Vibration from stator compartment - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

Vibration from stator compartment

I cant say for certain this is not normal, but I just notice a vibration/noise coming from the stator compartment. It happens when I first turn on the bike, it seems to be present when the bike is revved up to a certain point (the choke is on) or it seems to do it as the bike is coming down after the gas is revved.

I have done the stator mod, not sure if that makes any difference, or maybe something has come loose and I should take it apart.

Thought I would check here before trying to go for a ride tomorrow.

Cheers!

1987 Vulcan 750

What Has Been Done:
New Battery
Stator Mod
Spline Lube
Starter Relay - replaced
Ignition Coils - replaced
ACCT's to MCCT's
Seat Mod
Re-position Rear Blinkers
New Fork Seals
Lowered Shocks
Ear Shave
Coaster Mod

Still to come:
Remove air box
Side Mount License Plate
Re-Position Horns
New Mirrors
New Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:00 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
do you feel it in the bars or the seat?how many miles are on the bike and has it sat for a long time?did it do it before the stator mod?could be the balancer bushings going south...

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:54 AM
Giggity!

Garage
Excessive vibration that has started while no work has been done, I would check your engine mounts before I started tearing into it.

Have you done an oil change lately? Rubber bits in the screen?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

The bike has roughly 25k on it. Can't feel it in the bars or seat, can only feel the vibration if I put my hand directly over the stator casing where the noise is coming from. It will only make the noise if it is revved to a certain point it seems. For example, if it is choked up to a certain point, or if I give it gas it will do it for a second as it is revving down. It seemed to go away once the bike warmed up, but I ran out of gas to be certain of this. I will give an update a bit later so I don't wake the neighbors.

I rode it about 2 or 3 weeks ago for about 2 or 3 hours. I am not sure if the vibration/noise was there before I did the stator mod, or if it was there before at all. It is just something I noticed yesterday while working on it. It almost sounds like something is rubbing just enough to cause the sound.

The last time I did an oil change was about 2 or 3 weeks ago as well. I still have the issue where oil will shoot out from the oil filter. I can't for the life of me figure that out, but I have limited it to happening when I have the choke on and give her gas at the same time. I am assuming it is a pressure problem.

I will take a look at the engine mounts. I appreciate the feedback!

1987 Vulcan 750

What Has Been Done:
New Battery
Stator Mod
Spline Lube
Starter Relay - replaced
ACCT's to MCCT's
Seat Mod
New Fork Seals
Lowered Shocks
Ear Shave
Coaster Mod

Still to come:
Remove air box
Side Mount License Plate
Re-Position Horns
New Mirrors
New Exhaust

Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 03-24-2017 at 08:46 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

all the vibration items are addressed above.

I will address this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
I still have the issue where oil will shoot out from the oil filter. I can't for the life of me figure that out, but I have limited it to happening when I have the choke on and give her gas at the same time. I am assuming it is a pressure problem.
Only a couple things can cause this..

#1 bad oil filter.
#2 bad seal between filter and block (or adapter housing if you wish to call it that).

#2 can be caused by either #1 (bad gasket), or parts of the gasket (or entire gasket) from previous filter stuck to the engine.

oil filters are designed to withstand much more pressure than the oil pump is capable of providing.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

The noise does stop once the engine heats up. Not sure if that means its no big deal, but fingers crossed! haha, please correct me if I am wrong though.

Michigan, I have gone through countless filters at this point. So it is doubtful that it is the filter or the seals on the filters at this point. I have tried every which one that I have found on here, even the stock Kawasaki one. I also brought it to a mechanic, whom I brought it back to 3 times every time it did it (no charge). The end result was him telling me he has no idea. It isn't that big of a deal, as I said it only does it when the choke is on and I give it gas at the same time. Any feedback would be very much appreciated, I would like to fix the issue.

1987 Vulcan 750

What Has Been Done:
New Battery
Stator Mod
Spline Lube
Starter Relay - replaced
ACCT's to MCCT's
Seat Mod
New Fork Seals
Lowered Shocks
Ear Shave
Coaster Mod

Still to come:
Remove air box
Side Mount License Plate
Re-Position Horns
New Mirrors
New Exhaust
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Pictures are worth a thousand words, ano oil change... $24.oops.

Double sure the previous rubber seal isn't still there?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
Pictures are worth a thousand words, ano oil change... $24.oops.

Double sure the previous rubber seal isn't still there?

I wish that was the issue. I have been asked that so many times, I check it about 50 times before I put a filter on now.

1987 Vulcan 750

What Has Been Done:
New Battery
Stator Mod
Spline Lube
Starter Relay - replaced
ACCT's to MCCT's
Seat Mod
New Fork Seals
Lowered Shocks
Ear Shave
Coaster Mod

Still to come:
Remove air box
Side Mount License Plate
Re-Position Horns
New Mirrors
New Exhaust
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:11 AM

Garage
I had similar vibration issues. There were no rubber bits in the oil screen discovered when doing oil changes. I knew something wasn't quite right, so I did extensive troubleshooting and narrowed it down to either the balancer gear or the main bearing. Since I did not find any gold metal flake in the oil, I assumed the bearings were still good.
The symptoms were: vibration when cold, intermittent "knock" at idle, lugging sound when revving the engine and when engaging first gear, vibration in the handlebars and pegs but only at certain RPM's. The bike still had plenty of power and ran fine other than what was mentioned.

Check out this thread and see if you can find any free play in the balancer gear. I give details in post #8 on what to look for.

Remove the left stator cover and the top pickup coil and you will be able to watch the balancer gear turn as you rotate the engine (by turning the flywheel counter clockwise).
Looking at the left balancer gear, you will see 2 large holes in the gear. Inside each opening, you should see a rubber damper and a metal post sticking through it (from the hub on the other side of the gear). As the cam turns the hub, the rubber bushings will give a tiny bit prior to the outer gear starts moving. Here is what I observed:

Old dampers - outer gear did not turn until the hub almost touched the gear opening (the rubber dampers were nearly completely compressed).

New dampers - The outer gear started moving immediately with only a TINY bit of give from the bushings (less than 10% compression of the damper bushing)

When I removed the old ones, they looked and felt pretty much like the new ones (no visible signs of cracks or missing rubber, but the inner metal ring was a bit worn), but obviously they had softened after 14K miles and 10 years. You could not tell that they were softer by using your hands to feel them.

I pulled the left side case off and replaced the dampers myself for about $40 and it resolved all the above issues.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Garage
Check to see if your stator is rubbing against your alternator rotor. I just did the stator mod too and something didn't sound right. I pulled the stator back out and saw the bottom was hitting my rotor. I miss still trying to figure out how to set it up right without damaging my stator any worse than it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement