

FINALLY: parts list. I know I need
4x - 92075-1747 DAMPER
2x - 92075-1748 DAMPER
1x - stator puller bolt (will delve more into the forums to find this one)

am I missing anything else? (besides tools, I have all the tools including a JIS impact screw driver)

I am getting so sick of working chasing problems, I just want to ride the bike without my ass getting shook and my feet getting warbled... Is this shared frustration with Kawi's 1st attempt at a V-twin cruiser what binds us all here at VN750.com?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:13 PM

Well, when the VN is good, it's a lot of fun. Low end grunt or high revs, and smooth all the time. But if yours is buzzing that bad, it's probably the dampers. Rubber in the oil screen is an indicator, but not conclusive.

The stator is purely your call. I suppose you could go through the tests to see if there's any weakness. We lost TPE, so most sources are unproven or have horrible records. I did find one source for a rewind, we need a guinea pig to try them. If you don't go for a stator, at least you'll know what it takes to get into it.

You probably need a cover gasket, the three o-rings for the screws, and an outer cover o-ring gasket, but I re-used that last one. Also a couple drops of Loctite.

If you have a local source for large bolts, that's all the puller is, with metric threads. The size is around here somewhere. I bought a puller for $11/ebay, could get a whole box of the bolts for $20 if I wanted to wait for the order.

Left-hand threads on the damper gear bolt. Always remember, the largest hole in the damper gear, remains empty. Mine shook so bad, the hand grips were a blur and she walked across the garage on the centerstand. Had the damper gear and weight assembled wrong.

I prefer the engine tilt versus taking it completely out. I left the bevel gear, carbs, throttle cables, and exhaust manifolds on the engine.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 04-14-2017 at 03:24 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Another note, I'm 99% certain you can change dampers without pulling the rotor. Pretty sure I did it that way the second time around.

When I bought my 750, I took one short ride, then dove into almost all the mods, by June I was on the road. Once you get it right, it should be pretty reliable.

If you like to make gaskets, I have a traced pattern I could photocopy, but ebay usually has them around $10.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

Last edited by Spockster; 04-14-2017 at 03:22 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
We lost TPE, so most sources are unproven or have horrible records.
Wait, what??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinturff View Post
Wait, what??
Last I heard on here, Tim Parrot Enterprises was out of business. Could be mistaken I guess.

2003-21k mi

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Sweet deal, I'll look into ordering those parts off Partzilla in addition to the ones I have listed above.

Definitely gonna try to do your engine tilt method, your old thread has some good pics and that seems a lot easier than having to d/c everything and bring the engine out

Thanks for the responses! You probably saved me a lot of time whenever I get around to doing this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement