Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Red Lining

Hi,

I've just noticed my 2002 VN750 (only had for a couple of weeks) thermostat climb up to the 1st red line while i was sitting idle talking to someone, I immediately took off and the bike cooled down as soon as I started moving, my radiator res if completely full. I was just wondering if its normal for the bike to hit the red line because I am planning to ride it in to work and I do not want any engine damage from overheating at stoplights, Thanks for any input

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM

Re: Red Lining

Hi Al,

My wife and I just bought 750's and I also ride a 1500 Vulcan water cooled and the one thing that comes to my mind is how old is the coolant? If it's not fresh I would change it. Keeping fresh coolant will make a difference for cooling. If you do change it and still notice the temp gauge rising...then I would look at the thermostat next. Just a couple of ideas.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Getting to the red line is not normal.

If you are stopped, you should also be able to listen for a fan kicking in. If you do not here the fan then that could be why the bike is heating up

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:23 PM

Check you fan and ensure that it is working properly. That is the only thing that will stop the temp from climbing while stopped.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

My fan does kick on, i dont know if it only kicks on at certain times but i know when i park and get off, the fan is going. I rode it in to work today (bout an hour trip) and it barely got past the midway point but i didnt have to sit at lights very long either and it was also only a nice 80 degrees this morning. It seems that while i am moving the bike will stay cool, I just noticed it climbed up to the 1st red line a couple of days ago while sitting in nuetral in texas heat for about 10 minutes (bike was already hot) but as soon as i took off it cooled down. I've put new coolant in and also realized there was entirely too much oil in the bike so I drained and put the appropriate amount in (can actually see a line in my window now). I dont know if having the oil filled up too high can cause problems or not but im willing to try anything at this point. Is there any further troubleshooting I can do to make sure everything is working? Thanks again,

Al
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey Again,

Well I just noticed my coolant resevoir is completely empty so im assuming I have a pretty nasty leak somewhere. I will search around and see if I can find anything leaking, thanks for the help

Al
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 03:30 AM
Now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkb
Hi,

I've just noticed my 2002 VN750 (only had for a couple of weeks) thermostat climb up to the 1st red line while i was sitting idle talking to someone, I immediately took off and the bike cooled down as soon as I started moving, my radiator res if completely full. I was just wondering if its normal for the bike to hit the red line because I am planning to ride it in to work and I do not want any engine damage from overheating at stoplights, Thanks for any input

Al
No, that's not normal at all. The fan should kick in just after the needle passes the half way mark. If it's working (and it sounds like it is) I'd make sure all the air was out of the system by using the bleed valve that's located either on the thermostat housing, or near it.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Hello Again

Another update, Appearantly im a moron there is no leak in my system the bike was just hot, whenever it cooled down the res was full again. I have checked the fan and it does come on at the halfway point on the temp guage. Where might I be able to find the thermostat on my bike? Thanks again

Al
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 11:01 AM

Al,

Before you tear into the thermostat I would follow Ironman's suggestion and do a check of your coolant.

You'll need to remove the radiator cap (only when bike is completely cooled down) and see how much coolant is in the radiator. If it needs more then add it slowly until it is full ( Honda makes a 50/50 mix that works well). Also be sure that when you do this that the coolant in the overflow tank is at the correct level (between low and full level as marked on the tank cover). If you needed to add coolant you'll then need to release any air that may be trapped inside of the radiator and to do that you'll have to remove the gas tank to get to the housing where the release bolt is located (at the thermostat housing). If you do not have a manual I highly recommend that you buy one so you can see and follow the steps outlined in the manual so you do it correctly. If after you check / add coolant...and release any trapped air in the radiator...and the engine still overheats...then I would take a look at the thermostat next. Just my thoughts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I've ordered a Clymers service manual will let you know the outcome after I get it

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement